yifanlu is making an SD adapter for PS Vita 3G

oheo8ne9rmiiowysmpda.jpg

Everyone's favourite Vita scene hero, Yifanlu, is creating what most users have been dreaming of. A micro SD adapter for the PS Vita! However, this will be specifically limited to ONLY the 3G OLED models. This works by replacing the 3G modem with an adapter. If you want to get a hold of a 3G Vita, I'd advise getting one soon before the prices rise. The "Early Bird" donation perk gives you a finished board for $20. I would imagine the price to be similar to this when it is released.

Vita memory cards are too expensive and it would be nice to be able to use a microSD card. The 3G feature is pretty useless. Combing those two thoughts and I decided "what if we replace that modem with USB storage?" This works because the Vita's modem port is simply a USB 2.0 port that uses the miniPCIe form factor. A hacked Vita running 3.60 has the ability to load custom drivers, and it is just a matter of putting all the pieces together.

Features
  • At the core of the adapter is the USB2244 chip, which is a SD to USB microprocessor. It is a high end chip (you won't find it in cheap SD to USB adapters) that has good power consumption and a long lifespan. It supports SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.
  • You need to open up the Vita and replace the modem card. This is relatively simple and is akin to changing the battery. You can put in a large microSD card, install it, and forget about it.
  • With HENkaku Ensō, you can use the adapter on boot
  • Because there's extra space on the board, I also added two debug ports that the original modem uses to communicate with the Vita. Using them is optional. Developers and hackers can use this for their homebrew and hacks.
  • All design files, Gerbers, schematics, layouts, BOMs, software drivers, etc will be public and open source. Anyone can produce the board as well as modify it.

:arrow: Source

Update:
100 units are being made and there are 114 backers. This means they are already sold out.

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

JohnnyPhantom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just get a SD2Vita one now. Doesn't require your 3G functionality to be sacrificed.
I wouldn't call it a sacrifice :P I do have a sd2vita on order, but I like having the cart slot free for games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Drats, I was feeling confident in building a board buy hand, until I saw, the GL823 chip. More research required :P

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wouldn't call it a sacrifice :P I do have a sd2vita on order, but I like having the cart slot free for games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Drats, I was feeling confident in building a board buy hand, until I saw, the GL823 chip. More research required :P

Agreed. SD2Vita's good but I dislike the idea of having the game slot used for storage when I have physical carts. Would love it if we eventually found out a way to make an SD adapter through the memory card slot.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are these still being produced or only the SD2VITA ones being made?
I have an OLED 3G vita, and i'd like to use this much more than using up my Vita's game card slot

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see what the big deal is about the SD2Vita. If you wanna play a Vita cart, just take out the SD2Vita. No mods to the system needed.

Depends on how its mounted, if youre using it as primary storage it could cause problems.

Plus the current versions I wouldnt trust reliability wise to be constantly added/removed (of course this can be remedied).

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't see what the big deal is about the SD2Vita. If you wanna play a Vita cart, just take out the SD2Vita. No mods to the system needed.
The current SD2Vita cards are rather finnicky to put in and remove in their current state. They don't click in like normal cards, and you supposedly have to wiggle them back and forth to get them out of the slot which would absolutely cause wear and tear on the adapter very quickly. Not to mention you'll have to manage storage across both the SD2Vita and a normal Vita memory card.

Primula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was thinking of attaching a piece of anti static bag to it if I nee to pull it off with ease. dont know if that will work though

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to remove just the microsd itself while the adapter is in situ?
You should be able to transfer that way, but note that you probably shouldn't do it when the Vita is on as hot swapping may damage the SD card itself. Using USB or FTP would probably be the easier route.

fenomeno0chris

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does somebody know, if I can use my Cobra Blackfin Vita gamecard which has a microSD slot, to use it the same way as SD2Vita?
image:
IMG_4928-1200x1200.jpg

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should be able to transfer that way, but note that you probably shouldn't do it when the Vita is on as hot swapping may damage the SD card itself. Using USB or FTP would probably be the easier route.
I don't think it's possible to use USB with SD2VITA yet, so it's either slow FTP or take the card out and risk wear and tear. Neither great options really.

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why should someone get this over the SD2Vita adapter? It may not be perfect, but at least I can take out my microSD when I want without having to open the unit and I can add anything I want in minutes, as well as use it on any Vita that's 3.60.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
So why should someone get this over the SD2Vita adapter? It may not be perfect, but at least I can take out my microSD when I want without having to open the unit and I can add anything I want in minutes, as well as use it on any Vita that's 3.60.
For those that actually have brought legit cartridges. It's a pain to keep removing the sd2vita plus the wear and tear on the hardware.

Reactions: yifan_lu and xfxmrl

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those that actually have brought legit cartridges. It's a pain to keep removing the sd2vita plus the wear and tear on the hardware.

And again....what's the purpose of this adapter? You want to play your "legit carts"? Dump them all with MaiDumpTool, buy an SD2Vita and a 64GB or 128GB microSD card, set it up, install your games, and voila. No carts ever!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
And again....what's the purpose of this adapter? You want to play your "legit carts"? Dump them all with MaiDumpTool, buy an SD2Vita and a 64GB or 128GB microSD card, set it up, install your games, and voila. No carts ever!
No all games are dumpable, and some people prefer using legit games they've purchased. Also, Maidump has problems supporting 20+ games, so if one of your games requires a certain load mode and you've got "all your games", you won't be able to load it as it will crash.

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No all games are dumpable, and some people prefer using legit games they've purchased. Also, Maidump has problems supporting 20+ games, so if one of your games requires a certain load mode and you've got "all your games", you won't be able to load it as it will crash.

Doesn't Vitamin 2.0 handle the rest?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la