OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Hey,
I had previously asked about an ecommerce project I made and got some nice feedback.

This time there are two projects
1.) Social Network - this one is actually a free package that ANYONE can deploy and it works so beautifully that I think facebook would be proud.

2.) School Management System - this is my achievement so far
Features
- Addition of staff and students
- Courses, Modules, Batches and Enrollments
- Assessment creation, Uploading assignments and submitting marks of students
- Payment processing with installation reminders
- News, Messaging, Time tables and
Student Login who can view every detail of theirs such as submission, payments, messaging, timetables etc.

Check it out at
http://shakirmole.fbdhost.com/learnit/admin/ - Admin Panel
Username : shakir
Password : 123

http://shakirmole.fbdhost.com/learnit/ - Student
Username : haji (you can create one for yourself from the admin panel)
Password : 123

If you want any of these, please do tell

And do tell if you like or dislike it
Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Social network. I have been trying a few different scripts out of late although not enough to truly call it not to mention I would have to deploy it to say anything of true note.
Site fails to load without allowing external requests. Looking at the source got me to http://shakirmole.fbdhost.com/pctlsocial/ though.
I am not sure a news feed like that will hold under the weight of a lot of users. Other than the occasional bit of no javascript - no feature (the users thing on the right hand side) it looks pretty good, there is not a lot of demo content there (no example blogs, pictures and whatever else).
So far- how far it will scale I am not sure but I reckon it could work well as a intranet script.

Is http://www.oxwall.org/ the source code? If so I took a look at that as well. Having just arisen from a food coma I am not in much of state to ponder the license but certain things might see me raise an eyebrow and might have fun trying to reconcile that with other licenses could get fun. On the actual source code afraid I am none too hot on javascript and JSON and trying to reconcile that with php and mysql also in the pot and spread across some 1600 interlinked documents is not going to happen for me right now. At a glance a few choice things like the session handler did look like they were done properly.

School option- very shiny. By the way is your second link supposed to be that underneath it all?

Possibly a bit on the more fiddly site and I do not know about the underlying code at this point but in the admin panel if you add an assessment or anything that has an add button you lose navigation options. This is variously annoying and possibly fun for your underlying database if you open (and lock) a value on page load- if you are designing a proper multi user site that might be an idea.
Once I turned javascript on things got nicer though playing on the make a payment option without filling things in leaves several things without a red box should I hose up entering data.
Similarly trying to add a new currency and closing (this is with javascript) sends me to a white screen.
Either way very nice, you might consider some admin panel stuff but if you otherwise have phpmyadmin or are stacking it alongside a CMS of some form that is probably OK there.

Student side of things.
Immediate problem upon logging in "You have successfully logged in" is in comic sans....
Same as the admin panel before it but clicking on sign up loses navigation when no javascript is involved.
It is perfectly fine to do it this way but some of the dropdown menus have a single option- is it not worth a redirect rather than what amounts to a splash page. That is not even cosmetic though.
Date box on schedule can not be manually edited- you have a nice javascript calendar I know but for various reasons having the option to manually edit it can be nice.

After this it comes to proper testing and fiddling and/or need for source code so I am out for now- I had a quick go trying to guess what happens in cookies but I did not try much and it looks like it handles sessions well enough (I got myself spat out a few times playing around).

shakirmoledina

Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
ah thanks for the ideas, appreciated.
yes oxwall is the package. just try it out yourself as I did and you will find it feature-rich. its great in terms of usage and configuration with drag-n-drop layout sort and many other neat features.

thanks again for your always appreciated security briefing

EDIT:
its unlikely that someone would have javascript turned off and since they are going to be using a system, they would be told to not fiddle around with it
the idea for losing the navigation options is like the edit screen of temp. you get to concentrate on a certain screen. Opening multiscreens has annoyed many according to my experience with older users (facebook uses lightbox/thickbox too)

About the currency screen, yes its not updated (files) so good sighting

Give me some time and I will upload the source code for the SMS. Oxwall will give you the social network package... do try it

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Regarding the ecommerce project:
why is the logo the most ugly logo I've seen in quite a while?
It's stretched and simply too low resolution for the space you've given it.
If you want to appear professional, you better focus on aesthetics.
Fix the url rewrite aswell. It's not a must technically, but to appear professional towards customers, it's definatly a must. It's such an easy thing to fix aswell.
There's alot of styling done directly in the html aswell, make more use of the power of CSS.

The Social Network one looks better tho.

There's a bunch of crap code in the javascript:
"
$(function(){ try { } catch (e) {} });
"

Keep on developing, I guess it's well done for someone new to webdev.

Reactions: shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina

Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
the ecommerce one was a test project (my first actually) so expect nothing special
the new ones are the one above.

about this javascript code, it has a code which has been commented. Since i use mvc throughout all my projects so i uncomment it when required

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I say both are nice-looking gui's. If I were you, i'd put a webpage showing a summary , reminders about notes, scores and average info (upcoming student activities depending on the closest date from actual date), a "websearch" bar for every module (ajax) so it'd show accurate data depending on the term typed, otherwise, it'd show everything.

but i like it ;)

Reactions: shakirmoledina

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Poked around your database and code- it seems you are storing passwords as plaintext which is far from ideal. Salt (preferably with a different salt per user) and hash them at least.

shakirmoledina

Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
ya actually i am a lazy guy when comes to sha-1 or md5 hashing. It makes the code simpler.
And i always thought that if a person can get into the database or access the database in such a way as to be able to see the password, then why cant he do anything else
and if its because he is using the same password elsewhere then the sites do advise against doing so

though i cant deny i am a lazy person when it comes to encryption.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong