Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Don't get me wrong, i don't think this is a good story or a good thing for anybody but it is funny to read people that will start to boycott / hack Nintendo (consoles) in protest of this story.
For one Nintendo will never know of your protest so not really useful.
As second, you will pirate games and playing into the cards of Nintendo.

I don't know if Yuzu was doing something illigal with keys or in the code itself and i actually never used it so i can not judge how justified the surrender is but I wonder how many of the people saying bad things about Nintendo actually would have the ba**s and the financial resources to stand against Nintendo.

My last Nintendo consoles was the Wii and the 3DS and from there I never bought a new console of them.
Wii U you didn't really attract me. The Switch is to big for being "portable" (it doesn't fit in my pocket) and is not really a good home console so I never bought one. The joystick drift, the scratching of the screen, the oled screen that i would not use are and the overal feel of being fragile, all things that made me decide against this console (it wasn't like this years ago with Nintendo consoles).
If the amount of downloads of the Zelda games is correct, i think Nintendo should finally understand that their games are maybe (why i say maybe later) good but many people have a problem with their consoles exactly as myself.
Maybe they should start thinking of making a console that many people want and not just do what they want.

Skyward sword was mediocre and the only Zelda game where i beat the final boss on the first try.
Twilight princess what confusing.
Majora's Mask hawful.
Breath of the wild is been critically a success but from what i know, you have to cook all the time....no thanks.
How Tears of the kingdom is doing, we all know that....so sorry Nintendo but one of your flagships isn't really a flagship anymore and many fans are not ready to buy your console or game blindly anymore.
There is a motive why when i was young I send maybe 1000$ to an unknow person / shop in Japan to import (SNES) games i could not even play because my japanese is marginal even if we exagerate but I was a collector and a fan but now a day, most games are forgettable and not worth my money or even my time to play them so I not wonder if somebody want to try the game on an emulator and if he likes it, then buy it.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep going man I'm sure somebody will care what you have to say eventually.
Anyway.

Yeah Citra will be back. There's no way the community will stop here. Me, I'm going to hack my 3DS even further beyond in protest. I'll make it sentient and think it's an iPod Shuffle.
Citra thankfully didn't have a court order against it, so there should be no issue with someone forking it and continuing the work. Yuzu might be a little more legally complicated, but there's a promising fork someone linked on this page. I don't think this is the end. Just a little speed bump

• Love
Reactions: Maximumbeans

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't had time to comment, but wanted to chime in since I haven't been online in a while...

After what Nintendo did to the YuZu emulator, I say pirate all their sh*t. To add insult to injury, I just bought the Citra emulator less than a month ago and didn't realize that the devs of YuZu also developed for Citra... So I guess I'm SOL now and out of a refund too? F*CK Nintendo!
Post automatically merged:

Citra thankfully didn't have a court order against it, so there should be no issue with someone forking it and continuing the work. Yuzu might be a little more legally complicated, but there's a promising fork someone linked on this page. I don't think this is the end. Just a little speed bump
The fork you might be referring to: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nintendo-switch-emulators-nuzu-and-suyu-rise-from-the-ashes-of-yuzu/

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't had time to comment, but wanted to chime in since I haven't been online in a while...

After what Nintendo did to the YuZu emulator, I say pirate all their sh*t. To add insult to injury, I just bought the Citra emulator less than a month ago and didn't realize that the devs of YuZu also developed for Citra... So I guess I'm SOL now and out of a refund too? F*CK Nintendo!

The fork you might be referring to: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nintendo-switch-emulators-nuzu-and-suyu-rise-from-the-ashes-of-yuzu/

Both of these forks are SCREAMING "Hey guys I'm making an NES emulator for (new console), I just need coders, an artist, and community manager!". One is a 14 year old who already deleted it, the other is rife with typos and begging for devs to help him even get the code running in the first place. :rofl2:

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of these forks are SCREAMING "Hey guys I'm making an NES emulator for (new console), I just need coders, an artist, and community manager!". One is a 14 year old who already deleted it, the other is rife with typos and begging for devs to help him even get the code running in the first place. :rofl2:
I don't have much faith in those forks anyway, but I thought the name "suyu " was funny as hell which I presume to be a play on the name of the "YuZu" emulator and the fact that Nintendo sued them which is priceless, lmao 😅😆😂

Exposed!! i wonder what these ""preservationists"" and youtubers has to say about this lmfao!
Thanks for letting me know so I don't incriminate myself w/ the things I say on a private entity's platform, lol 😂... I was never a member of YuZu's discord chat and had no idea they were sharing dumped copies of games and roms on their server by providing access via Discord. Had I known that then at the time the lawsuit became widespread then I would've realized Nintendo had a case on their hands. Plus, that was the main way Nintendo was able to implicate the YuZu devs according to the court docs. Unfortunately, YuZu chose the right path as humilating as it may appear for case law reasons.

Last edited by urbanman2004,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love all the pirates and theives getting mad now thet can't pirate these games. Imagine it was your game you spent 6 years making over 100 million dollars and thousands and thousands of hours of work and someone is playing it almost 2 weeks before coming out.
1709689008530.jpeg

Jerry gave in this time. Let's all root for Tom to prevail in the next episode too. Jerry can wait until Switch 2 comes out.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
That really looks... embarrassing. Funny how one can find the sudden revival of the dead projects within a week or so, led by the clueless people, unfortunately.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Tears of the Kingdom leaked last year, everyone was playing it on Ryujinx - Yuzu can't even load the game. Strangely Nintendo is using the leak of that game as an excuse to sue Yuzu.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a completely selfish perspective, the ideal outcome for me in this case would be for the judge to dismiss the lawsuit as frivolous, order Nintendo to pay the Yuzu team's legal costs and declare Nintendo a vexatious litigant.

From a more reasoned perspective however, Nintendo does have the right to protect their intellectual property and Yuzu is indeed piracy enabling software. The preservation argument in favour of emulation doesn't apply when the emulator is being updated to support games at their release date. The Yuzu team will never publicly admit it but they were well aware most users were using it for piracy and they made sure high profile games were supported at release to milk more money from their Patreons. They profited from piracy.

There is still the valid argument of emulator enhancements like playing at 4k 60fps. Unfortunately the reality of the situation makes it impossible for Nintendo to both protect their IP and allow consumers to play the game how they want to (unless Nintendo themselves were to release a Switch emulator with built-in DRM). I don't like the outcome because Yuzu's updates will now proceed underground at a snail's pace and obtaining the emulator binaries will take a few extra steps.

Nintendo were wrong however to take down Citra. Nintendo themselves shut down the 3DS eShop, making piracy a necessity to play certain games. The preservation argument takes precedence over Nintendo's right to protect their intellectual property in this situation.

While I don't like this outcome, in my opinion, Nintendo was morally in the right to take down Yuzu, but they were morally in the wrong to take down Citra.
I would agree with you in that they're right to protect their property, but in the way it's done sometimes leads people to get overly frustrated with them.
Citra was BS, totally agree, but I do think Yuzu had it coming because man, they updated their thing to play games BEFORE they were even out...

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you guys actually stick by this and won't go drooling and going crazy over their next release.
What kinda reddit shit is this? Who benefits from you scouring the thread for everyone standing in opposition of this just to lord over them with some pretentious, "holier than thou", vagueposting. It actually doesn't affect you what I do in the future. That's the whole point of any of these. I am responsible for myself and myself alone. I don't answer to you. I sure as hell don't answer to Nintendo.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What kinda reddit shit is this? Who benefits from you scouring the thread for everyone standing in opposition of this just to lord over them with some pretentious, "holier than thou", vagueposting. It actually doesn't affect you what I do in the future. That's the whole point of any of these. I am responsible for myself and myself alone. I don't answer to you. I sure as hell don't answer to Nintendo.
”I don’t care how many puppies Miyamoto personally kicked, I just have to buy “New Nintendogs + Cats + Parrots Soccer” or I’ll scream”. It is perfectly reasonable to remind people who have a problem with this kind of litigiousness that they’re actively bankrolling the perpetrator. It’s not the first time and it most likely isn’t the last. Let’s be real for a moment here - there’s a very good reason why a Switch emulator was targeted above all else, despite Nintendo systems being emulated since the dawn of time. That reason is black and it’s called “Steamdeck”.

Yuzu allowed you to play the exact same Nintendo games on other platforms, except *better*, and the resurgence of UMPC’s became an existential threat to Nintendo’s own hardware. With the Switch 2 looming over the horizon the possibility of sales being negatively affected by the existence of a possibly better alternative became both very real and prescient. This was the reasoning behind Sony going after Bleem! and it’s most likely a major motivator behind going after Yuzu - both products allowed users to play games at higher resolutions and with better framerate than the native product they were designed for, using hardware that is readily available to consumers. Ultimately the party most affected by all of this is neither Yuzu nor Nintendo, it’s the consumer. Devices like the Steamdeck, the ROG Ally, other “portable PC’s” or even just regular laptops did what Nintendoesn’t, and they can’t go after them, so Yuzu had to die, this is pretty straightforward. Suing Yuzu is infinitely easier than making hardware that doesn’t suck. Did any of this affect Nintendo’s bottom line? Most likely not by much as emulation is still most prevalent among big brain nerds and there’s a barrier to entry here whereas the Switch is a simple “pick up and play” affair. Did it affect it enough to be noticeable to them, or to seem like a threat? Probably.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Skyward sword was mediocre and the only Zelda game where i beat the final boss on the first try.
Twilight princess what confusing.
Majora's Mask hawful.
Breath of the wild is been critically a success but from what i know, you have to cook all the time....no thanks.
How Tears of the kingdom is doing, we all know that....so sorry Nintendo but one of your flagships isn't really a flagship anymore and many fans are not ready to buy your console or game blindly anymore.
There is a motive why when i was young I send maybe 1000$ to an unknow person / shop in Japan to import (SNES) games i could not even play because my japanese is marginal even if we exagerate but I was a collector and a fan but now a day, most games are forgettable and not worth my money or even my time to play them so I not wonder if somebody want to try the game on an emulator and if he likes it, then buy it.
I feel this is a "becoming less impressionable/more jaded over the years" issue that is happening to a lot of people these days. For everyone who has a "forgettable/awful" game, someone else will enjoy that game to the death of them because they experienced it at an impressionable time of their years that didn't happen with some others. It's not that Nintendo's games are outright forgettable according to some unspoken standard, it's that they merely don't appeal to your tastes.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God! if I see another white knight Nintendo bot typing these long essays I might lose it here....:wtf:
Yuzu fucked up b/c they profited on their emulator which required illegal keys. They made the same mistake sxos did basic greed. The users were basically advertising it with Tears of the Kingdom all over Youtube. Shutting down 1 emulator is like trying to cut off hydra's head - 3 more will just pop up in its place as long game dumps are out there.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand this decision. Does this mean anyone who makes an emulator can also be sued? Wasn't there a previous case where emulators being found to be legal? I thought emulators were legal as long as they don't contain any intellectual property? Now that I think about it, the machine itself is intellectual property (they spent time and money designing the hardware) so maybe anti piracy laws really do entail that emulators should be illegal too?

Apparently Dolphin emulator source code contains decryption keys in plaintext -- which I would agree are obviously illegal -- and yet Dolphin isn't being sued?

My moral position is that piracy and emulators are morally innocent as long as you weren't going to purchase the product anyway, in which case there is no victim who lost money (you can even buy a cheaper used copy and the devs don't make any money on that transaction either). The hard part is being honest with yourself about whether the game is good enough to justify purchase. If it's good enough then you should cough up the money, otherwise it's a victimless crime.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts