YS Menu, or Wood Firmware

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by SageKyle, Mar 4, 2011.

Mar 4, 2011

YS Menu, or Wood Firmware by SageKyle at 4:56 AM (2,060 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. SageKyle
    OP

Newcomer SageKyle DarkSageKyle

Canada
    Hello everyone! Names Kyle, I have been a long time lurker of GBAtemp because of the awsome quick fixes, patches and also firmware updates! But now i'm stuck and confused from all the information I have gathered from lurking so much. I've 'lurked' around alot and now i'm not even sure if my flash cart is even compatible with Wood Firmware. The card i'm using is called R4 III Upgrade from this website. http://www.r4iii.com/

Up until today i've used my R4 III Upgrade latest firmware from the main website and
    RetroGameFan's YS Menu => http://filetrip.net/f24155-RetroGameFan-Mu...pdate-6-51.html
    I also checked this link here http://gbatemp.net/t267899-list-cards-whic...use-ysmenu-dstt to find my cart and it's compatiblity, but didn't see http://www.r4iii.com/ in this topic. Which made me more confused, now I'm not even sure if the firmware i'm using is the right YS Menu for my cart. For now it's seems to be working fine so far but I would like a tip or someone with great knowledge about this stuff.

My question is... Is my cart compatible using Wood Firmware v1.26 or must I stick to using YS Menu? I would love it if my cart can run Wood Firmware for it is a much better firmware to use from what I know.

Side Note: If I have accidentally broke any of the forums rules already. Please tell me! Re-Reading the Forum Rules was a pain and long, quite sure I did something wrong by now! [​IMG]

Thanks for your input if my matter could be resolved!
    [​IMG]

2. Cartmanuk

Member Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Your cart should work with Wood firmware but there may be .sav file issues.

Testing it will not brick your cart

3. SageKyle
    OP

Canada
    If there is save issues, what would they be? Would it affect how I have to save my games from this point on?

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    You might want to back up your saves, but the prominent save problem for clones that can't use WoodR4 is that they can't save correctly at all and say that it failed or just don't save anything that you do.

5. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    I have the same card but I prefer the YSMenu. I found a way to get Wood to work earlier (though i forgot exactly what I did....) on the card and it works for most games but I noticed I couldn't get a few to work.
    I haven't one wrong with the YSMenu and I'll continue to use it until RGF decides to stop making updates and overall prefer it.

6. SageKyle
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the input nebula91! Since I would not like to risk the chance that installing Wood Firmware because of saving problems, then I guess YS Menu is the way to go until further notice! If there are any other solutions or suggestions to my topic here I would love to hear them. If not then you mods may close my post or I can just let it die and let the post get eaten over time from new topics! [​IMG]

7. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Yup, No problem. Btw, the files I drag to my card are usually in the "R4_Clone YSMenu" folder.

8. Elvarg

Banned Elvarg Zyzz™

Australia
    Meh i prefer Ysmenu if you cant decide just boot into ysmenu with wood when you feel like it.

9. TheGreatRedDrago

Newcomer TheGreatRedDrago Newbie

Canada
    I, too, have that same card. I was running something that had a nice graphic interface. It also had TTDS on it. I remember downloading something with YSMenu, which was on the card. Moonshell was also on the card. I also remember downloading Wood. This is going back about a month. Everything was working great and I had nothing I needed to do once I downloaded and installed whatever it was I downloaded. Now, after playing with files in Menudo, I messed something up. After a few days, I have only I have only been able to get YSMenu and TTDS to work -- but not autoload. It seems to load some kind of "DOS" setup as opposed to the graphic interface I had originally. I want to know WHAT it was I previously had! I want it back!

There was a contact section with the MSN logo, a WIFI logo, and I think a @ logo. That was one section. There were other sections, too. One was to boot TTDS. The other two I cannot remember. I think maybe a graphic YSMenu. Wood wasn't part of it, though, I don't think. I think it bothered me that EVERYTHING was in the root directory -- games included -- so I started playing. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Help? [​IMG]

I would PREFER one, complete file compressed with everything I will need, minus the games. [​IMG]

On a side note, I cannot get the latest Wood to load any games. I continually get some kind of error on the top screen, and Loading on the bottom.