YSMenu on R4 - Screen flickers when saving

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Kerian, Sep 30, 2008.

Sep 30, 2008
  1. Kerian
    OP

Member Kerian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ok, thanks to you guys I managed to get YSMenu to work on my R4 (I used the Batch Pack R4YS since when I followed the steps of the YSMenu Tuorial I couldnt get it to create a r4dldi file >.>).

Now I noticed that, with DMA enabled of course, that the loadings time in Etrian Odyssey were a bit longer (only 1sec), and saving would take twice the time as with the R4 1.18 Firmware.

But what really made me raise my eyebrows is that on some games, the screen starts to flicker on the bottom screen in weird black horizontal lines while saving a game. As soon as the saving process is finished it's gone. [​IMG] Happened to me in Final Fantasy IV US, Sumon Night US, and some other games.

Just wanted to know if that flickering is normal, or if something is messed up with YSMenu. After all, our SAV files are the most precious files on our microsd's!! [​IMG]

MicroSD is a Kingston Japan model.

2. jagerstaffel

Member jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    In my experience, it's normal. The 2GB Micro SD I use has an unassisted read and write speeds of 1MB/s, which is very fast. Compared to my 1GB Toshiba Japan Micro SD with a write speed of *gasp* 300KB/s. Now when I say it's normal, you should see it on my 1GB mSD, it's almost as if the screen froze lol. So yes, if your card has high write speeds it will flicker (oddly enough YSMenu seems to save a heck alot faster than the R4 Firmware did)

A little test if you can, if you have the commercial cart for Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team DS, and the ROM. If you have the commercial cart, one thing I noticed with mine is every time I save the game was actually made to cope with the slow write speed, with a sort of download meter that gradually fills up until the save is complete. Now, when I fired it up in YSMenu, LOL the game animation barely kept up when it already saved (with a bit of flicker here and there). Fun times [​IMG]

3. Kerian
    OP

Member Kerian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ok thanks for the heads up. Looks like my SAVs are fine then.

I've grown attached to XSMenu on my R4, so I am glad i don't have to replace it [​IMG]

4. linkenski

Member linkenski GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    When i save in most games it dips to 3fps or something!! It's very annoying. I only use YSmenu for games R4 1.18 can't load now.

5. denieru7

Member denieru7 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Phew, i thought i was the only one! I noticed this in FFTA2, relieved to hear there's nothing wrong. [​IMG]