PSA: Don't use vinyl skins with your Nintendo Switch

C6BCRpOWMAAY675.png

The Nintendo Switch is finally out, and players are having a blast with their new console. There's tons of new things to find out, as with any new system. However, some of those things aren't always good, as it seems that using vinyl skins for your Nintendo Switch can cause a lot of issues. Maufactorer "dbrand" has made an announcement: Do not use any sort of cover for your Switch at this time. They tested one of their vinyl skins on a unit, only to find that after removing the skin, the plastic from the Switch raises up and becomes warped and damaged. The company states that any adhesive-based cover for the Switch is dangerous, and will damage your console's appearance. If you purchased a skin from dbrand, they will be cancelling all orders, and refunding customers in full.

As for anyone who pre-ordered a Switch skin, we’ll be refunding your order in full over the next 72 hours. Upon execution, you can expect an email from our customer service robots confirming that the refund has been processed. If you pre-ordered a Switch skin alongside other item(s), you’ll receive a refund for only the Switch portion and the remaining pieces will ship normally.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Discussion Thread

In terms of other cosmetic related Switch news, be wary of docking your system, as you can really scratch it up that way, according to Glixel, and other users.

Last edited by Chary,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah like the Gamecube ultra, Wii super, Wii U Plus

and all the other revised consoles that never existed because Nintendo has never done that before.

Get those.

You seem to forget Switch is actually a handheld, and EVERY Nintendo handheld in the last two decades had redesigns or beefed up versions, some with improved hardware and/or improved battery life (which matters a lot for these).

Gameboy Advance SP
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo New 3DS

There you go.

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seem to forget Switch is actually a handheld, and EVERY Nintendo handheld in the last two decades had redesigns or beefed up versions, some with improved hardware and/or improved battery life (which matters a lot for these).

Gameboy Advance SP
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo New 3DS

There you go.
It isn't a handheld and is literally marketed as a console. There you go.
As far as Nintendo is concerned they have no intentions of beefing their latest console later unless hardware issues arise.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It isn't a handheld and is literally marketed as a console. There you go.
As far as Nintendo is concerned they have no intentions of beefing their latest console later unless hardware issues arise.

You might go with the way they market it, I'll go for what it is. Outputting a handheld to a TV doesn't stop it from being a handheld. Sony's handhelds have done so.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Looking at these comments... And I'm left here to wonder... Am I one of few who has never skinned anything in their life?
Ayy, same here. I don't even want a case on my phone, but it would suck getting the corners broken when I drop it. (yes, everyone will drop their phone atleast once). So I keep it on.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have to keep learning this the hard way, never buy 1st gen nintendo hardware. Wait for the revisions and the one with improved hardware.
typically with handhelds for better revisions so im curios in nintendo will treat the switch the same way or as a home console in this aspect

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Looking at these comments... And I'm left here to wonder... Am I one of few who has never skinned anything in their life?
i never have

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The differences are minor, if near non-existent. Most consoles do that.
If you buy a console at launch, and then one 4 years later, you wont notice a difference.
The only real difference is something like the Xbox 360 which was known to be an overheating piece of shit and they fixed it years later.
Nintendo consoles however never had anything major wrong with them as far as I can remember, so the point stands you would never notice a difference unless you cracked it open and SAW one.
You mean nothing like this?

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Dude, even the Wii was made there.
Not when it comes to Tim Hortons vs Starbucks, Tim Hortons is both cheaper and tastier.
What did you honestly expect? They're making proprietary gaming computers that run their own proprietary fork of FreeBSD, just like Sony's PlayStation 4.

I expected dignity and quality.

My bad.

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In a more serious note, what kind of plastic (or other material) would you advise to use for a screen protector to be harmless, if indeed, the heat from the dock deteriorates the protection?

The only time I really considered a screen protector for anything it was a big industrial thing and money was not such a concern, the end result being we built a metal box and put a layer of nigh on bullet proof plastic in there). As far as phones and other devices I have never seen the need and would rather have an extra case. Here you would want to figure out what you want (minor sacrificial handling protection, major scratch resistance, impact protection, UV protection....), if you still want touchscreen (I imagine this is a capacitive affair and this could trouble certain setups), any light handling (something to see it in sunlight perhaps), what kind of clearance you have either in your dock or the average one and what temperatures you can get to (it felt really quite warm to me and going by laptops and other electronics that could mean 60-70 C easily which is well into the range various polymers start to change their behaviours, doubly so if they are under some kind of load). We have not even talked about price yet -- if you buy a long roll of film (say https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tool...ecurity-Window-Shatter-Protection/B002QEXRCG/ which is .5m by 4m for £15), cut it yourself and replace it once every other month then you probably don't care, if you buy a single protection setup for $25 then a lifetime of a month is not as easy to take.

Equally it might not be the material but the adhesive method used ( http://www.adhesives.org/adhesives-...ew/structural-design/adhesion-cohesion-theory ) that causes problems.

JFlare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great job losers, you could't make a product that worked well. If you're going to make something like that for the switch, make sure it will work right. THEY ARE IDIOTS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.