DidYouKnowGaming wins counter-DMCA against Nintendo, "Heroes of Hyrule" video restored on YouTube

1672861957753.png

A month ago, the popular gaming journalist YouTube channel had one of its most recent and popular videos taken down by a direct DMCA from Nintendo. Since then, DYKG started to go through their options to know what the best course of action would be against the gaming tyrant, and fortunately it seems like YouTube's system worked in favor of Did You Know Gaming.

Shane Gill, the creator of DYKG, worked on a counter-DMCA through YouTube's system, which allows for a creator to counter any kind of flagged video under a DMCA notice. YouTube's system is known to falsely flag videos that might have any kind of visual or audio resemblance to something in their own database, but in this case, it seems like the DMCA came directly from Nintendo, and not through a 3rd party nor a false account.

An interesting instance in all of this matter, is that, according to Shane Gill, Nintendo's claim about the video was that Did You Know Gaming was using "unauthorized material", and while this could very well mean unauthorized use of either some imagery or audio, Gill implies that the sole purpose of Nintendo wanting the video removed was because they didn't want anything uncovered by DYKG to be on the public eye.

However, there's still the possibility that, given the circumstances, Nintendo could try to take the people in charge of the channel directly to court to remove the video from YouTube once and for all, but for that they'd have to fight through the Fair Use instance of the copyright law, which is what DYKG gaming used in their counter-claim.

:arrow: Restored "Heroes of Hyrule" video on YouTube

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dmca is just a convenient tool, which Nintondo uses to shot liars who spit bullshit on them.
That's not how dmca works. You can't just use dmca to quash rumors whether what they were saying was a lie or not.
BTW if the Heroes of hyrule really exists as DYKG claimed, why no footage of it was ever released?
Because game companies don't typically release footage of prototypes and game pitches that never actually get released. Did you actually watch the video? The information came from people who literally worked on nintendo games and is corroborated by multiple sources. Stop being a conspiracy theorist.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent news. I adore Nintendo, but also, fuck Nintendo.

Iunno. It's complicated.
Post automatically merged:

I swear Nintendo's legal team have no idea what they're doing. Every time they strike someone with copyright claim, it just backfires. Their lawyers are just beyond stoopit.
They do seem to try and lean on a 'shock and awe' tactic. I think they hope the name they're representing just frightens people into instantly backing down, and when they don't, they have no idea how to proceed.

Absolute paper tiger.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way I see this mess stopping, is for someone to have the kind of legal team to brow beat Nintendo's lawyers at their own game. Especially considering how the law system here is wholly operating on precedents, it would take a decisive victory to start walking back the wholesale corruption that has since been bankrolled by larger companies such as Nintendo itself.

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good.
It was stupid to be taken down to begin with. To my understanding, no actual gameplay footage was even showcased. It was purely for documentation purposes.

The game never even came out either. Lol

Reactions: Kioku

Naster

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I wonder how you will squick when Nintendo will start taking down every video with their games from Youtube. Move their content to some NicoNicoDouga and their own service. Don't fight a dragon.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
im curious. i mean, of course i liked that Nintendo lost, but dykg talk 99% of the time about nintendo (in a world where people are avoiding talking about nintendo, precisely because they are one of the worst companies and use stupid policies about protecting ip). so yeah, idk if things only get worse from then in the future. maybe now nintendo will focus on them for every video, from now on?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good job DYKG nintendo bit you and you bit back. still next time i bet if nintendo try's this again... it's going be a low blow.

Reactions: Jayro

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
"YouTuber clicks 3 buttons on website, gets video restored"

Is this what qualifies as news these days? I've done this a dozen times myself, where's my exposure?

I don't think you realize the scope of this counterclaim. There are several things to consider here:
  1. This isn't just a bot falsely claiming some audio in a video (which is how most copyright claims are done, and several of these I have countered myself). This was a manual claim from what I could gather by NoA. Sure the video might have been flagged by use of copyrighted audio, but that doesn't seem to be the main reason of the claim from what DYKG mentions (and besides, most YouTube channels nowadays rely on Patreon for income, YT's ad money gets eaten up if a video gets claimed, and it's not as profitable anymore even without ads).
  2. Nintendo went after a very specific video which detailed some of their inner workings and also specifics about a planned game back in the 2000s, one we never heard of before. Going after a journalist effort to cover this can fall under a wide category of iffy law terms, which in most cases favours the journalists themselves, but in this specific case, all things point to them not wanting this to be exposed, which is quite shady.
  3. After a counterclaim is made, the other party has a deadline of around 10 days to review and counter yet again, but those 10 days passed without any notice from NoA directly.
  4. DYGK counterclaiming the video has many, many risks. YouTube's ToS specifies that, given the circumstances, after a counterclaim is made, one of the involved parties can escalate the claim, and then the issue gets taken to court. DYKG used the Fair Use clause of the copyright law due to the media coverage in a journalistic manner, but if Nintendo feels ballsy and wanting to fuck around, they can now sue and take this matter to court directly, with YouTube having nothing to do anymore as an intermediary and everything would fall directly on DYKG's hands. The guys at DYKG reviewed their options before the counterclaim with actual professionals in this matter (law and copyright) before enacting the counter in YT.
So as you see, this is quite important.
They are pretty much risking it all by just this one action, and given Nintendo's asshole behaviour in the legal department, it's quite plausible they might act, but only time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol