Hacking Zelda + Update

HyperVisor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just bought the new Zelda 3DS game. When I put the cartridge in the system it says it needs to perform an update.

I'm currently on system version 1.0.0E. Shall I risk an update or leave the system as it is to allow possible hacks for homebrew in the future? Thoughts - what is everyone else doing?

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
it's a good question.Me I just bought the game on interent but I did not reçu.J 'love as whether to risk making the updates, compared to hack.Est that the update is mandatory zelda proposed to start the game or not?

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if in the future they come out with an update im sure it will be for the current firmware as you two are prob the only ones who havent updated yet....get with the program foos.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody is going to crack the 3DS for a long time and it's going to be even longer before you can pirate games on it (there's no point in pretending you're interested in homebrew), so just update it and actually enjoy your console. Otherwise there was no point in getting it.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the 3DS firmware really has any security holes Nintendo overlooked, they will not be fixed until someone starts to exploit them.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you update, tell us which version it contains.

About the hack, we currently don't know which firmware could be exploited in the future.
You can stay at 1.0.0-1 just in case, but maybe games will require you to update so you won't be able to play new games.
If you stay on 1.0.0-1 and a hack is possible on 1.1.0-2, you won't be able to update only to that firmware unless a game has it. If no game has it, you will be able to update only using online update and it will download the latest version.

If you want to wait (unknown time) or play games right now, it's up to you.

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
by removing the 3ds, you can not access the nand and understand how it works to run the roms? if it is ever hacked, what will happen to all teams that make the nfos? If you did not answer, is what the update is required to run the game?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@solofrags :
I didn't understand what you are trying to say. What nfo has to do with this topic?
he is asking about updating the console or not using Zelda game.

Google translate is not very good
frown.gif

Are you translating from French?

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
their translator is bad, I have seen. The update is required if you want to run the game zelda, uniquement.Il is not the update that corrects the problem of Ridge Racer or other .So , I just wondering if you can start making zelda Sanir jour.Si can not, we will have to patch the game I think

lpm98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should update. it is worth updating to play Oot in 3d. It is in my opinion the best game released for the 3ds yet.

keasy

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a no brainer if you ask me, update and play the game.

Buying the console and hoarding it in its native state in the hope that in the future it is cracked/hacked is an expensive bet.

Update it, use it and enjoy it.

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update, 3DS wont be hacked for a while, maybe not ever. And if it is hacked, they wouldnt hack software that doesnt have access to the shop or internet, thatd be stupid.

RodrigoCamilo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The problem is that if they hack the 3ds, nintendo will just update their console and newer games won't be able to run in a hacked system, i will repeat something already said, if you bought the console waiting just to hack, get rid of it because it's no use.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Real simple answer. If you want to play the Zelda game Update.
If you don't, don't update. It really is that simple.
I updated and don't even have Zelda.

vodoochild81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people are saying the 3ds may not ever be hacked or not for a while. It's still very new. Also aren't there not enough are out there to justify releasing a card yet. no?

Also I mean if hackers are talented enough to update the AceKard to work on the 3ds no matter what system updates they throw at them why won't they be eventually able to do the same with a 3ds card in the future? Is it because the 3ds games are very online centric? I feel like no matter what hackers find a way.

These aren't rhetorical questions, I actually am asking.

D

Deleted User

I doubt that there will be a hack which only runs on the initial firmware, or if this is the case, that it's going be like this for a long time. The 'market' for such a hack would be too small for anyone, except hacking enthusiasts, to get something out of it. In my opinion, you should update your 3DS, play Zelda and enjoy one of the best videogames ever made.

vodoochild81 said:
I don't understand why people are saying the 3ds may not ever be hacked or not for a while. It's still very new. Also aren't there not enough are out there to justify releasing a card yet. no?

Also I mean if hackers are talented enough to update the AceKard to work on the 3ds no matter what system updates they throw at them why won't they be eventually able to do the same with a 3ds card in the future? Is it because the 3ds games are very online centric? I feel like no matter what hackers find a way.

As you said yourself, the 3DS is a (very) new system with added/improved security over the DS, so there's a lot to learn and understand about the hard- and software, which takes time. People need to understand that it can take a long time for the system to be hacked and also that there's no guarantee that it will be hacked.
Some DS flashcarts can be updated to run on the newest firmware, because Nintendo can't really improve or fundamentally change their security measures. Another factor is that these flashcarts use the header (and parts) of real games, which, when blocked completely, wouldn't start any more. This could lead to a lawsuit from the developers of the exploited games. Additionally a firmware update is only possible for DSi/XL/3DS consoles so it wouldn't change the fact that the cards still run on older consoles.

ccfreak2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
I doubt that there will be a hack which only runs on the initial firmware, or if this is the case, that it's going be like this for a long time. The 'market' for such a hack would be too small for anyone, except hacking enthusiasts, to get something out of it. In my opinion, you should update your 3DS, play Zelda and enjoy one of the best videogames ever made.

vodoochild81 said:

As you said yourself, the 3DS is a (very) new system with added/improved security over the DS, so there's a lot to learn and understand about the hard- and software, which takes time. People need to understand that it can take a long time for the system to be hacked and also that there's no guarantee that it will be hacked.
Some DS flashcarts can be updated to run on the newest firmware, because Nintendo can't really improve or fundamentally change their security measures. Another factor is that these flashcarts use the header (and parts) of real games, which, when blocked completely, wouldn't start any more. This could lead to a lawsuit from the developers of the exploited games. Additionally a firmware update is only possible for DSi/XL/3DS consoles so it wouldn't change the fact that the cards still run on older consoles.
As an addendum: IIRC it took a few years before anything meaningful came up for the GameCube, starting with the discovery of leaking ciphertext from the CPU when talking to the IPL chip.

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I think we can trust the legacy team who said he tested the games, and they marchaient.Mais so why not give this team their solutions to hackers to linkers? Does someone could tell me why the DS mode is cracked and not the mode and 3ds dsi? What has changed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill