Your Zelda BotW Disappointments?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by gameboy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. gameboy
    OP

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    What are/were your disappointments with Breath of the Wild?

For me it was the lack of water*. I was hoping that when the commercial unveiled with all the water scenery that Link would be able to explore those bodies of water. In the game he was only able to float on the surface and catching fish without a rod was weird. In previous games he was able to dive in or sink to the bottom and explore (except for windwaker, 99.9%water....)

*water exploration

Last edited by gameboy, Jan 5, 2018 - Reason: im a dumb robot
    Piebe and weatMod like this.
  2. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    The not being able to explore water never crossed my mind... but would be the absolute bomb!

3. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2016
    I was disappointed with the lack of gadgets which would fall into the realms of what you're talking about because he needed iron boots and the zora gear to explore underwater. I was also disappointed with the lack of creativity in the boss designs and the powers which you were rewarded with were a bit boring, other than the wind lift ability which helped reach certain places. But other than that, I enjoyed it for a first attempt at an open world Zelda.

weatMod and Nezztor like this.
  4. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    7.8/10 not enough water

5. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2016
    Lmao, I was waiting for this.

felix.200 likes this.
  6. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    I was just disappointed a bit because I couldnt dive. Thats about it really...

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    - Lack of unique obtainable items. I'm sure they could make this work even in an open world game.

- Sidequests are largely pointless, the rewards you get aren't worth the time it takes you. Since all spirit orbs are obtained from shrines and there are no unique collectibles, it ties into the first problem. I just miss how much more rewarding doing sidequests was in Majoras Mask. It all felt connected, the rewards you got were worth it, and filling up that notebook was a good feeling.

- The item durability. I don't mind the concept but the durability is just too low. It should be at least double of what it is, and they could just make good gear harder to find to compensate. If rare gear was harder to find and had a higher durability that would also make fighting mobs less pointless.

- Not enough variation in mobs. Not a big deal, but with mobs being so common it gets tiring to see the same Moblins and Bokoblins over and over again, with the occasional Keese and Chu-Chu.

- The dungeons. They weren't bad but they didn't live up to the standards of previous games. Too small and basic, not enough puzzles, and not enough variation between them.

It's certainly far from a perfect game, but I still love it despite its flaws.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jan 5, 2018
  8. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    When the game ended.

Jonna, Owenge, jpx86 and 5 others like this.
  9. gameboy
    OP

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States

yea, now that you mention it, they shoulda left out a few shrines and added the standard number of 8 mini dungeons

10. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    the fp drops

11. xpoverzion

xpoverzion GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2017
    United States
    I was disappointed that there weren't any elaborate cave systems to explore. What an opportunity they had to put cave systems throughout that majestic landscape. Caves would have been the perfect way to round off that game. Cave systems would have added another dimension to the game, especially given how they focused so much on exploring the topography of the land. Going underground into the depths of the land would have been as spectacular as it is to scale the highest peaks in the land.

The Real Jdbye and weatMod like this.
  12. Justin20020

Justin20020 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    Germany
    The dungeons - I like the standard dungeons and the standard gears. I hope, they will add these back in the next zelda game.

The Ganon fight wasn‘t epic to me. In the other games it was epic af and it costs alot of time to beat him. In botw it was easy and the champions did damage him so hard, that it was in the end to easy to beat him and yes, I agree with the water exploration.

weatMod likes this.
  13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Weapon durability doesn't seem as varied between weapons/types as much as it should. Metal weapons should last a much longer time than they currently do.

SkillingCat likes this.
  14. MockyLock

MockyLock GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    France
    I agree with you for amost all complains (except maybe the Moblins).

i would add my last real disappointment :
    The inventory is too small to store all the suits...

15. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I can't believe they didn't allow us to control the menu on the Wii U gamepad. I can only think of development hell or a rushed release. I mean COME ON.

SkillingCat and weatMod like this.
  16. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    -Voiceover is mostly a puff, really close to non-existent. It's 2k17 btw.
    -Plot is close to non-existent too. Still.
    -Combat system as well non-existent moslty.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  17. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    God I remember the QQ on forums how fps was bad and how its unplayable. :D

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

18. andeers

andeers Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Ganon. There are so many ways to beat him easily, the final form has no difficulty and I expected to fight the flying beast that surrounds the castle.

19. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Lack of different monsters.
    Dungeons were not a challenge
    The puzzles were far too easy. The game really just led you on what to do. It was more like a chore.

WeedZ likes this.
  20. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    Lack of real dungeons was a big disappointment. But still a great game.

They had this in the game when it was planned as a Wii-U exclusive. Then they removed because they didn't want the Switch version to be inferior.

Last edited by Obveron, Jan 5, 2018
    SkillingCat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice