You can't be pro choice and vegetarian at the same time

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is vegetarianism? It's the not eating of animal meat. Now, under normal circumstances that would be sad in and of itself. But the story gets deeper.

The other day I made Gluten free cookies for a friend (because I'm nice like that and hey, more cookies for me). This of course meant I needed to add eggs to thicken up the dough (I didn't want to shell out an extra $5 for egg substitute) and knowing that my friend recently started being vegetarian, I made sure that eggs are indeed vegetarian (spoiler alert: they are).

So, I head over to my friend's house with a bunch of cookies and once I'm there, she bites into one and says "[zhongtiao1] these are amazing!".

That's when her expression changes. All of sudden, her smile turns into a frown, and then disgust, then anger.

She whispers "These have eggs don't they..."

Me, being the dumb idiot, said "Yeah, only two though"

Then we proceed to get into the dumbest argument ever about whether or not eggs are vegetarian.

It basically boils down to two sides:

Her side: eggs are not vegetarian because they can turn into chicks

My side: eggs you get on a farm are not vegetarian, but if you get them from the supermarket, those eggs have been treated so that the chick never gets the chance to fertilize fully and start growing. Hence, it's vegetarian. You aren't actually eating the animal.

In the end, I got super overwhelmed by it and said "You're pro choice right? You don't believe a Baby is a baby until after it's born right?"

And skeptically she said "yeah..."

Me: "So why can't that apply to chickens too"

Needless to say I was kicked out of said house and am now here eating decent gluten free cookies and contemplating life. I'll probably talk to her later. I need my cookie tin back anyways.

Note: I'm fine with people being Vegetarian or Peskitarian, just let me know beforehand if you don't want eggs

Reactions: jDSX and APartOfMe

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is vegetarianism? It's the not eating of animal meat. Now, under normal circumstances that would be sad in and of itself. But the story gets deeper.

The other day I made Gluten free cookies for a friend (because I'm nice like that and hey, more cookies for me). This of course meant I needed to add eggs to thicken up the dough (I didn't want to shell out an extra $5 for egg substitute) and knowing that my friend recently started being vegetarian, I made sure that eggs are indeed vegetarian (spoiler alert: they are).

So, I head over to my friend's house with a bunch of cookies and once I'm there, she bites into one and says "[zhongtiao1] these are amazing!".

That's when her expression changes. All of sudden, her smile turns into a frown, and then disgust, then anger.

She whispers "These have eggs don't they..."

Me, being the dumb idiot, said "Yeah, only two though"

Then we proceed to get into the dumbest argument ever about whether or not eggs are vegetarian.

It basically boils down to two sides:

Her side: eggs are not vegetarian because they can turn into chicks

My side: eggs you get on a farm are not vegetarian, but if you get them from the supermarket, those eggs have been treated so that the chick never gets the chance to fertilize fully and start growing. Hence, it's vegetarian. You aren't actually eating the animal.

In the end, I got super overwhelmed by it and said "You're pro choice right? You don't believe a Baby is a baby until after it's born right?"

And skeptically she said "yeah..."

Me: "So why can't that apply to chickens too"

Needless to say I was kicked out of said house and am now here eating decent gluten free cookies and contemplating life. I'll probably talk to her later. I need my cookie tin back anyways.

Note: I'm fine with people being Vegetarian or Peskitarian, just let me know beforehand if you don't want eggs
Small note for the future for you. Most vegetarians don't t eat eggs. If they say they are an ovo-vegetarian that means they eat eggs. And if they say they are just a normal vegetarian then they don't eat eggs.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Small note for the future for you. Most vegetarians don't t eat eggs. If they say they are an ovo-vegetarian that means they eat eggs. And if they say they are just a normal vegetarian then they don't eat eggs.
I don't think that's right. Vegetarians can eat eggs and dairy products, it is vegans that don't eat eggs and dairy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most vegetarians I meet do eat eggs, milk and vegetarian cheese (possibly also non vegetarian cheese). If any don't it is usually personal taste preference or medical diet requirement for them or theirs. I am sure some could contrive a reason to get to that point and not be vegan or beyond.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Store-bought eggs aren't fertilized and don't have chicks in them. Egg laying hens are kept separated from roosters for this very reason. An egg isn't a baby, it's chicken menstruation. Chewing on menstruation is not against vegetarian principles. Your argument is invalid.

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: got my cookie tin back. Said Merry Christmas. No cookies were left in the tin, so she either ate them or threw them out.

She still seemed mad, will check in after the Holidays.

Reactions: APartOfMe

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are ways to make it more complicated, especially if "be nice to the animals" is the guiding principle underpinning it. It is far from unheard of for the straight vegetarian set to avoid leather, and similarly only go for the locally sourced free range eggs.

This is also before we get into the fun ones often associated with Indian subcontinent religions wherein nothing that takes a life, even of a plant, wants to be eaten (so digging up a bulb of garlic very much kills that plant, nibbling an apple off a tree is all good, what goes for honey, milk, eggs and such in those scenarios also varies), and then others that take active measures like filtering water to avoid eating bugs (even today in the modern world in locations where that is not a problem).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up