Gaming Youtube for 3DS - What do you expect?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Youtube for 3ds - What do you expect?
Umm.....umm...YouTube, did I get that right.
This I would like to see, I would just use mer iPod but because I'm running iOS 5 I don't get the full features of ios 6 YouTube so I'll see how it does. Netflix on my 3ds was pretty good, I had no frame buffers and the quality wasn't to bad but Better when playing cartoon movies and such but the volume... Oh Gawd the volume is so f***ing low.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good luck watching HD video on an 800x240 screen, decoded with a 266MHz dual core ARM11.

Maybe I'm living under a rock or something but thought the ARM11 266Mhz specs were fake, also, why are they on the 3ds wikipedia page? Did Gateway leak them after they hacked it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I am expecting it to be as horrible as the Wii. Wii U, PS3, ect. Youtube app and something I will most likely never use.

In my experience the 360 and PS3 YouTube players work perfectly, the problem rises with the Wii U version which is broken as hell but Nintendo is finally fixing it this or next month.

Thankfully the internet browser plays all YouTube videos so the App is easily skippable.

By the way, I'm expecting that the videos will stream and so I watch them without issues.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In my experience the 360 and PS3 YouTube players work perfectly, the problem rises with the Wii U version which is broken as hell but Nintendo is finally fixing it this or next month.

Thankfully the internet browser plays all YouTube videos so the App is easily skippable.

By the way, I'm expecting that the videos will stream and so I watch them without issues.

They work, but I've used it on the Wii, Wii U, 360, and PS3, all just meh designed. They were pretty ugly and buggy. Honestly just running Youtube on the Wii U browser or plugging my Chromebook into my TV works better.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
They wouldn't, since it's not run off their servers. They'd need to shut the internet browser off if they were going that far.

I expect the app to run small videos (5-10 minutes) relatively well. Anything larger, and it's Buffering city.

I think what foxi4 meant what when would nintedo remove the app from eshop due to "adult" comments and videos etc.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Still seems weird though (I'll wait for homebrew). How does that compare to the Wii for instance?
It's hard to compare the two devices since one is ARM-based and the other is PowerPC-based - they perform different tasks in different environments, but if you want to calculate a raw performance comparison then DMIPS is a good measure.

Having this table in mind, we can calculate that the ARM11 MPCore architecture has the performance of 1.24 DMIPS per MHz per core, so altogether the 3DS's CPU would score around 659.68 DMIPS @ 266MHz. In comparison, the Gamecube's Gekko scores 1125 DMIPS @ 486 MHz (around 2.31 DMIPS per MHz, as other PowerPC 7xx CPU's) and the Wii's Broadway scores 1687.5 DMIPS @ 729 MHz (same architecture, so the same DMIPS rate used for calculation).

That kind of a result was to be expected since the 3DS is a low-power portable device while the Wii and the Broadway are home console CPU's.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, the WiiU continues the long line of PowerPC 7xx-based Nintendo CPU's and as expected, its DMIPS performance is 1250 (MHz) * 2.31 (DMIPS per MHz) * 3 (Cores) = 8662.5 DMIPS... just for those who are curious about its average Integer maths capabilities.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like others have said, only really worth it if it supports 3d - and more importantly, makes the 3d easy to find. Because in my experience with my 3d tv, its really hit or miss and hard to find stuff worth watching and done correctly.

Of course, the Netflix app on the 3ds doesn't do 3d, so maybe we shouldn't get our hopes up (not that there's much 3d on netflix, but it is nicely organized)

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
imo 240p will look nice on the small screen.
well
i except to watch videos on the 3ds.
my logic is not flawed...right?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well
If the source footage is not originally 240p, it will probably be quite blurry when scaled down to that resolution. So you would see a blurry version of the native resolution.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
well

No, your logic isn't flawed but your spelling seems to be. I presume you meant that you expect?

If the source footage is not originally 240p, it will probably be quite blurry when scaled down to that resolution. So you would see a blurry version of the native resolution.

Wait, shouldn't it be the other way round? Scaling up causes blurry footage but scaling down shouldn't.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, shouldn't it be the other way round? Scaling up causes blurry footage but scaling down shouldn't.
Scaling down will blur out details. Scaling up stretches out details. This is my experience :/ Here is an example of downsizing a nice clean 1080p image with lots of details (game was Stalker - Clear Sky, during a lightning flash), downsized to the nearest 240p quality.

1fkzD0S.jpg

97fQX59.jpg

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Scaling down will blur out details. Scaling up stretches out details. This is my experience :/ Here is an example of downsizing a nice clean 1080p image with lots of details (game was Stalker - Clear Sky, during a lightning flash), downsized to the nearest 240p quality.

Ahh.. When you put it that way.

But the reason behind this is not a lack of details from the source but rather the limitations of the display itself.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too expect N will either place a filter on the program so you will not be able to search for many things OR just shut it down weeks later and place it among the rest of the useless software they've worked so hard to create for (many of) us to NOT use , find MII, puzzle swap, swapnote, pokemon-whatever.. ( and I'm NOT hating on pokemon, I like em, just not the unpaid app version) and the (n)ever present FLIPNOTE 3d! They seem to have control issues, but I guess they really need to in the 'kid' focused biz.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1