PSA: Don't use vinyl skins with your Nintendo Switch

C6BCRpOWMAAY675.png

The Nintendo Switch is finally out, and players are having a blast with their new console. There's tons of new things to find out, as with any new system. However, some of those things aren't always good, as it seems that using vinyl skins for your Nintendo Switch can cause a lot of issues. Maufactorer "dbrand" has made an announcement: Do not use any sort of cover for your Switch at this time. They tested one of their vinyl skins on a unit, only to find that after removing the skin, the plastic from the Switch raises up and becomes warped and damaged. The company states that any adhesive-based cover for the Switch is dangerous, and will damage your console's appearance. If you purchased a skin from dbrand, they will be cancelling all orders, and refunding customers in full.

As for anyone who pre-ordered a Switch skin, we’ll be refunding your order in full over the next 72 hours. Upon execution, you can expect an email from our customer service robots confirming that the refund has been processed. If you pre-ordered a Switch skin alongside other item(s), you’ll receive a refund for only the Switch portion and the remaining pieces will ship normally.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion Thread

In terms of other cosmetic related Switch news, be wary of docking your system, as you can really scratch it up that way, according to Glixel, and other users.

Last edited by Chary,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Why are people debating whether or not the Switch is a handheld or a home console? Despite Nintendo's marketing, it's still a hybrid and future revisions could go any way. It can't simply be compared to standard console or handheld upgrade practices over time, since it's not a full console or a full handheld. Nintendo marketed the system differently in different regions, too, which means that argument is dead in the water, too.

My personal take is that the Switch will get future upgrades of some kind. At the very least, manufacturing fixes to prevent things like defective joycon rails and fixing that god awful wrist strap. Battery upgrades are also likely in future refreshes. But really, you can't compare this system to a normal console or handheld life cycle, not at this time.
I turn on the TV, boot up the Switch Pro Controller and get back to playing Zelda - it's even better than a home console at this point, i.e., since it's on Sleep Mode it allows users to get straight up back to where they were before and no need to wait for the game to re-boot and all that. My only pickle with the Switch is the console's screen itself, can't wait to receive my tempered screen protector to apply it.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I turn on the TV, boot up the Switch Pro Controller and get back to playing Zelda - it's even better than a home console at this point, i.e., since it's on Sleep Mode it allows users to get straight up back to where they were before and no need to wait for the game to re-boot and all that. My only pickle with the Switch is the console's screen itself, can't wait to receive my tempered screen protector to apply it.
Ooh, didn't even consider the sleep mode thing! Hell yeah, that sounds dope! Also, from what I'm hearing, the screen is easy to scratch. When I buy a Switch, there's no way I'm taking it anywhere w/o a screen protector. You made me even more excited to buy one now! :D

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Ooh, didn't even consider the sleep mode thing! Hell yeah, that sounds dope! Also, from what I'm hearing, the screen is easy to scratch. When I buy a Switch, there's no way I'm taking it anywhere w/o a screen protector. You made me even more excited to buy one now! :D
Yeah, it's a shame that the screen gets scratched and scuffed easily which makes glass screen tempered protector a must. Just the thought of playing Mario Kart 8: Deluxe without the need to boot up the console just makes me want it even more!

It's a bummer I won't get to use the amiibo costumes I have unlocked on the WiiU but oh well, the in-game characters are more than suffice. :)

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Fronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgetting the PS2 disc laser issues or the 360 RRoD?
Yeah hardware always has issues day 1 or otherwise. It just so happens that day 1 is a huge influx of them in the market and everyone is quick to jump to social media with their woes. To be fair I don't think I saw anything as prevalent as the 360 RRoD among friends and coworkers, and that lasted for at least 2 years if not longer.

D

Deleted User

They didn't talk about the dock though. I wasn't interested in skinning the joycons or tablet but I did want to skin the dock and I don't see that getting damaged because it's just regular ol plastic.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
So, any advice from dock users about which brand to use for screen protection? It seems that tempered glass is the way to go, but since the glue incident, I really want to be sure to buy one that will withstand the heat caused by the dock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-