Gaming Your thoughts on odyssey

• Thread starter rwn
  • Start date
  • Views 15,422
  • Replies 189
  • Likes 7

On a scale from one (low) to ten (high) how good is this game?

Votes: 6 3.1%

Votes: 2 1.0%

Votes: 3 1.6%

Votes: 5 2.6%

Votes: 12 6.3%

Votes: 24 12.5%

Votes: 48 25.0%

Votes: 88 45.8%

• Total voters

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A good solid 9.
Camera is a bit of a pain sometimes which drops a point.
Apart from that it's just pure gameplay entertainment, I love that you can binge on it for hours in front of the telly or grab 5 minute bursts of little challenges on the go.
As a game it understands completely the hybrid nature of the Switch, more so even than Zelda which struggled for short burst playtime.

In not linking the motion controls. other then that its a great game.

Reactions: Risingdawn

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may or may not be a spoiler. It depends on if the game already has a built in counter and/or it doesn't really have an impact on the story.
It does. On the globe where you select your kingdom, there is an information screen that tells you x/y moons and x/y specific coins. Once you've been to the kingdom anyway...

In not linking the motion controls. other then that its a great game.
Huh?
Have you moved around while your cap is on a tank? Shook the whole switch (while controllers are attached) while climbing or flying with the winged goomba?

Not sure I get what you mean... You don't mean to say that they shouldn't have, do you?

EDIT: Ok, I get it now. Typo. You mean you're not liking the motion controls.

Last edited by urherenow,

Trash_McPhail

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Best game since Mario 64, Cappy just adds another dimension.

The controls are extremely responsive and the game looks great, considering the Switch powah!

Have had issues with the camera however especially when trying to pull off tight jumps.

I do think Nintendo games get overhyped, Zelda BotW is great, best game ever is slightly overkill.

This is a clear 9/10 though in my opinion and will most likely hoover up some GotY awards.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while since I had this fun on a game and literally can't put my switch down. It's a blast and loving every moment of it.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FYI there are 836 power moons, so for anybody who feels the need to be a completionist, the journey is gonna be a long one.

I really hope so! I have been playing for 10 hours and have ALL of the moons from the first 2 worlds (Dinosaur Island and Dessert land).

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I loved it... But it's not without it's flaws:
1) The tacked on motion controls. (wave my Pro Controller around in order to swing the hat around). There was 2 buttons still available (Y for attack, B for Jump... A and X could've easily been used for these).
While this move isn't a requirement in order to finish the game, it's a really helpful move.
2) Rotation of the pictograms used B and Y to rotate, like WTF... How about L and R and A-button to place, which is the "logical" controls?
3) Occasionally you weren't able to control the camera cuz they decided you should'nt be able to look everywhere. This is a minor nitpick tho.
4) Collecting the moons felt WAY too easy most of them. It didn't feel as rewarding as most of the stars in Mario 64.
Had I designed the game I guess I'd separated the moons actually requiring some effort from the easy ones. Like Bronze moon, Silver Moon and Gold moon or something like that,
Now we were presented with this "epic" video showing Mario all excited and Cappy giving some comment from collecting the moon. It felt so out of place. I literaly just walked over there... :wtf:
5) The shopping could've been faster. I don't want to have to press the A button 4 times per item I buy. Minor nitpick

What I loved:
1) Fan-service
2) Visuals. It's a beautiful game on a console technically behind a whole generation
3) Some of the music. (not as great a soundtrack as Mario Galaxy, but still great in it's own)
4) Most of the platforming. Despite dying quite a few times, the game was forgiving enough never making it feel too bad actually. Like if you already collected some purple currency or a moon and you die immediately after. Then you still won't need to go fetch those again. This was a big improvement for me over the previous games.
5) The miniscule downtime from actual game play. The load times were fast.
6) Some of the puzzles / stages blew my mind away. When they introduced a new mechanic.
7) While I still think Mario 64 has the perfect control for Mario, controlling Mario in Odyssey felt great. Many of the creatures you can take over give us a new way to move around the stage in quite neat ways :)

I'd give a strong 8.5/10 perhaaaps a 9/10.

It feels much more refreshing than Breath of the Wild which lost alot of it's magic after 8 hours. Mario Odyssey feels like it still features refreshing gameplay even after that mark.
Playing that Zelda on Master Mode now and enemies are weapon sponges deluxe this time around, so much combat is more a chore than fun. But all aspects of the game come in handy in the master mode compared to the normal mode where you could complete it without basically using the cooking system.

Last edited by Elrinth,

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The motion controls are far too integrated into the game for my taste. They don't translate well to the pro controller, which is pretty much what I use since my left joy-con is a bit bugged. The motion controls also make it a bit awkward to play in handheld mode. Not gonna lie, Super Mario 3D World was better. I hope we get one of those for Switch.

Reactions: DarthDub
D

Deleted-355425

How have the people on the skipping rope leader board in new donk city gotten 21 thousand points on it?!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a mario game. So ya know, it plays like a mario game. But it's one of the best. Feels like a mix of some of the best elements from all the mario games, so I'm sure that was one of the goals.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm