Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But wait there's MIGSWITCH :!: that appears with GARYOPA'S name attached in emails in leaked involvement? Why he was not hauled back off to jail hmm? Like why hasn't MIGSWITCH been shut down or sued? Cause Nintendo made them cartridges themselves for pennies on a dollar and he made the code perhaps? Also comes with a dumper not requiring a hacked switch?
The answer is simple MIGSWITCH is gonna sell Nintendo alot of switches in this last year with the added surprise of Switch 2 delayed to next year??? Sadly Yuzu was in it's way not making Nintendo one cent... MIGSWITCH gonna pay off GARYOPA'S Debt ain't nobody dumb put 2 and 2 together makes sense... I mean who wouldn't buy the latest greatest switch if they knew there was a 60 dollar flash cart where you could play any game you want for free??? It's like Nintendo saying it's ok to pirate using our hardware and our hardware only LMAO!!! Then of course they will ban you but in reality all they care about is that 349 dollar price tag selling like hotcakes and whatever monnies they get from MIGSWITCH :switch: ... Well if YOU CANT BEAT EM JOIN EM THATS WHAT NINTENDO DID... Drama so Ridiculously Sweet it's silly :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa

Pokemonfan6498

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
But wait there's MIGSWITCH :!: that appears with GARYOPA'S name attached in emails in leaked involvement? Why he was not hauled back off to jail hmm? Like why hasn't MIGSWITCH been shut down or sued? Cause Nintendo made them cartridges themselves for pennies on a dollar and he made the code perhaps? Also comes with a dumper not requiring a hacked switch?
The answer is simple MIGSWITCH is gonna sell Nintendo alot of switches in this last year with the added surprise of Switch 2 delayed to next year??? Sadly Yuzu was in it's way not making Nintendo one cent... MIGSWITCH gonna pay off GARYOPA'S Debt ain't nobody dumb put 2 and 2 together makes sense... I mean who wouldn't buy the latest greatest switch if they knew there was a 60 dollar flash cart where you could play any game you want for free??? It's like Nintendo saying it's ok to pirate using our hardware and our hardware only LMAO!!! Then of course they will ban you but in reality all they care about is that 349 dollar price tag selling like hotcakes and whatever monnies they get from MIGSWITCH :switch: ... Well if YOU CANT BEAT EM JOIN EM THATS WHAT NINTENDO DID... Drama so Ridiculously Sweet it's silly :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Even if you have migswitch for average users it's useless since not all may have backups and other important files like certificates

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, and even if they weren't profiting off of it, the money was still being used to as a means to foster the development of software that Nintendo didn't like. Even if it was used to reduce their financial burden while working on the project, someone was still getting paid to work on the project.
Sure, but there is no legal standing to sue for something simply because you don't like it. Developers who choose to fork Yuzu just need to keep their mouths shut and keep Nintendo-licensed code out of their project, and they're golden.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how much of this is true but, it may be that they are gonna fight back. Courtesy of a user in the Discord channel :-

'To the Nintendo representatives who are certainly here:

You will eventually pay for your bullying and widespread abuse of intellectual property laws to force a desired public image of yourselves. An attorney conduct complaint against your lawyer, Nicole Benjamin, is being filed for willful material misrepresentation of evidence during a court case. You will be held accountable for your rampant, repetitive abuse of the DMCA to remove artwork, criticism, and more from the Internet, not only for your deeds against Yuzu, but for your deeds against artists whose work you removed yet couldn't even see from Patreon (which is illegal, you must review all material you remove) between July 2019 and December 2021.

I am not affiliated nor associated with Tropic Haze, LLC. I have not contributed to Yuzu's development.'

End Quote.
Is this actually happening right now, and how likely is the party willing to pursue this actually going to win it?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To people saying "let's keep emulating si that they lose money", piracy is only a very low % of money loss.
Take a look on GBAtemp members base. Around 600k members, let's say we are 500k who are very active (im pretty sure this is a much lower number), and all of us are staying informed to bypass security on their console or just wait to emulate their console on our pc. That is only half a million of potential customers they will lose.
Nintendo Switch has sold nearly 140 millions consoles.
And no, not all of us are emulator users only. So piracy doesn't change a lot to their wallet.

Reactions: Henx and Ducolamia

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I sincerely doubt it.
Doubt it happening or doubt them winning it? Or both?
To people saying "let's keep emulating si that they lose money", piracy is only a very low % of money loss.
Take a look on GBAtemp members base. Around 600k members, let's say we are 500k who are very active (im pretty sure this is a much lower number), and all of us are staying informed to bypass security on their console or just wait to emulate their console on our pc. That is only half a million of potential customers they will lose.
Nintendo Switch has sold nearly 140 millions consoles.
And no, not all of us are emulator users only. So piracy doesn't change a lot to their wallet.
This honestly begs the question of why they go after such piracy mods, most likely just for Brand Integrity and not wanting their products to end up being associated with subpar products and wanting to maintain the image they sell to the public that makes the public buy their games, correct?

Last edited by Blue Sun,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Doubt it happening or doubt them winning it? Or both?

This honestly begs the question of why they go after such piracy mods, most likely just for Brand Integrity and not wanting their products to end up being associated with subpar products and wanting to maintain the image they sell to the public that makes the public buy their games, correct?
Some argue "principle" or defending "trademark" and "copyright". Dunno if I truly believe that. Bully tactics is all I see.

Also, I doubt some Discord rando is taking aim at Nintendo and their legal team.

Reactions: Xzi

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, we can talk about all the things we agree and or don't agree with where Nintendo is concerned, but on the other hand, I also know the damning side of consumers and have quite frankly seen a disgusting and concerning side of people throughout this process.

I grew up playing Nintendo's consoles and many entries for the respective platforms, likewise with some of Sony's and Microsoft's consoles as well, none of them are good in the sense that they have our best interests in mind or at heart, and really all they care about is how much they make in the long run, a.k.a. greed. I praise them when they do right, but I will criticize when they do wrong. HOWEVER, I also apply this to the normal Joe out there too, this includes those reading this statement, the consumers. I don't understand why Nintendo is as harsh as they are to their fans, companies like SEGA seem fine a lot of times with people messing with stuff (they aren't saints either, they have had their share of stuff much like any other company, but they do indeed have more lenience). Is Nintendo wrong for doing this, well, I am honestly not sure at this point, this brings me to my next point.

I've known, read through, and have been around platforms like this one for years, in my earlier years I spent a lot of time reading as a mere guest, watching some of the scene(s) grow and watching more and more happen as the consoles kept coming. Honestly, I'm rather extremely disappointed in a lot of people, not just on here, but in quite a few other places too. With the way some of you guys and gals go about your ways acting like spoiled rotten brats with piracy, acting like literal shit stains and sitting behind the line of "preservation" to excuse your obviously rotten entitled actions, thinking about it, I don't put full blame on companies like Nintendo going after stuff like this, I mean look what the hell some of you guys and gals do, you leak shit days, a week, or more before a title's street date, you can't even be bothered to shut your fucking mouths if you happen to get access to a copy early, you have to absolutely ruin it by leaking sneak peaks, screenshots, videos etc. Not only that, but you have to make it apparent that you are running shit through an emulator, because you know, somehow that's such important information that you must tell the whole damn world about it right? It's not even a leak here or there either, some of you are so impulsively stupid about your actions, you might as well say you practically live off piracy and every early leak 100% of the time, and when you blabber and completely misuse resources (emulators, flash devices, etc.) for your stupid gains, well, you mess with the bull, you end up getting the horns at some point. I don't understand what the hell is wrong with some people, no idea if it's a fucked up hitch in the DNA, a mental problem, or just some people straight up don't give a shit, and walk around thinking there are no consequences for their actions. All fun and games until shit hits the fan, maybe you aren't going to jail for pirating the way you do, but when shit like this happens (Yuzu and Citra being obliterated), it really doesn't make me question why so much, it starts to become pretty obvious why. Consequences, especially the negative kind, are a real thing geniuses, the sooner you stop rejecting and deflecting the better off you will be as people.

Nintendo is at fault for not treating their fans right, and for being as harsh as they are with their properties, but YOU (you know who you are) screwing around thinking you are a Billy badass thinking you are top of the world just because you pirate, kiss and tell like a complete freaking moron, are also at fault, pretty much aided and is aiding even still AFTER the damage has been done in killing stuff like this. Hope you are quite happy with the results. "Hot take" as some say, but maybe it's a good thing we lost two important emulators, maybe, JUST MAYBE, some of you guys and gals will get it through your thick skulls to stop being so entitled and spoiled rotten to the core, stop being under appreciative and abusive to these things, and all around stop being stupid going about doing stuff like this, otherwise you'll just keep reaping consequence after consequence. I would rather we have nice things and all be happy, but hey, what the hell would I know, I'm just a guy using his brain and actually thinks about things, especially if there are potential negative consequences.

• Wow
Reactions: Kraken_X and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, we can talk about all the things we agree and or don't agree with where Nintendo is concerned, but on the other hand, I also know the damning side of consumers and have quite frankly seen a disgusting and concerning side of people throughout this process.

I grew up playing Nintendo's consoles and many entries for the respective platforms, likewise with some of Sony's and Microsoft's consoles as well, none of them are good in the sense that they have our best interests in mind or at heart, and really all they care about is how much they make in the long run, a.k.a. greed. I praise them when they do right, but I will criticize when they do wrong. HOWEVER, I also apply this to the normal Joe out there too, this includes those reading this statement, the consumers. I don't understand why Nintendo is as harsh as they are to their fans, companies like SEGA seem fine a lot of times with people messing with stuff (they aren't saints either, they have had their share of stuff much like any other company, but they do indeed have more lenience). Is Nintendo wrong for doing this, well, I am honestly not sure at this point, this brings me to my next point.

I've known, read through, and have been around platforms like this one for years, in my earlier years I spent a lot of time reading as a mere guest, watching some of the scene(s) grow and watching more and more happen as the consoles kept coming. Honestly, I'm rather extremely disappointed in a lot of people, not just on here, but in quite a few other places too. With the way some of you guys and gals go about your ways acting like spoiled rotten brats with piracy, acting like literal shit stains and sitting behind the line of "preservation" to excuse your obviously rotten entitled actions, thinking about it, I don't put full blame on companies like Nintendo going after stuff like this, I mean look what the hell some of you guys and gals do, you leak shit days, a week, or more before a title's street date, you can't even be bothered to shut your fucking mouths if you happen to get access to a copy early, you have to absolutely ruin it by leaking sneak peaks, screenshots, videos etc. Not only that, but you have to make it apparent that you are running shit through an emulator, because you know, somehow that's such important information that you must tell the whole damn world about it right? It's not even a leak here or there either, some of you are so impulsively stupid about your actions, you might as well say you practically live off piracy and every early leak 100% of the time, and when you blabber and completely misuse resources (emulators, flash devices, etc.) for your stupid gains, well, you mess with the bull, you end up getting the horns at some point. I don't understand what the hell is wrong with some people, no idea if it's a fucked up hitch in the DNA, a mental problem, or just some people straight up don't give a shit, and walk around thinking there are no consequences for their actions. All fun and games until shit hits the fan, maybe you aren't going to jail for pirating the way you do, but when shit like this happens (Yuzu and Citra being obliterated), it really doesn't make me question why so much, it starts to become pretty obvious why. Consequences, especially the negative kind, are a real thing geniuses, the sooner you stop rejecting and deflecting the better off you will be as people.

