Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Not everyone plays online, I'm such a loner that this flashcart would be useful and wouldn't get me banned since my switch is always in airplane mode. I thought about moding it but since it's a V2 but I'm not good at soldering. But still, if you have a moded ps4 there's not really and incentive.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And now we have finally completed the full Nintendo circle of flash carts. I could still remember the R4, Gateway3DS, and now we have this for the switch.
I fondly remember Gateway, the same concept applies to the Mig Switch. You cannot run homebrew, only legit ROM files with the correct certificates and all. I hope they don't brick consoles using clones.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure you can always stay offline if you want (that is what I do), but how are you going to update games then? The time that games didn’t need patches for serious bugs or performance issues is long gone unfortunately. Hell even some games from Nintendo need zero day patches (Zelda for example). So still wondering if that is possible with blanc serial numbers etc.

manu-m3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not everyone plays online, I'm such a loner that this flashcart would be useful and wouldn't get me banned since my switch is always in airplane mode. I thought about moding it but since it's a V2 but I'm not good at soldering. But still, if you have a moded ps4 there's not really and incentive.
But theres still a big problem: Game updates... And thats a big thing.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People really have low expectations on what modders can do even with the smallest exploit. I can see people downloading files and then someone programming a unique code generator, then possibly something to finally exploit the firmware just by using this. I got no doubts a custom xci script could potentially bring stable cfw eventually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol