Hacking Zelda BOTW cartridge issue

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have a really big issue and i was hoping that somebody in here could help me since i am not as experienced as you guys are.
I have Zelda botw on a cartridge and it used to be fine. Today, since i am an idiot, i tried to install both dlc .nsps and see if they would work on my ReiNX and firmware version 3.0.0
After i installed them successfully with tinfoil when i tried to launch the game it asked me to update the game. I deleted the game and every save file and now even when I launch on normal firmware its prompting me to download an update for the game in order to be able to play it. Im really lost here and i dont know what to do. Its my little brothers favorite game. I tried installing an update file i found to SD card and NAND but it wont work through tinfoil.
Any of you would be able to help me out on this ? I would be the happiest person on earth.
Thank you and sorry for wasting your time with my nonsense.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a really big issue and i was hoping that somebody in here could help me since i am not as experienced as you guys are.
I have Zelda botw on a cartridge and it used to be fine. Today, since i am an idiot, i tried to install both dlc .nsps and see if they would work on my ReiNX and firmware version 3.0.0
After i installed them successfully with tinfoil when i tried to launch the game it asked me to update the game. I deleted the game and every save file and now even when I launch on normal firmware its prompting me to download an update for the game in order to be able to play it. Im really lost here and i dont know what to do. Its my little brothers favorite game. I tried installing an update file i found to SD card and NAND but it wont work through tinfoil.
Any of you would be able to help me out on this ? I would be the happiest person on earth.
Thank you and sorry for wasting your time with my nonsense.
how about updating the cart

Reactions: tbb043

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna need to find an update nsp, DLC is useless if the game isn't updated. From my experience installing nsp content to a cartridge will not launch in OFW Only in CFW, but thats not a big deal
I used layeredfs for texture mods in BOTW anyway.

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
how about updating the cart
What method can i use to do that ?
Its a physical cartridge not an .xci

At the moment i am looking for any remaining files in the Nintendo folder of my SD card and will reformat if anything else fails
I just cannot understand how its giving me issues on OFW since i just installed the dlcs on cfw and installed them on the SD card and not NAND.
Maybe i could try getting a BOTW .nsp and install it ?
I am really lost since the cartridge always worked without any issues on OFW and now its making me download the update for the game (then obviously i have to update my firmware)

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What method can i use to do that ?
Its a physical cartridge not an .xci

At the moment i am looking for any remaining files in the Nintendo folder of my SD card and will reformat if anything else fails
I just cannot understand how its giving me issues on OFW since i just installed the dlcs on cfw and installed them on the SD card and not NAND.
Maybe i could try getting a BOTW .nsp and install it ?
I am really lost since the cartridge always worked without any issues on OFW and now its making me download the update for the game (then obviously i have to update my firmware)
As stated above look for the latest BOTW update nsp file and install it the same way you did with the dlc Im sure you can find the update file from the same place you got the DLC nsp. The game wont work in OFW anyway b/c of the nsp you installed. I too have the physical cartridge

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
As stated above look for the latest BOTW update nsp file and install it the same way you did with the dlc Im sure you can find the update file from the same place you got the DLC nsp. The game wont work in OFW anyway b/c of the nsp you installed. I too have the physical cartridge

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
So it will never be able to run on OFW again ? Damn. Wondering how did this happen since i didnt touch the NAND.
And do you think i will be able to install the update on version 3.0.0 ? or does it require a higher version? Because i tried installing the update i got from that place and it gave me an error while i tried to install it on tinfoil.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
So it will never be able to run on OFW again ? Damn. Wondering how did this happen since i didnt touch the NAND.
And do you think i will be able to install the update on version 3.0.0 ? or does it require a higher version? Because i tried installing the update i got from that place and it gave me an error while i tried to install it on tinfoil.
Pretty sure the update requires a higher FW than 3.0. Also, you didn't intentionally touch the NAND, but how do you think the console knows you have the DLC. There's always going to be a trace on the switch itself.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah thats the basic trade off you either stay on a low firmware and wait on a coldboot. Or update to the latest firmware to enjoy newer games/dlc/updates
I wouldn't update unless you plan on getting the SXOS which would greatly benefit you in higher firmware's. You'll have to make a choice b4 OFW6.0 hits tho

Reactions: Itzumi

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Pretty sure the update requires a higher FW than 3.0. Also, you didn't intentionally touch the NAND, but how do you think the console knows you have the DLC. There's always going to be a trace on the switch itself.
Is there any place i should start to look for the data it retained about it ? Would a reformat of the console solve it or do you think that there is some fuse burn involved (i apologize if it sounds ridiculous)

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any place i should start to look for the data it retained about it ? Would a reformat of the console solve it or do you think that there is some fuse burn involved (i apologize if it sounds ridiculous)
No fuse burn, but I believe I've read that even a factory reset doesn't remove the update data, but I could be wrong.

A nand restore from before you installed the NSPs should work.

You can always do the no fuse burn update method so you can head back to 3.0.

Last edited by Soluble,

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Yeah thats the basic trade off you either stay on a low firmware and wait on a coldboot. Or update to the latest firmware to enjoy newer games/dlc/updates
I wouldn't update unless you plan on getting the SXOS which would greatly benefit you in higher firmware's. You'll have to make a choice b4 OFW6.0 hits tho
I thought a long time about updating since a lot of games are not compatible with this version but would the process of entering CFW drastically change ? I looked for a way to update and the only one I found was with choidujourNX and it will lock the console on autoRCM. Is there any way to update the console to a specific version without it getting locked on autoRCM ? and what would be the best version in which i can still simply access cfw through the jig+payload inject method ? I do not care about the ability to go back to a lower version.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No fuse burn, but I believe I've read that even a factory reset doesn't remove the update data, but I could be wrong.

A nand restore from before you installed the NSPs should work.

You can always do the no fuse burn update method so you can head back to 3.0.

Thank you so much! i completely forgot about restoring the NAND if the factory reset doesn't work. THANK YOU!

What would be the best way to restore it ? And would it affect the console in any way ?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought a long time about updating since a lot of games are not compatible with this version but would the process of entering CFW drastically change ? I looked for a way to update and the only one I found was with choidujourNX and it will lock the console on autoRCM. Is there any way to update the console to a specific version without it getting locked on autoRCM ? and what would be the best version in which i can still simply access cfw through the jig+payload inject method ? I do not care about the ability to go back to a lower version.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thank you so much! i completely forgot about restoring the NAND if the factory reset doesn't work. THANK YOU!

What would be the best way to restore it ? And would it affect the console in any way ?
Any firmware is hackable to use the jig. Staying on a low firmware only for a coldboot just isn't worth it imo unless you have another Switch to play newer games. Just update the Switch normally through OFW

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you install DLC or updates a database in your Switch is updated. Removing the files or SD card will not revert this database, only a complete initialization will (including deleting the save data). Not sure why you don't just use CDNSP to download the latest update and install it with TinFoil though. The updates have legit tickets (the tickets are actually on Nintendo's server) so I don't see why a TinFoil update wouldn't also work in OFW. The latest update requires 4.0.0+

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Any firmware is hackable to use the jig. Staying on a low firmware only for a coldboot just isn't worth it imo unless you have another Switch to play newer games. Just update the Switch normally through OFW
I might just update through OFW. My only fear is that i might get banned when i try to update it because I installed nsps and 5.1 might give me problems with Reinx. Also, when you're talking about coldboot you mean that these lower firmware versions might have a chance of booting without payload injection or what exactly ?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure any of the dlc requires 3.0.1+

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might just update through OFW. My only fear is that i might get banned when i try to update it because I installed nsps and 5.1 might give me problems with Reinx. Also, when you're talking about coldboot you mean that these lower firmware versions might have a chance of booting without payload injection or what exactly ?
Best advice anyone can tell you is get another clean Switch to play new content among the ban fear. Its a risk we all have to take in hacking. I'm on 5.1.0 with the sxos and been installing nsp dlc/updates ever since devmenu became a thing. I'm currently not banned, but I know the risks are still there. Yes coldboot wont require a jig or any form of auto rcm, but something like that would be best to have with emunand

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
When you install DLC or updates a database in your Switch is updated. Removing the files or SD card will not revert this database, only a complete initialization will (including deleting the save data). Not sure why you don't just use CDNSP to download the latest update and install it with TinFoil though. The updates have legit tickets (the tickets are actually on Nintendo's server) so I don't see why a TinFoil update wouldn't also work in OFW. The latest update requires 4.0.0+

Best advice anyone can tell you is get another clean Switch to play new content among the ban fear. Its a risk we all have to take in hacking. I'm on 5.1.0 with the sxos and been installing nsp dlc/updates ever since devmenu became a thing. I'm currently not banned, but I know the risks are still there. Yes coldboot wont require a jig or any form of auto rcm, but something like that would be best to have with emunand

I cannot express how helpful everybody has been. I think I might try to take the risk and update to the latest firmware if the cfw boot procedure is the same. Out of curiosity i will first format my switch and see if that erases the hidden dlc data.
Would you recommend a NAND restore before updating the OFW to be safe ? or a system reset should be enough ? (for what its worth).

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot express how helpful everybody has been. I think I might try to take the risk and update to the latest firmware if the cfw boot procedure is the same. Out of curiosity i will first format my switch and see if that erases the hidden dlc data.
Would you recommend a NAND restore before updating the OFW to be safe ? or a system reset should be enough ? (for what its worth).
A complete system format as in factory settings should be fine first. Then do a nand backup b4 updating the switch. I'm saying this only b/c I'm not sure if you made a nand backup that already has traces of cfw or homebrew

Denis2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
In the end formating/factory settings/complete initialization did the trick of deleting the hidden data from the dlc. In case somebody stumbles upon this thread with a problem like this they should give it a go. I got some weird caution message for resetting with a linked account. From what i understand the console won't be affected but my linked account will be kinda banned or something.
Will check now every con and pro of updating to 5.1 from 3.0.0 and probably update when i have time.
Thank you everybody once again for the help!

Reactions: MasterJ360

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
I remember this happened to me on botw once when I tried to install update dlc, it always asks me to update eventhough it's already in the latest. I did archieve the game then installed botw 1.0 again then let it update and that fixed it, dlc's are also gone though but atleast no nag.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: