PSA: Don't use vinyl skins with your Nintendo Switch

C6BCRpOWMAAY675.png

The Nintendo Switch is finally out, and players are having a blast with their new console. There's tons of new things to find out, as with any new system. However, some of those things aren't always good, as it seems that using vinyl skins for your Nintendo Switch can cause a lot of issues. Maufactorer "dbrand" has made an announcement: Do not use any sort of cover for your Switch at this time. They tested one of their vinyl skins on a unit, only to find that after removing the skin, the plastic from the Switch raises up and becomes warped and damaged. The company states that any adhesive-based cover for the Switch is dangerous, and will damage your console's appearance. If you purchased a skin from dbrand, they will be cancelling all orders, and refunding customers in full.

As for anyone who pre-ordered a Switch skin, we’ll be refunding your order in full over the next 72 hours. Upon execution, you can expect an email from our customer service robots confirming that the refund has been processed. If you pre-ordered a Switch skin alongside other item(s), you’ll receive a refund for only the Switch portion and the remaining pieces will ship normally.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion Thread

In terms of other cosmetic related Switch news, be wary of docking your system, as you can really scratch it up that way, according to Glixel, and other users.

Last edited by Chary,

So Solid Jedi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vinyl skins.... Who uses Vinyl skins on their consoles??? I could tell you already, using any sort of Vinyl skin on your consoles is a bad move....imo it makes the hardware look cheap!

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least they decided to tell people "hey we could fk up its cosmetic appearance."

but i just find it more ironic that you buy the skin to make it look nicer, but also make it look worse :wink:

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, Nintendo just let's the consumers beta test their product. haha.
I wonder why they made it this way. It wasn't the case for the Wii U gamepad.
I guess we'll just see where it goes from here and what other reports the early adopters provide.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People have to keep learning this the hard way, never buy 1st gen nintendo hardware. Wait for the revisions and the one with improved hardware.

Yeah like the Gamecube ultra, Wii super, Wii U Plus

and all the other revised consoles that never existed because Nintendo has never done that before.

Get those.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I knew about Sony and Apple. I honestly thought Nintendo was out of the Foxconn circle of suicides and shame.
Dude, even the Wii was made there.
You get what you pay for.
Not when it comes to Tim Hortons vs Starbucks, Tim Hortons is both cheaper and tastier.
That's our Nintendo for us! Profits first, customer second!
What did you honestly expect? They're making proprietary gaming computers that run their own proprietary fork of FreeBSD, just like Sony's PlayStation 4.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If indeed it is a polycarbonate-abs blend for the case then polycarbonate is a fairly robust plastic as these things go, certainly one of the top among the general consumer use ones (I will spare the mini lecture and leave it at compared to ABS and HDPE plastics, the two most common consumer item plastics, PC beats them quite significantly in most metrics people use to measure strength and toughness). I don't know what was done here as far as making it stronger, or making it thinner for the same weight, but there are good engineering reasons to do such things.
It is not then Nintendo's responsibility to disclose things to aftermarket item makers, and said aftermaket makers would ideally have known* tested this before releasing a product for sale.

*vinyls are arguably reduced to the level of graphic design problem these days, though I imagine this might have caused people to pause in the future.

Prot8toPot8to_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Nintendo Switch is finally out, and players are having a blast with their new console. There's tons of new things to find out, as with any new system. However, some of those things aren't always good, as it seems that using vinyl skins for your Nintendo Switch can cause a lot of issues. Maufactorer "dbrand" has made an announcement: Do not use any sort of cover for your Switch at this time. They tested one of their vinyl skins on a unit, only to find that after removing the skin, the plastic from the Switch raises up and becomes warped and damaged. The company states that any adhesive-based cover for the Switch is dangerous, and will damage your console's appearance. If you purchased a skin from dbrand, they will be cancelling all orders, and refunding customers in full.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion Thread

In terms of other cosmetic related Switch news, be wary of docking your system, as you can really scratch it up that way, according to Glixel, and other users.
Thanks for the heads up, Chary!

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah like the Gamecube ultra, Wii super, Wii U Plus

and all the other revised consoles that never existed because Nintendo has never done that before.

Get those.
Gamecube had 8 NTSC hardware revisisions alone, the Wii has 8 confirmed as well, and Wii U has at least two so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If indeed it is a polycarbonate-abs blend for the case then polycarbonate is a fairly robust plastic as these things go, certainly one of the top among the general consumer use ones (I will spare the mini lecture and leave it at compared to ABS and HDPE plastics, the two most common consumer item plastics, PC beats them quite significantly in most metrics people use to measure strength and toughness). I don't know what was done here as far as making it stronger, or making it thinner for the same weight, but there are good engineering reasons to do such things.
It is not then Nintendo's responsibility to disclose things to aftermarket item makers, and said aftermaket makers would ideally have known* tested this before releasing a product for sale.

*vinyls are arguably reduced to the level of graphic design problem these days, though I imagine this might have caused people to pause in the future.
God, I love when you explain things, it's so clear and complete, with such nice vocabulary :D

In a more serious note, what kind of plastic (or other material) would you advise to use for a screen protector to be harmless, if indeed, the heat from the dock deteriorates the protection?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamecube had 8 NTSC hardware revisisions alone, the Wii has 8 confirmed as well, and Wii U has at least two so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The differences are minor, if near non-existent. Most consoles do that.
If you buy a console at launch, and then one 4 years later, you wont notice a difference.
The only real difference is something like the Xbox 360 which was known to be an overheating piece of shit and they fixed it years later.
Nintendo consoles however never had anything major wrong with them as far as I can remember, so the point stands you would never notice a difference unless you cracked it open and SAW one.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, Nintendo just let's the consumers beta test their product. haha.
I guess we'll just see where it goes from here and what other reports the early adopters provide.
you're not meant to sully your console with adhesive bs. and they certainly didn't check for things you were not meant to do in the first place.
not to mention that its not breaking the thing, just making it look ugly with the skin off

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played