enjoy!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I took a look at the game, it uses seeminly uncompressed BMG files (a la NSMB and although compressed Animal Crossing), better yet the files seem to be unicode:
ファイル ︈ に
コピーします!

ただし バトルのデータは
コピーできません

ファイル ︈ に
コピーしますか?
Ć はい Ć いいえ Ȇ コピーしています。
0 朂錰到錰0電源を * 䴁0切らないで , 企怰0下さい。 コピーしました。 このフレンドコードを
0 唂估堰蜰0削除してもよろしいですか?
Ć はい Ć いいえ Ȇ タッチペンを どちらの * 昁0手で
* 舁0持っていますか?
Ć みぎて Ć ひだりて . 缂丰昰0右手 でよろしいですね?
Ć はい Ć いいえ 0 爂怰訰昰0左手 でよろしいですね?
Ć はい Ć いいえ DSのふたをしめてもかまいません
0 朂錰到錰0電源を * 䴁0切ったりカードを

kllk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I took a look at the game, it uses seeminly uncompressed BMG files (a la NSMB and although compressed Animal Crossing), better yet the files seem to be unicode:

I was going to do a translation (or at least, start one) - any tips on how to get to where you've got - I presume there's a tool for breaking apart the dump?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What you see above is a raw dump of the text, it needs some of the line ending stuff dropping to make it more readable.

Anyhow nearly all DS roms use Nintendos nitrorom file system, this means unlike nearly every other system individual files can be broken down into their components (there are however sub archives in a lot of roms varying from common like narc (search for narctool or read a few of the threads around here) to ones made by the company/game dev team).

That is besides the point, have a read of this thread to get an idea of the tools you can use and how:
http://www.sosuke.com/ezflash/viewtopic.php?t=457

Once you have done that browse to the \data\Japanese\Message directory (if using ndsts the data folder will be automatically loaded). Here will be a bunch of BMG files, open them in a hex editor. The first few lines after 20hex with read something like:
B006 0000 0002 0300 A807 0000 0002 0300

These are the pointers, they tell the game where sections begin/end. I have not gone and worked out how these ones work yet although if past experience with bmg files counts the chances are they are offset somehow ( 07a8 (hex) is 200 (hex) out or some such and how much it is out is usually related to the length of the pointer table or some such).
After this there will be DAT in the ASCII conversion, this is the start of the text.
From here I just pasted the text into a new file and viewed it in word (your hex editor should have a unicode option though), the chances are the section ends (00 hex) will want to be replaced to make it more readable, do not just do a search and replace though as 00 is also the start of a lot of roman alphabet stuff (see the staff.bmg file and you will see what I mean).

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I was going to do a translation (or at least, start one) - any tips on how to get to where you've got - I presume there's a tool for breaking apart the dump?
not to discourage you but with this game slated to be released in US in october of this year why bother?

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zelda Menu Translation

enjoy!

Thanks beethy. Solid.

And any translation patch completed (or even partially completed) that is released before the Europe dump would be more than welcome by the community, I'm sure. Being able to read what might be the best game for the DS even a month early would be fan ...wait for it... tastic.

beethy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191, that sounds hella complicated =D

You know what i'd like.. if someone could somehow replace all the bits of japanese text with babelfish translated text.
understanding what's being said 50% is better than nothing..

Rev2k7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191, that sounds hella complicated =D

You know what i'd like.. if someone could somehow replace all the bits of japanese text with babelfish translated text.
understanding what's being said 50% is better than nothing..
Yea lol , is that possible ? i dont understand it much , but can someone copy all text lol and paste english lol
biggrin.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is actually fairly simple, you just need to replace the ends of the section with 00 and then add a bunch of numbers that give the locations of the 00s (with the bytes flipped and accounting for the offset error), if the concept is slightly confusing think table of contents on a book. There are tools to do it automatically as well (or you could use a spreadsheet with a bit of copy and paste action).

kllk I should also mention that some of the numbers (usually about 8 bytes in) are the lengths of the section/file.

As for babelfish I assure you such a course of action would make for a horrendous play experience.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
none of the web based translation tools work better than giving you a broken translation at best. each language has its own idiosycracies which lead to strange rules.

you could probably use google or babelfish or some other tool to convert the japanese, but then you'd need to go over each sentence and manually correct and smooth out the translation so that it sounded more nature and made sense.

Rev2k7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
none of the web based translation tools work better than giving you a broken translation at best. each language has its own idiosycracies which lead to strange rules.

you could probably use google or babelfish or some other tool to convert the japanese, but then you'd need to go over each sentence and manually correct and smooth out the translation so that it sounded more nature and made sense.
Well i woulnd't mind going over it , if some exports all text and starts this i could help , with making it right
biggrin.gif

yaynds.gif

So if kllk gona get serious ill try to help him
biggrin.gif

Rev2k7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i got no clue how to do the import ,export of files , but i can learn but id bout hex it confuzles me
tongue.gif

But il help with googling translation and patching it up.

im trying to rip to the rom and edit gfx to make english there like , on the menus
biggrin.gif
, but i need a tool , ndstool and cmd crashes.
nvm i got it 2 work
biggrin.gif

kllk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, going to have a look at this weekend, but please don't hold out on a timescale or anything, it's just a project that interest me, as i said - to improve my japanese.

misterzeb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks beethy for your translation of the menus, and kllk or anyone else involved in a future fan-made translation of the game itself ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4