Nintendo strikes and blocks YouTube videos for Breath of the Wild's multiplayer mod

FtFAEtSaQAAadDy.jpg

Nintendo is back again with their classic copyright shenanigans, and this time it's once again against YouTube content creators.
The modding community for Breath of the Wild has been a popular topic and a new way to play the game ever since the release of the original back in 2017, from some meandering but funny mods like adding Waluigi as a model for Link, to mods adding entirely new content in the form of fanmade DLC "Second Wind", the game is being kept very much alive and fresh even 6 years after its original release.

However, Nintendo seems to think otherwise, and they don't like it when people play the game in forms they don't force intend you to, so in their usual grasp and abuse of the copyright system, and taking advantage of YouTube's awful system to dealing with copyright stuff, they blocked several videos of YouTube content creators that dared to showcase any kind of mods regarding Breath of the Wild (and some that also showcased other games, like Pokemon Scarlet/Violet) in this past week. Some creators not only got their videos blocked, but they also started receiving copyright strikes on a handful of their videos, to which, for those unaware, accumulating 3 copyright strikes means the immediate termination of the entire YouTube channel, and having one's entire YT channel at risk is something of great concern.

This isn't the first time Nintendo does something like this, and most certainly (and sadly), this won't be the last time neither, as Nintendo is well known for their tyrannical use of the copyright system to bend their will, even when both modding and emulation are known to be completely legal as long as there's no direct piracy involved to run the games, and more so since the videos are of a transformative nature and fall under the legal "fair use" term.
These recent attacks from Nintendo to BotW modders seems to be related to the upcoming release of the BotW sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, releasing less than a month away in May 12th, so it seems to be a tactic of sorts to "protect" their IP brand from undesirable usage by them.

Some content creators, like PointCrow, have started to counter-claim these copyright claims by Nintendo, as stated directly through Twitter:
PointCrow said:
Update: I have appealed these claims. As of now, they are still visible for you to watch -- however, they are not monetized. Hopefully Nintendo releases these claims, as I significantly transform their work and my videos are under fair use.

While the counter-claim can liberate the videos to be watched, they can still be claimed yet again by Nintendo, but this time with a lawsuit in hand, so it remains to be seen if Nintendo will actually continue pursuing this rather abusive use of the copyright system in their favour.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not surprising to be honest. I mean there used to be a lot of YT channels who only uploaded Nintendo exclusive games. Once Nintendo started dishing out copyright claims they pretty much ended them or they had to move to another platform to gain revenue streaming. Thats without any mods btw just basic gameplay advertising for them.....

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really understand. Posting gameplay footage is legal, isn't it?
Even under their own content guidelines, there was nothing wrong with the videos or mod. It doesn't mention anything wrong with modding, unless you count the line "only permitted to use Nintendo Game Content that has been officially released" which I think is intended to mean no leaking stuff.

The only other line which could be a problem is "We reserve the right to remove any content that we believe is unlawful, infringing, inappropriate, or not in line with these Guidelines." but it isn't unlawful or infringing as it's not pirating the game, using any of BOTW's source code or anything like that. And if multiplayer is inappropriate then Splatoon must be the wild west.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Not that I agree but Nintendo owns those assets. They allow gameplay videos as much and as long as they like.

Music industry dont tolerate you to use nothing at all, Nintendo can take this route if they like.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's legal, but you assume Nintendo cares to respect the law, which isn't the case.
Anybody can fill a DMCA for whatever they want, even if it's not actually valid.

Last edited by HRudyPlayZ,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
havn't you heard? according to all mighty nintendo law if they say it's illegal...than it really is! doesn't matter what THE REST OF THE WORLD thinks or what the law REALLY IS. what they so goes and fuck everyone else! :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moves like this make me wonder if TotK has a multiplayer mode that they've yet to reveal (or perhaps intend to add later as DLC). Because I mean there are multiplayer mods of older Zelda games like Ocarina of Time or newer games like Mario Odyssey that Nintendo hasn't even bothered to strike down. I find it curious I guess.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Honestly, I'm more surprised those assholes didn't do this the nanosecond this mod was unveiled.
Well, if you know what the Streisand effect is, you know retarted moves like these just only have the opposite effect of what those idiots at craptendo want.

Reactions: Henx

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, AFAIK,
modding games is legal
modding console is legal
emulator is legal

The only way they'd have to legally take his videos down would be to prouve he is using an illegally obtained rom
Do they have any proof?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I mean, AFAIK,
modding games is legal
modding console is legal
emulator is legal

The only way they'd have to legally take his videos down would be to prouve he is using an illegally obtained rom
Do they have any proof?
The content is borrowed, meaning we apparently have no legal right to share or record this content. Let alone modifying it to add or change mechanics. According to Nintendo anyway…

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto