Gaming Zelda: PH - Anyone else not immersed?

MartinAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.martinaustin.net
XP
Country
United States
I really do love the control scheme within Zelda: PH, but for some reason I don't feel compelled to actually play the game. I hope that I'm not alone in this, as I really really want to play it.

I never did finish Wind Waker, so I have a feeling that has something to do with it. I'm not attached in any way to the check that gets kidnapped in the beginning.

Thoughts?

Ostrakon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm not a huge fan of the new control scheme. (this is mostly due to rolling being relatively unresponsive.) The puzzles feel really easy, as is the combat. Collection quests aren't too great, and there aren't heart pieces.

Sorry, Nintendo. Innovative doesn't always mean good. It's nice that I don't actually pay for games anymore, since it lets me look at games objectively... I don't need to rationalize having paid for it, you know?

Looks like OoA/OoS are still my favorite handheld Zeldas...

MajinGohan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On the contrary, really. I´m reaching the end of the game, and the only real complaint I have is that the difficulty might be a little lax for long time fans of the franchise.
You can really delve into the game, there´s something to do in every square inch of the map. I´m still missing a lot of the collectibles and tele-frogs (or whatever they´re called) and that should keep me busy for a while. Multiplayer is another thing I´m dying to try out, but I´ll save that until after the main quest is finished. But to each his own, I guess.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really do love the control scheme within Zelda: PH, but for some reason I don't feel compelled to actually play the game. I hope that I'm not alone in this, as I really really want to play it.

I never did finish Wind Waker, so I have a feeling that has something to do with it. I'm not attached in any way to the check that gets kidnapped in the beginning.

Thoughts?

I'm not attached to Tetra either. The story is pretty damn weak and it's way too easy. I have fun with it but...leaves a lot to be desired.

Jeda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also haven't played WW (yet) and Tetra getting kidnapped didn't effect me in a different way than other random games where the hero's friend/mother/dog gets kidnapped/missing/turned evil in the beginning. So, just as in those random games, love for the characters is developed over time.

If it helps, just ignore that it is a Zelda game (hostage isn't called Zelda even once after the intro), but play it as a very well done action rpg.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I feel the same way, I like the game, but I don't feel driven to play.

IMO, the main problems are that 1, they had to make the gameplay difficulty really easy to keep everyone from realizing how inaccurate the stylus control is, and 2, the dungeons are way too short, and the puzzles are way too simple. It's got to be the easiest Zelda game yet.

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty immersed in it. I love the Windwaker style, far preferring it to the Twilight Princess or Ocarina styles.

I like the stylus control and find it plenty responsive and accurate, although doing it in this one game is probably enough. I hope the next top down Zelda uses standard buttons. (I really hope there's another top down one period as they are my favorite Zelda games/my favorite games period).

In terms of it being too easy, it is, but then so was Twilight Princess, and Minish Cap, and Windwaker, and every Mario and Zelda game for a while. I think I only died once throughout the entire game of Twilight Princess and that was because I didn't feel like drinking my potion. Add to that list pretty much every other game made in the last 10 years. Ninja Gaiden 1-3 and Battletoads. Now those were tough games.

Also this is going to sound stupid, but the second I saw a giant Pols Voice in one of the early dungeons I fell head over heals in love with the game. If I remember correct, I haven't seen one of those bastards since the Legend of Zelda.

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I stoped playing is the frikin repeating dungen. I think thats gay and I have no intrest in doing it again.

Link to the past was way more gripping imo

D

Deleted User

I like it but holding the DS with one hand is starting to annoy me a bit. I like the option of using the buttons instead of having this stylus control shoved down my throat.

*yeah I know, stop complaining and buy a PSP and shut up saturnp5*

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Link to the past was way more gripping imo

Yeah, but A Link to the Past is the most gripping and best game ever made, period.

I like it but holding the DS with one hand is starting to annoy me a bit. I like the option of using the buttons instead of having this stylus control shoved down my throat.

*yeah I know, stop complaining and buy a PSP and shut up saturnp5*
Like I said, I like the stylus controls, but options are always a good thing. There is no reason, besides requiring slightly more development time, that they couldn't have given the option to use normal controls too. I'm gonna change my previous statement that stylus control is cool for one game and they should stop it after that and say that they should give us the option next time. I'm actually really curious which one I'd end up using more.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
to be completely honest, the only thing that really immerses me is the controls.

The NPC's really don't matter and they're all pretty worthless, the area designs are pretty basic (don't know why they went with 2d construction)
I've only been playing it casually, maybe 20 mins a day, but it's okay..
I definitely like it a lot more than twilight princess, but I'll chalk PH up as yet another zelda game that makes me want to play windwaker instead (the pinacle of the series imo)

KarmaUK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's perfect for what it is, a hand held Zelda. It's not Windwaker, Ocarina of Time or even Majoras Mask, compare it to Links Awakening or Age of Seasons/Ages, and you'll think it alot better.
biggrin.gif

I know what you mean though, I thought I'd be nonstop as I have on previous titles, however I finished it early... Maybe it's just we're getting old!!!
unsure.gif

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I agree with the maybe it's us getting old part lol!
This game is Zelda Lite imo, overly easy to appeal to the wider DS audience. It's still a great game with excellent controls, awesome boss battles, great graphics and sweet uses of all the DS' features. It's probably the best game on DS for many reasons, other devs should be ashamed at some of the crap they put out when compared to this game. Hell not many PSP games come close to this Zelda.
Still havn't tried the English release, am saving it for a rainy day
smile.gif

*Waves at KiVan*

wovva

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think this is a truly excellent Zelda game. I hated wind waker, and never played past the first hour or so, on theother hand I loved Twilight Princess and I love this game.

Good graphical styling, good puzzles, interesting levels.
I don't like the repeating dungeon though, that's my only gripe.

CrEsPo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The only problem I see with the game is that it's pretty easy. I also don't like the fact that it reminds you at every corner to "write stuff down", etc. It's really annoying especially when things are so obvious.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
crap story, nice gameplay but too easy, side quests aren't quite fun or deep enough.

graphics are reasonable, i like both traditional and cell shaded zeldas.

still compared to many other games it's reasonably fun. i continue to advance through the game, but it's not like when i played OOT and i couldnt put it down, I play PH every two days or so.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my proper copy today and its not as good playing it the second time round. And its even easier.
frown.gif

Its a shame as with exception to Minish Cap I've fount all proper Zelda games to have excellent replay value.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post tbh