Nintendo is at fault for not treating their fans right, and for being as harsh as they are with their properties, but YOU (you know who you are) screwing around thinking you are a Billy badass thinking you are top of the world just because you pirate, kiss and tell like a complete freaking moron, are also at fault, pretty much aided and is aiding even still AFTER the damage has been done in killing stuff like this. Hope you are quite happy with the results. "Hot take" as some say, but maybe it's a good thing we lost two important emulators, maybe, JUST MAYBE, some of you guys and gals will get it through your thick skulls to stop being so entitled and spoiled rotten to the core, stop being under appreciative and abusive to these things, and all around stop being stupid going about doing stuff like this, otherwise you'll just keep reaping consequence after consequence. I would rather we have nice things and all be happy, but hey, what the hell would I know, I'm just a guy using his brain and actually thinks about things, especially if there are potential negative consequences.
Tl;dr: The average pirate is just as much to blame (if not MORE) for the targets on our backs.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ryyjinx should've suffered since it's absolutely terrible it cannot even run properly i was playing Pokémon sword and shield on it and it had terrible performance and graphical artifacts like polygon grid
Damn, Pokefan really going after Ryujinx for having the game work like it does on real hardware
I would rather we have nice things and all be happy, but hey, what the hell would I know, I'm just a guy using his brain and actually thinks about things, especially if there are potential negative consequences.
I don't understand. It's our fault if people are paying Yuzu for early access builds ? It basically was a paid emulator, that's the issue. Not piracy.

I'd wait to see if they're coming for Ryujinx to really know if we truly have a target on our back. For now I don't think we have anything to really confirm that it wasn't just Yuzu that got too reckless with the amount of money they had thanks to their business model.

I see a lot of people claiming that people who work on emulators should not take donations and I don't think « taking money » is an issue by itself, Yuzu just had too many.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Damn, Pokefan really going after Ryujinx for having the game work like it does on real hardware

I don't understand. It's our fault if people are paying Yuzu for early access builds ? It basically was a paid emulator, that's the issue. Not piracy.
Taking things for granted and giving certain gray-area products more attention than they need to keep them in the spotlight. That's kinda what I pulled from the text. Could be wrong though.

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

I strictly give shit to Nintendo for when they are clearly in the ethical and moral wrong for going after fans all to maintain a public image by targeting fanmade products that in no way negatively impacts Nintendo in any substantial way, especially since Nintendo is, at its core, a very traditional and somewhat rather archaic Japanese company still holding on to as much of the post-war economic miracle as they can following Japan's loss in World War II—that and their IP/brand-based marketing through their consoles is all they really have unlike Sony or Microsoft. But yes, pirates who actively do more damage than good for the emulation scene are only making the situation worse in my opinion.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pretty sure both Yuzu and Citra had free builds in their respective repositories last I checked. Based on my understanding of why Nintendo went after the company of Yuzu, I didn't see anything about certain builds being paid only being an issue (maybe I missed it), the premise seemed to revolve around circumvention of security measures, allowing piracy (emulators don't, piracy is the cause of the user at their own discretion, but I digress), though it was also made a point that leaks and shit happened and people misused emulators and such for them, which they aren't wrong, people did do this. Maybe on one hand going after an emulator for people's actions seems dumb, I mean logically going after the source (which isn't the emulator) of the issue seems more sound, but I also know that if you take away a means for people to abuse what they get their hands on, it can still stir the pot just the same, just from a different angle. It still sets a precidence, a sign if you will of maybe calming down on the abusive behavior on the pirated contents. I mean correct me if I am wrong here.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I personally have no desire to get early copies of games or leak or pirate them, I don't care for fame like that. Maybe if it came to modding the game for fun and sharing mods with other users or really only just my close friends who play such games if only because I want to share the same fun I am having would ever get me to remotely considering sharing anything I got, but fame and prestige for myself is not something I ever care about, and I would never share a full game with someone who hasn't bought it for themselves either or encourage them to circumvent security measures that could actively lead to a serious compromise on Nintendo's end. Maybe it's just some people who have a vendetta against Nintendo like a homing missile with a built-in grudge that causes some people to share their ill-gotten gains as a way to "stick it to the man". Some men do need to have it stuck to them, but not like that when you hurt others like this.

Reactions: Impossible_Igntiz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only people who turn green need to see a doctor.