Ocarina of Time gets a fanmade short animated film in the style of Studio Ghibli by RwanLink

YouTube user, filmographer, artist and animator, RwanLink has released a brand new animated short to commemorate "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" 25th Anniversary, but with an artstyle reminiscent of that from Studio Ghibli.

RwanLink is known for doing all sorts of animations, environments, models and other art related to The Legend of Zelda in Unreal Engine 4, and now on Unreal Engine 5, working previously on other Zelda short films and recreations on said engines, like animated shorts based on Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, other shorts and showcases based on Ocarina of Time and its locations, and even an original story depicting Ganondorf's growth and life as a child in the Gerudo Desert titled "Ganondorf Dragmire" (with Dragmire being Ganondorf's known last name).

RwanLink worked over the past 4 months, juggling between a real-life work and other things, and after more 600 hours and 4 environments (from Kokiri Forest, Castle Town, Hyrule Castle and a bit of the Temple of Time) completely redesigned based on the original areas from Ocarina of Time, he managed to bring forth an incredible depiction of the world of Hyrule, meticulously created from scratch and inspired by the artstyle of Studio Ghibli, and the final result is nothing short of spectacular.

The fanmade short film focuses on the start of Link's journey from Ocarina of Time, first seeing him saying his goodbyes to the Great Deku Tree after the very first dungeon from the game, and then we see Link traveling to Hyrule's Castle Town to search for Princess Zelda, getting to the famous part where Link and Zelda encoutner Ganondorf for the first time, and then a quick glimpse of the Master Sword at the Temple of Time, alongside its spirit, Fi, from SKyward Sword.

if you are interested in RwanLink's work and other animations, be sure follow RwanLink's YouTube channel, and for those interested in supporting his animation work, be sure to do so through his Patreon account.

:arrow: RwanLink's YouTube Channel
:arrow: RwanLink's Patreon

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let's see what you have achieved in life.
people are allowed opinions. and "I don't like stuttery cgi animation" isn't something you need expertise to justify. be nice.

tbh, I don't like it either, but i can definitely appreciate the work and skill that went into all of it.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is really cool, but didn't that animation come out a month ago?

Never mind, I was thinking of this

Yeah the one posted one month or so ago was the teaser for the actual short film that got released a couple days ago.

people are allowed opinions. and "I don't like stuttery cgi animation" isn't something you need expertise to justify. be nice.

tbh, I don't like it either, but i can definitely appreciate the work and skill that went into all of it.
I have to be included in that bucket as well (along with cel-shaded visuals).
The recent trend of animated stuff having low fps for their movements is something I've grown to not like more and more as more projects implement them.
The Spiderman animated films and others are a clear example of this, the way the movement is handled is really disorienting at times, and to me it's not pleasing at all.

However, despite my thoughts for both celshading and frame-pacing for animated stuff, for a project like this film by RwanLink, I can give it a pass, since the amount of details, effort and dedication put into is just amazing all throughout.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Yeah the one posted one month or so ago was the teaser for the actual short film that got released a couple days ago.

I have to be included in that bucket as well (along with cel-shaded visuals).
The recent trend of animated stuff having low fps for their movements is something I've grown to not like more and more as more projects implement them.
The Spiderman animated films and others are a clear example of this, the way the movement is handled is really disorienting at times, and to me it's not pleasing at all.

However, despite my thoughts for both celshading and frame-pacing for animated stuff, for a project like this film by RwanLink, I can give it a pass, since the amount of details, effort and dedication put into is just amazing all throughout.
100% agree, the fake low fps movement needs to just burn.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
100% agree, the fake low fps movement needs to just burn.
100%
Not even back when animation was actually done with hand drawn imagery was it that jittery.
It's just awful and not pleasant to the eye at all, even if the animation itself is good, the awful-fake movement needs to die already.
(Not related to this OoT animation tho)

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

Imagine one second the maker of this vid comes and reads comment hear, and sees some random dork summing up all the 600hour work with a "meh". Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are nevertheless ways of framing them in a respectful way...

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine one second the maker of this vid comes and reads comment hear, and sees some random dork summing up all the 600hour work with a "meh". Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are nevertheless ways of framing them in a respectful way...
luckily the rendered frame rate could be consider part of the "final tweaks" category, rather than "overall quality" category. I'd imagine they might go and try a few different renderings and see if the smoother looks better, then adjust key frames.

Last edited by osaka35,

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok? I seen this on the Legend of Zelda Movie post why is this on the front page? Oh because its animated and not made by Nintendo therefore its better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto