Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have two Switch console's. Neither have been modified. Ones is a OLED and the other is a Light. I know very little about this thing other than it acts like the same thing on the 3DS.

My questions are as follows:

- Does this work on the Light?
- Get banned?
- Largest SD Card usable?
- Unsupported stuff?
- Can I transfer from an OLED to the Light?

Thanks! Price is just about right to get one, so I will if most of my questions get an answer. Even one I don't like.

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have two Switch console's. Neither have been modified. Ones is a OLED and the other is a Light. I know very little about this thing other than it acts like the same thing on the 3DS.

My questions are as follows:

- Does this work on the Light?
- Get banned?
- Largest SD Card usable?
- Unsupported stuff?
- Can I transfer from an OLED to the Light?

Thanks! Price is just about right to get one, so I will if most of my questions get an answer. Even one I don't like.
Assume anything you do to modify your hardware/software has a chance to get you banned. The only real fix is to play it on a spare system and keep it offline. To my knowledge we don't know 100% Nintendo's method of authenticating games. I assume it works on any console, that's at least what they advertised. I don't know if we know the largest SD card useable, or what's unsupported. We'll have to wait to find that out. What do you mean by transfer from OLED to the Lite? Like the card itself or the saves on it? That's a good question. I'd pick one up just incase they turn out to be a lifesaver for those that want to sail the seas and don't want to hardware mod on newer consoles. Especially now that Nintendo has ramped things up to level 8 for some reason with emulators. It's only a matter of time before this gets shut down and sued.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assume anything you do to modify your hardware/software has a chance to get you banned. The only real fix is to play it on a spare system and keep it offline. To my knowledge we don't know 100% Nintendo's method of authenticating games. I assume it works on any console, that's at least what they advertised. I don't know if we know the largest SD card useable, or what's unsupported. We'll have to wait to find that out. What do you mean by transfer from OLED to the Lite? Like the card itself or the saves on it? That's a good question. I'd pick one up just incase they turn out to be a lifesaver for those that want to sail the seas and don't want to hardware mod on newer consoles. Especially now that Nintendo has ramped things up to level 8 for some reason with emulators. It's only a matter of time before this gets shut down and sued.
Honestly I’m more interested in being able to back up my games and my saves from one Switch and move it to the other. Both have different accounts and different games and cannot access all of them on both. Ones mine and the other is my wife’s. I do not care if we then have to play offline because we mostly do that anyway.

Thanks for answering me! I think I’m going to preorder one.

Reactions: Holybond

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I’m more interested in being able to back up my games and my saves from one Switch and move it to the other. Both have different accounts and different games and cannot access all of them on both. Ones mine and the other is my wife’s. I do not care if we then have to play offline because we mostly do that anyway.

Thanks for answering me! I think I’m going to preorder one.
I’m pretty sure this won’t help you move save data around that’s stored on the console itself

I’d love for something like that too tho

Reactions: rcpd and BigOnYa

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So can this cart hold DLC? I already own all my own physical games but I'm adverse to connecting my Switch online or using an online store, all I really want is to backup my game and get the DLC elsewhere, then put that on the cart.

Also, is the reinsertion a limitation of the hardware or something they may be able to solve in a future firmware? I'm sure there will be knockoffs and studios reverse engineering this, so hopefully that is something somebody else will improve upon if the official group cannot solve it.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So can this cart hold DLC? I already own all my own physical games but I'm adverse to connecting my Switch online or using an online store, all I really want is to backup my game and get the DLC elsewhere, then put that on the cart.

Also, is the reinsertion a limitation of the hardware or something they may be able to solve in a future firmware? I'm sure there will be knockoffs and studios reverse engineering this, so hopefully that is something somebody else will improve upon if the official group cannot solve it.
Only if the original cartridge had the DLC pre-installed. You cannot get the DLC elsewhere then put it on the MigSwitch. It only supports dumping and playing retail cartridges.

As for the limitation, its too early to tell whether it can be fixed or not but some people have tried experimenting with it.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snap, well that was the only thing I really wanted one for. It would be nice to play some of the content for games without going online. Like Persona Tactica, there's no way in hell I'm paying them for launch day content that should have been included in the game, nor am I registering an online account to do it.

DM9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So looks like a another possible knockoff is on the horizon and price is $110 with a remote that can toggle

I wonder if big N can go ask you know who to stop this and figure out who placed the order

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol