Nintendo strikes and blocks YouTube videos for Breath of the Wild's multiplayer mod

FtFAEtSaQAAadDy.jpg

Nintendo is back again with their classic copyright shenanigans, and this time it's once again against YouTube content creators.
The modding community for Breath of the Wild has been a popular topic and a new way to play the game ever since the release of the original back in 2017, from some meandering but funny mods like adding Waluigi as a model for Link, to mods adding entirely new content in the form of fanmade DLC "Second Wind", the game is being kept very much alive and fresh even 6 years after its original release.

However, Nintendo seems to think otherwise, and they don't like it when people play the game in forms they don't force intend you to, so in their usual grasp and abuse of the copyright system, and taking advantage of YouTube's awful system to dealing with copyright stuff, they blocked several videos of YouTube content creators that dared to showcase any kind of mods regarding Breath of the Wild (and some that also showcased other games, like Pokemon Scarlet/Violet) in this past week. Some creators not only got their videos blocked, but they also started receiving copyright strikes on a handful of their videos, to which, for those unaware, accumulating 3 copyright strikes means the immediate termination of the entire YouTube channel, and having one's entire YT channel at risk is something of great concern.

This isn't the first time Nintendo does something like this, and most certainly (and sadly), this won't be the last time neither, as Nintendo is well known for their tyrannical use of the copyright system to bend their will, even when both modding and emulation are known to be completely legal as long as there's no direct piracy involved to run the games, and more so since the videos are of a transformative nature and fall under the legal "fair use" term.
These recent attacks from Nintendo to BotW modders seems to be related to the upcoming release of the BotW sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, releasing less than a month away in May 12th, so it seems to be a tactic of sorts to "protect" their IP brand from undesirable usage by them.

Some content creators, like PointCrow, have started to counter-claim these copyright claims by Nintendo, as stated directly through Twitter:
PointCrow said:
Update: I have appealed these claims. As of now, they are still visible for you to watch -- however, they are not monetized. Hopefully Nintendo releases these claims, as I significantly transform their work and my videos are under fair use.

While the counter-claim can liberate the videos to be watched, they can still be claimed yet again by Nintendo, but this time with a lawsuit in hand, so it remains to be seen if Nintendo will actually continue pursuing this rather abusive use of the copyright system in their favour.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The content is borrowed, meaning we apparently have no legal right to share or record this content. Let alone modifying it to add or change mechanics. According to Nintendo anyway…
Ok, but isn't this japanese laws?
As in, it's a real juridic question I'm asking.
The console is japanese, does that mean that japanese laws applies on whoever buys their consoles wherever they are?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ok, but isn't this japanese laws?
As in, it's a real juridic question I'm asking.
The console is japanese, does that mean that japanese laws applies on whoever buys their consoles wherever they are?
Can’t say for sure. It’s just weird that it even matters.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can’t say for sure. It’s just weird that it even matters.
I mean, in most country, modding is legal, emulation is legal
I know modding is not legal in Japan, can't say for sure about emulation

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo being like this is exactly why I don't understand people on these forums when they say "I don't support piracy"... Nintendo deserve to have the Switch security broken wide open and all their games pirated by everybody. They're such a selfish and hateful company, happily putting Youtuber's livelihoods at risk for things that have no negative impact on them at all.

I'm glad I have an OG Switch so I can play Tears of the Kingdom without giving them a fucking penny

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo being like this is exactly why I don't understand people on these forums when they say "I don't support piracy"... Nintendo deserve to have the Switch security broken wide open and all their games pirated by everybody. They're such a selfish and hateful company, happily putting Youtuber's livelihoods at risk for things that have no negative impact on them at all.
its funny that you dont see the irony in your comment

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hum... yea... no...
I mean, I understand why people pirate their game
But still, we still need to buy them, because if nobody does, then there would not be any more games/consoles...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
hum... yea... no...
I mean, I understand why people pirate their game
But still, we still need to buy them, because if nobody does, then there would not be any more games/consoles...
I mean, that’s the point. Hit them where it hurts. They either learn or they stick to their grit. The unfortunate part is that the vast majority of gamers couldn’t care less about whether or not they’re viewed as people and not consumers. They just want their fix and will pay whatever the asking price is.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Ruryk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is the kind of action that makes me have no guilty whatsoever about pirating Nintendo's stuff.

