Homebrew Youtube Watcher

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure its possible, as the DS isn't as weak as most people make it out to be. Its just that currently DS developers don't have the required software to utilize the full potential of the DS's hardware.

You have to remember that with hombrew everything is compiled by the community for the community. So libraries and development software, go only as far as the leading heads of the DS homebrew scene want it to.

What I'm hoping is that the HomeBrew bounty will attract more amateur and experienced developers onto the DS Homebrew scene. Such as myself, and hopefully you. =]

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
nope.

Youtube videos are far too huge and complex for the ds to cope with. If you look at all the ds video players that exists, the videos need to be converted first, it just cant cope with a normal format.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
spinal_cord said:
nope.

Youtube videos are far too huge and complex for the ds to cope with. If you look at all the ds video players that exists, the videos need to be converted first, it just cant cope with a normal format.
See there's that "the DS is to weak to do anything attitude" that has become common issue nowadays. Though I'm not saying that your wrong, how do you know the limits of the DS. Unless you push those limits to the max, am I right?

Besides take a look at these two videos, and then come back and say what the DS is/isn't capable of. =]

~Video 1
~Video 2

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
wasup said:
spinal_cord said:
nope.

See there's that "the DS is to weak to do anything attitude" that has become common issue nowadays. Though I'm not saying that your wrong, how do you know the limits of the DS. Unless you push those limits to the max, am I right?

Besides take a look at these two videos, and then come back and say what the DS is/isn't capable of. =]

~Video 1
~Video 2
Wow.

I think the DS could handle FLVs, but the download speed would be a problem with the DS. So a youtube browsing app would be fairly useless

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sephiroth said:
wasup said:
spinal_cord said:
nope.

~Video 1
~Video 2
Wow.

I think the DS could handle FLVs, but the download speed would be a problem with the DS. So a youtube browsing app would be fairly useless
Yeah, and hardly anyone I know has a router that I can use that is not protected with a key. So I only watch video that I download at home. It's fun to watch something you arn't supposed to at school. they turned off the iternt though. lol, my friend went to yahoo and put "asians" XD Since they block YouTube.

It would be neat though, I can' even figure out PSPTube. :X

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
wasup said:

~Video 1
~Video 2

To play a video on the ds, it must be converted to something smaller and simpler than most formats. the resolution must be lowered as decoding a higher resolution video would be a complete waste of time and power. If you look at moonshell, not only doe the video have to be converted to a much lower frame rate, but the player is using up so much resources, that it struggles to check the touch screen for inputs. I myself am working on a video player, which needs its own format and i'm struggling to reach 15fps. Tunavids by chishm plays a form of avi, but it still need converting first or else the ds cant handle it, even then you can only get 12fps out of it. Not to mention the wifi speed, you'd be waiting ages for the video to buffer, even the it would have to be downloaded to fat, cos there isn't much ram.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If what you say is true, and the DS cannot in fact handle anything except crappy DPG file format videos. Then how do you explain the Play-Yan for the GBA, which supported MPEG-4? All I'm saying is that with the right skills, tools, and knowlegdge anything can be done. So don't write things off as impossible until you look at the possibilites. I mean look at how the graphics for the DS are slowly getting better, whats to say homebrew won't also advance.

P.S: Also, would you mind explaining how the DS T.V tuner works in Japan. =]

GWizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it will happen soon
laugh.gif

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasup said:
If what you say is true, and the DS cannot in fact handle anything except crappy DPG file format videos. Then how do you explain the Play-Yan for the GBA, which supported MPEG-4? All I'm saying is that with the right skills, tools, and knowlegdge anything can be done. So don't write things off as impossible until you look at the possibilites. I mean look at how the graphics for the DS are slowly getting better, whats to say homebrew won't also advance.

P.S: Also, would you mind explaining how the DS T.V tuner works in Japan. =]
Dude the Play Yan was an accessory that did the video decoding. The gba didn't decode the videos. And not everything can be done unfortunately.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be possible to play the videos eventually, but the WiFi speeds will never be good enough to actually download the video from YouTube in a reasonable amount of time. The PSP is 3x as powerful as the DS and has faster online services, which is why it can handle streaming video.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way this would work would be if the program first downloaded the FLV file, then converted it to a DS-usable format, and then played it or let another application play it. Perhaps if someone were to port FFMPEG to DSLinux this might be possible (convert FLV to AVI for use with tuna-viDS).

And yeah, the PLAY-YAN had extra hardware that handled the video decoding, so you can't use that as a comparison.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wasup said:
I'm pretty sure its possible, as the DS isn't as weak as most people make it out to be. Its just that currently DS developers don't have the required software to utilize the full potential of the DS's hardware.

You have to remember that with hombrew everything is compiled by the community for the community. So libraries and development software, go only as far as the leading heads of the DS homebrew scene want it to.

What I'm hoping is that the HomeBrew bounty will attract more amateur and experienced developers onto the DS Homebrew scene. Such as myself, and hopefully you. =]

wrong, wrong, and errrrrm... wrong

QUOTE(GWizard @ Aug 17 2008, 10:29 PM) A homebrew that let you browse on youtube and watch youtube videos.
Is it possible?
browsing on youtube might be possible but videos are... no.
well it's possible with win2ds (you can browse, and probably watch) . But it doesn't work the way you are thinking about.

Oh i just remembered!!! You can view them like a charm!!!
Go to google, type in "psycoblaster's youtube4DS"
currently it's version 0.04 so only videos 4 minutes or less.
remember - you need a fake R4 and a bricked DS, or else it doesn't work.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
psycoblaster said:
wasup said:

So your basically saying the developers that work for Nintendo officially are stuck using DEVkit...Yeah GG. =]

QUOTE(GWizard @ Aug 17 2008, 10:29 PM) A homebrew that let you browse on youtube and watch youtube videos.
Is it possible?
well it's possible with win2ds (you can browse, and probably watch) . But it doesn't work the way you are thinking about.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
wasup said:

Is it possible?

Don't be a smartass. That's worse than the PS3Emulator for the Wii. Or the hentai games that brick your DS. O.o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: There was that Russian spy I think her name was Slutiyana Choksanapi