Homebrew Youtube Watcher

Mr.Leb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this works, more power to you, I would love to use it to show off. But I wouldn't like to wait 15 minutes waiting for this clip to load. I'm just saying that the wifi and the codec used by Youtube are enormous stumbling blocks.

Good luck to those conspiring to do this, if there are any.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
your all focusing on using the standard web based YouTube... why not try to utilize the MOBILE format??

mobile.youtube.com - for use on cellphones and other mobile devices...

Since the resolution is cut drastically, as well as frame rate, it might just be possible!

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
your all focusing on using the standard web based YouTube... why not try to utilize the MOBILE format??

Since the resolution is cut drastically, as well as frame rate, it might just be possible!

*facepalm* DS doesn't have Flash, period... And only some browsers download

kennypu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of you who are saying that videos need to be converted to dpg first, ur wrong. Don't forget homebrews such as tuna ds, tuna-vids,etc.(i think thats what it was), which allows you to watch .avi files :3. yes they were converted to 256x192 on the spot, but still, it worked :3, why not do the same for flvs. Also wifi speed on the ds isn't so very slow as you guys say it is, I can browse quite quickly through DSO and bunjaloo, and i can dl zips etc, not as fast as pc but close enough.
Ken

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kennypu said:
For all of you who are saying that videos need to be converted to dpg first, ur wrong. Don't forget homebrews such as tuna ds, tuna-vids,etc.(i think thats what it was), which allows you to watch .avi files :3. yes they were converted to 256x192 on the spot, but still, it worked :3, why not do the same for flvs. Also wifi speed on the ds isn't so very slow as you guys say it is, I can browse quite quickly through DSO and bunjaloo, and i can dl zips etc, not as fast as pc but close enough.
Ken
But if the if the avi had to be converted, so will the flv's.

GWizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Ken
grog.gif

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alex said:
zidane_genome said:

ok, I'll play the "internet fakeword" game with you...

EPIC FAIL!!!

http://m.youtube.com uses 3gp format for it's videos, there is no flash you moron!

All that would have to be programmed is a simple web browser and a 3gp player... I'm not a DS programmer, so i would have no idea if this could be done, or if it would easy. I'm not saying it could be done, but that's how it would be easiest... small HTTP browser (you don't even need to include any image displaying code), and a 3gp player. You'd also have to have somewhere to save the 3gp files, or stream them.... not sure which would be better.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
Alex said:
zidane_genome said:

ok, I'll play the "internet fakeword" game with you...

EPIC FAIL!!!

http://m.youtube.com uses 3gp format for it's videos, there is no flash you moron!

All that would have to be programmed is a simple web browser and a 3gp player... I'm not a DS programmer, so i would have no idea if this could be done, or if it would easy. I'm not saying it could be done, but that's how it would be easiest... small HTTP browser (you don't even need to include any image displaying code), and a 3gp player. You'd also have to have somewhere to save the 3gp files, or stream them.... not sure which would be better.
Yeah, so what, use your DAMN CELL PHONE OR COMPUTER! Why would you want to watch YouTube videos and such a low quality.
hate2.gif
Dammit! It still requires download, epic slow streaming. And lots of crap. Now go away, I'm tired of this topic
frown.gif
I would like something for YouTube but it's a low chance.

kennypu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trippy said:
kennypu said:
Ken

well seeing that avi's were able to convert through the ds and not pc, If the homebrew app retrieves the flv through the youtube link(which is possible), that can be converted and played on the ds with no pc help.
Ken

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alex said:
Yeah, so what, use your DAMN CELL PHONE OR COMPUTER! Why would you want to watch YouTube videos and such a low quality.
hate2.gif
Dammit! It still requires download, epic slow streaming. And lots of crap. Now go away, I'm tired of this topic
frown.gif
I would like something for YouTube but it's a low chance.

Suck it Trebek! Suck it long, and suck it hard!

You fail on the most epic level! Your called out, and all you can say is "go away"... if your tired of this topic, then don't look at it anymore!

PWNED

Anyway, for those asking if it's possible, the only thing you'd need is a simple HTTP viewer (no images needed) and a 3gp player.

Since I'm not a programmer, I cannot say how hard this is to program, or how easy it would be.

Is it possible? Yes, most defenetly... it COULD be done... WILL it be done? who knows.

And as for watching them on my cell phone, why would I run up $1000 phone bill downloading all the youtube videos on my cell... as for PC, what if I dont want to turn on my PC to watch a couple funny YouTube videos? what if I don't wanna turn on my xbox or wii either? what if I'm not home, but want to show a funny video to a friend while we're out? If a YouTube player for the DS could be made, that would be awesome, and I would support it!

Musturd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anything is POSSIBLE...
Except most things don't happen unless the demand greatly outweighs the work you put in.
There is this new flash SDK that is used on Nokia Phones, I think the DS might be able to handle this...

Also someone could make an .nds binary that downloads an FLV from youtube and converts it into a playable movie file format for whatever player you include.

Anything is POSSIBLE, but it would be SLOW
For example, I ran a gamecube emulator on my old laptop; it ran at 0.1 frames per second (probably less but it rounded up). It worked; it was just slow.

Mohammad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah 3gp, that's what my cell phone (Razor) records in, so yeah if that thing can handle it, why can't the DS? using the mobile form is the best idea ever! XD how come no one thought of it before :'(

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kennypu said:
Trippy said:
kennypu said:
Ken

well seeing that avi's were able to convert through the ds and not pc, If the homebrew app retrieves the flv through the youtube link(which is possible), that can be converted and played on the ds with no pc help.
Ken
But they're NOT converted on the DS, that's the thing. You must resize the video on your PC before copying it to your card. The DS does nothing more than play the AVI file, it does no resizing at all.

Just for comparison, there's a way to convert from MP3 to WAVE in DSLinux (I forgot the exact commands and programs used) and a very small audio clip took over 5 minutes to convert. Video would take forever.

P

pasc

spinal_cord said:
nope.

Youtube videos are far too huge and complex for the ds to cope with. If you look at all the ds video players that exists, the videos need to be converted first, it just cant cope with a normal format.
then how about a flv player ?

detourne_me

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
a 3gp player would be the most likely solution, however you wouldn't necessarily get full-screen resolution, i forget the dimensions for 3gp now, but i actually do use it quite a bit, i convert many cartoons into that format for my cell (and my tiny asus eeepc) since they take up very little space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, what do you think of the page?