Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

Initially conceived as an R-rated Star Wars movie, after being turned down by Disney/LucasFilm, Snyder said "screw you guys, I'll make my own Star Wars, with blackjack and hookers" (hence the R rating), and that's where things got really weird.
Diving deep into the same pulpy roots of Lucas' original Star Wars, and mashing them all together into one giant anachronistic stew of disparate characters and genres, with the same "team of ragtag band of warriors with different backgrounds come together to defeat the Evil Empire" line we all know and love.
It's also why the trailer looks like several different movies and shows in an oversized trenchcoat.

Yes there's bare-chested barbarians and gryphons.
Giant spider women.
Light sabers.
Space Nazis.
Ming the Merciless.
Gladiatorial combat.
A guy in a 50s style three piece suit.
Arthurian myth.
Cowboys.
Aliens.
Alien cowboys.
Monks.
Monkeys.
Prophecies.
Spaceships.
WW2 ground troops.
Spears.
Lasers.
Swords and sorcery.
IN SPACE.

Now some may say "I liked this movie more when it was called "Battle Beyond The Stars" and they may be right. A healthy dose of camp helps the pulp go down. I'm not saying it can't be pulled off completely straight, but I am saying Snyder is not the man to do it. While visually impressive, his movies are, quite frankly, ass.

So. R-rated edgy Star Wars fanfic with a huge budget and nice visuals.

Will it be good?

Probably not.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Proper world building and story in 4 hours of netflix film... I am not expecting much either and for many of the same reasons. Though at no point did I really get any star wars from that (replace the light saber a likes with a plasma falchion or something and it goes further).

That said I would hold out more hope of it being entertaining than anything Disney has given us for Star Wars.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Though at no point did I really get any star wars from that
I didn't say "Star Wars", I said the "same pulpy roots".

Seven Samurai, The Hidden Fortress, spaghetti Westerns, Barsoom Chronicles, Flash Gordon, and so on.

There are superficial differences in designs but the themes and the beats are all there.

Also, there's Jimmy.
"Anthony Hopkins plays Jimmy, the last member of a race of knights that served under the fallen king, who gets recruited by [protagonist] Korra to aid the Rebellion".

"Korra" is strongly implied to be a princess herself but as much as trailers give off most of the movie, they also often lie, so we don't know yet.
But just in case she is...

1693307456743.png

Even Snyder says this was supposed to be a Star Wars movie, and it doesn't look like he bothered to change much.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Finally managed to watch it.

It was a delightful pile of cliches. I don't mind that; when done well it's very amusing. BUT.

The dialog was terrible. The Star Wars influence is obvious in screenplay if not in worldbuilding, because every single line of dialog was on par with the "I don't like sand" speech from the prequels. Forced and horrible.

This movie couldn't escape Zach Snyder's wheat fetish either, and a good (subjective) 20 minutes of the movie are taken up by people caressing wheat in slow motion.

20 minutes that could have been used to give characters a little bit more personality than a plank of wood.

Yes, each character gets a cool introduction via an action scene in slow motion that establishes how badass they are in their own field (of expertise and/or wheat). Personalities of a damp towel but badassss.

But they exchange a single sentence among themselves at most. No dialog. No banter. No casual to and fro. No discussing plans, no commenting on any circumstance, nothing. Maybe they will get a few more lines in the second movie. Probably not.

It's not that hard to make a Seven Samurai movie but Zack managed to fumble it. Geeze.

Which leaves us with the visuals, which... suck balls.

Which is a bit surprising, because whatever else Zach Snyder's movies lacked, they made up with visuals. Well, not this one.

There's a bunch of scenes filmed on physical sets that look good, but anything involving a green screen (the majority of the movie) sucks major ass. The lighting is off, the background is horribly disconnected from the actors, and looks a) completely flat and b) three feet behind the actors.

Oh and c) completely boring. The weapon designs are great, the props are great, the spaceships look great, the scenery... is so incredibly meh. Most of the movie takes place on the Infinite Featureless Plane. I can't imagine how or why that happened, but every piece of CGI that isn't physically touching the actors looks like it was made in the 90s.

I liked this movie so much better when it was called Battle Beyond The Stars.

louza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rebel Moon is an average sci-fi adventure that will please fans of the genre but may leave others wanting more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?