Nintendo discusses Breath of the Wild's development at GDC 2017, showcases 2D prototype

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is almost here, but before the game officially launches, Nintendo has decided to give fans a a little tidbit of information as to how Breath of the Wild was developed. According to BOTW game developer, Hidemaro Fujibayashi during a GDC 2017 panel, he described that the team used a 2D prototype, which looks a lot like the original Legend of Zelda, in order to test gameplay mechanics and to get a grasp on how new concepts introduced in Breath of the Wild would work. He claimed that having this retro styled 2D prototype allowed Breath of the Wild to remain close to the series' origins, and that it also helped the developers brainstorm ideas for the open-world gameplay. Technical Director Takyhiro Dohta is credited with creating the prototype, which you can see in the video above.

C52yUyxVMAASQog.jpg

I wanted to create a game where the user could truly experience freedom in this play field, and a sense of adventure again and again, as they freely navigate through it. When I started to think this way, the NES Zelda came to mind. Every time the screen scrolled, there was a new discovery to be made.

When the players have diverse actions, items, and choices, an active game was created, where a user can freely create solutions. Through this simple, primitive experimentation, we made the call of what to change and what not to change to complete the game design.

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
ok fans prove to be blinded by anything nintendo say or do, its gold lol.

An open adventure world, you interact with, climb etc.

How on earth do you get these results in a 2D NES version.

the purpose of a prototype correct me here.... is to test ideas and how it will work.

That is not even possible in this NES "prototype".

Why do people blindly love and beleive anything nintendo say, here is what it is, a NES sample, if BOTW was a NES game.

It is not, and not even close to what is a PROTOTYPE, PMFSL.

Prototype is usually a basic version of the game running, allowing devs to test the engine/level and how its features work, add ideas etc.

So you all beleive that this NES "prototype" is actually in fact what nintendo used, then SHATING!!! BOTW was magically excreted out of someones ASS?

No, far from it, this i bet is just someone who made a game using the NES engine to get y'all going WOW this is ace as if this lead to that well done.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yea because you really create a vast 3d open world/action/adventure game that you interact with almost everything........ using a 2D prototype that is impossible to do anything that you want to do in the game your making.

FFS stop been a wet wiitard.

So you claim then, I can PROTYPE a 3D FPS game that allows the player to climb walls, jump off high moutains, glide through the air, by making a 2D side scrolling prototype (that cant do any of the features i want the game to do).....

sorry to say this, but this is if anything a prototype of what BOTW could have been if it was a NES game, not this is a prototype we used that lead to the creation of BOTW.

We're facing advanced stupidity here Houston. "Oh no, a song cannot start by the tittle because it you need like a gazillion words for the song and the tittle only has 3? how do you eat that they say the title inspired all the song? fucking sheeps"... LOL

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo doesn't see the potential to use this as the base for a Zelda Maker, then the company has lost its marbles.
This is definitely Zelda Maker stuff, notice the shadows like Mario Maker had.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok fans prove to be blinded by anything nintendo say or do, its gold lol.

An open adventure world, you interact with, climb etc.

How on earth do you get these results in a 2D NES version.

the purpose of a prototype correct me here.... is to test ideas and how it will work.

That is not even possible in this NES "prototype".

Why do people blindly love and beleive anything nintendo say, here is what it is, a NES sample, if BOTW was a NES game.

It is not, and not even close to what is a PROTOTYPE, PMFSL.

Prototype is usually a basic version of the game running, allowing devs to test the engine/level and how its features work, add ideas etc.

So you all beleive that this NES "prototype" is actually in fact what nintendo used, then SHATING!!! BOTW was magically excreted out of someones ASS?

No, far from it, this i bet is just someone who made a game using the NES engine to get y'all going WOW this is ace as if this lead to that well done.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yea because you really create a vast 3d open world/action/adventure game that you interact with almost everything........ using a 2D prototype that is impossible to do anything that you want to do in the game your making.

FFS stop been a wet wiitard.

So you claim then, I can PROTYPE a 3D FPS game that allows the player to climb walls, jump off high moutains, glide through the air, by making a 2D side scrolling prototype (that cant do any of the features i want the game to do).....

sorry to say this, but this is if anything a prototype of what BOTW could have been if it was a NES game, not this is a prototype we used that lead to the creation of BOTW.

Prototype noun a first, typical or preliminary model of something, from which other forms are developed or copied.

... do you really not see how something like this can stand to be a prototype by the very definition? How is this little demo that showcases the ideas of what they wanted Breath of the Wild to be not a preliminary model of Breath of the Wild from which the final form was developed? The NES styled version showcased the ideas of what they want to do with a new Zelda, while not being tied down to having to have close to final graphics since they knew the graphics and overall look would come with time, they just wanted to work out the very ideas of what this new Zelda would allow us to do. By all matters of the very definition, this NES styled Zelda title absolutely looks to be a prototype of the 3D Breath of the Wild game that was released for the Switch and Wii U.

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Prototype noun a first, typical or preliminary model of something, from which other forms are developed or copied.

... do you really not see how something like this can stand to be a prototype by the very definition? How is this little demo that showcases the ideas of what they wanted Breath of the Wild to be not a preliminary model of Breath of the Wild from which the final form was developed? The NES styled version showcased the ideas of what they want to do with a new Zelda, while not being tied down to having to have close to final graphics since they knew the graphics and overall look would come with time, they just wanted to work out the very ideas of what this new Zelda would allow us to do. By all matters of the very definition, this NES styled Zelda title absolutely looks to be a prototype of the 3D Breath of the Wild game that was released for the Switch and Wii U.

"other forms could be developed", thay stated they made that prototype to have a basis about the "The Legend of Zelda" feel, so it is into the definition.

Reactions: chartube12

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay. So what I'm reading is some tool thinks they understand any part of the development process when it comes to video games. This same tool also calls those who don't agree with him fanboys and the like.

Let's start simple. There are certain areas of development that clearly require a Three Dimensional aspect.. Y'know? Climbing and stuff. What was being shown in the prototype was just ways for Nintendo to better test certain elements of gameplay and whether or not they'd make sense. It's easier to work some of the kinks out in 2D than it is in 3D.

This is Nintendo's first true open world Zelda game. If you'd have watched the video without your ego blinding you, you'd be able to grasp the reasons behind their choice. But noooooooooooo.. You think starting some shit show is the better option and bashing on everyone who believes the dev over you.. A nobody in the development world.

Am I wrong, @Retroboy, or do you honestly think you know better?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear we knew this since zelda U as it was code named was originally announced....*checks saved fb links* yup. Was revealed in 2014 by gawger via gonintendo. Same imagine as above too

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone already created the 2D Version of BOTW, and released the Beta. It works really well now too, and the dev is still working on it.

However Nintendo took the game down from the internet with a DMCA takedown request.

However, you may still be able to find a working download of the game, it's called "Breath". So search the internet, I'm sure you can find it somewhere.

Reactions: Jayro

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Someone already created the 2D Version of BOTW, and released the Beta. It works really well now too, and the dev is still working on it.

However Nintendo took the game down from the internet with a DMCA takedown request.

However, you may still be able to find a working download of the game, it's called "Breath". So search the internet, I'm sure you can find it somewhere.
necrobump! ;o;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too