That being said, I couldn't care less for youtubers and their monetizing or whatever.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, I'm more surprised those assholes didn't do this the nanosecond this mod was unveiled.
Well, if you know what the Streisand effect is, you know retarted moves like these just only have the opposite effect of what those idiots at craptendo want.
this isn't a streisand effect thing. nintendo isn't fighting to prevent knowledge of it getting out, they're just making an example out of them. a warning to others.
it's easier to scare people away via consequences than it is to try and bury something. it's the same reason why they will happily ban physical hardware (see: a hacked switch) but most the time leave the accounts in tact. they want you to come crawling back, having learned your "lesson".

Reactions: Ducolamia

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
However, Nintendo seems to think otherwise, and they don't like it when people play the game in forms they don't force intend you to
Then they should stop releasing such mediocre games - between this, Tears, Three Houses, and the Switch Pokemon games, there's very little to enjoy without significant modding and using Atmosphere cheats or utilising online third-party tools (such as maps).

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Based! Get fucked you hackers. This is what you get when you mess my sweet Nintendo. Whoever made these MODS and PIRATED these GEMS needs to be sent to the gulag. I’m tired of playing around. We need to strike back or else Nintendo won’t have any money to make their excellent, properly optimized, very worth it video games.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
It would be nice if Google put their foot down against repeat abusers of their copyright system like Nintendo. The process of appealing wastes their time and effort too. They should make organizations with frivolous claims pay damages like courts do.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
this isn't a streisand effect thing. nintendo isn't fighting to prevent knowledge of it getting out, they're just making an example out of them. a warning to others.
it's easier to scare people away via consequences than it is to try and bury something. it's the same reason why they will happily ban physical hardware (see: a hacked switch) but most the time leave the accounts in tact. they want you to come crawling back, having learned your "lesson".
A warning that does no good but get people pissed off at them. If there's something I've learned from bs of this sort, is that, rather than get people to back down or what, you just gonna have way, way more people reuploading whatever you're trying to block or what.
Eh, myself, if say I had a switch and it got banned somehow, I would rather look up for a way to circumvent it rather than "crawl back" to them. Or just switch (heh) to the switch emulator on PC or something.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is why i only pirate switch stuff (even Sony is nicer when it comes to disclosing exploits i still view it as a wise decision to disclose fusee geele to nvidia only and not nintendo as well (I already know the resulting perm NDA if they did)
Post automatically merged:

I will buy two copies of TotK and throw them both away, because fuck Nintendo.
dude just pirate the sh!t when it leaks your just giving them sales they don't care what you do with those copies

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hasn't nintendo always made it very clear that they're at best permitting anyone to share gameplay of their ips as long as people play by their specific rules?

didn't you used to need a contract with them, that they allow you to share their videos.

entire youtubers were dropped from their supporters programs after showcasing switch hacks or mods that imply switch hacks exist.

Reactions: Beaukilla

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
"their usual grasp and abuse of the copyright system"
If doing something that's entirely within their legal rights as IP holders is abuse, sure.
Trademark law is weird and if they don't take action against trademark infringement they risk losing the trademark. Maybe (probably) Nintendo don't need to go quite as hard as they do, but not taking action could be a liability that comes back to bite them later.

"taking advantage of YouTube's awful system to dealing with copyright stuff"
This is not "YouTube's system", DMCA takedowns is something every website has to comply with unless they want to get in legal trouble. Regardless of the specifics of how YouTube's particular system works, this wouldn't have been any different on any other platform.

I hate this as much as anyone, but that's just spreading misinformation.
Honestly. copyright law itself is more at fault here than Nintendo is. It's flawed to the core and Nintendo are simply following it.
I wish we lived in a world where we could have nice things without soulless corporations trying to take it away from us but the law is not designed in such a way.

Reactions: Beaukilla

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto