Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

perkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, he's wrong. You don't have to hijack arm9 before system boot.

But you can't switch to emunand while in original system. You need to restart system which means hack must be very early in booting process so kernel access alone won't give you emunand as i understand it.

Imo getting into kernel is only half the job here. Now people will need to study kernel and try to find hole where they can run hack early.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you can't switch to emunand while in original system. You need to restart system which means hack must be very early in booting process so kernel access alone won't give you emunand as i understand it.

Imo getting into kernel is only half the job here. Now people will need to study kernel and try to find hole where they can run hack early.
Sigh.... NO :glare:
You DON'T have to hijack the system before the system runs. Though you're probably right about doing a reboot (I don't know how emuNAND works) you could do a soft reboot with your code running instead of the regular code. Once your code is running, it will stay running unless your deliberately hand over control back to the system or you turn off the console.

DrDaxxy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sigh.... NO :glare:
You DON'T have to hijack the system before the system runs. Though you're probably right about doing a reboot (I don't know how emuNAND works) you could do a soft reboot with your code running instead of the regular code. Once your code is running, it will stay running unless your deliberately hand over control back to the system or you turn off the console.

...right, yeah, the 3DS lets you soft-reboot, so hijacking arm9 at any time is sort of "during the boot process" :P

Whether something like that is possible on the Vita remains to be seen.

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
At this times its useless for user?
henkaku useless for users? no, we can make use of it now, people have been playing homebrew, that persona ndub etc...
but there is no deep dark piracy hacks for vita yet, but since we have kernel access we should be able to get signature patches etc, it's just a matter of time.

before henkaku was decrypted further, we weren't sure if henkaku contained a kernel exploit or not. but now we know :)

laharl22

Trophies
XP
Country
France
henkaku useless for users? no, we can make use of it now, people have been playing homebrew, that persona ndub etc...
but there is no deep dark piracy hacks for vita yet, but since we have kernel access we should be able to get signature patches etc, it's just a matter of time.
before henkaku was decrypted further, we weren't sure if henkaku contained a kernel exploit or not. but now we know :)
i talking of the kernel exploit lol not henkaku

Last edited by laharl22,

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Henkaku is kernel exploit, but you will have to find a way to rerevers kernel functions order to bypass encryption and licence checking this will not be easy at all ... And since henkaku's dev are against piracy it will be hard to get someone with enought knowledgement to do it ...

For 3ds it don't required boot access soft reboot is enought so only kernel access is needed. For those that dunno what it was, just look to what was devhook, get this to pour vita would be really nice

Last edited by chocoboss,

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@yifan_lu

Just a follow up on the above. The setup you explained works fine with stage2.go .. php still doesnt work for whatever reason.
Now I'd need to figure out why PHP doesnt work..
Others have also reported the PHP one not working. It's not surprising because we did most of our tests with go. If someone fixes it, send a pull request.

Also, even if you get a kernel exploit, a bootloader exploit, and a secure kernel exploit, you still won't be able to run emunand (at least not with any lower or higher FW version). Why? Because sony isn't nintendo, they know how to do these things.

Last edited by yifan_lu,

Cinnamon

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm reading an article from Yifan some years ago and then I read this:

It’s still unknown how much control we would have if kernel mode is compromised, but me and some others think that we MAY at least be able to do something like a homebrew enabler (HEN) that patches signature checks temporarily until reboot, allowing for homebrews with no sandbox limitations (access to camera, BT, etc) and POSSIBILITY system plugins and themes. It is very unlikely at any keys will be found at this point or being able to create or run a CFW.

From http://yifan.lu/2012/12/12/playstation-vita-the-progress-and-the-plan/

That's damn accurate to what is happening now.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
@yifan_lu

One problem I found with go, is that everytime you run this command:
"go run stage2.go -payload stage2.bin -port 60"
Go generates stage2.exe file in:
"user/(username)/appdata/local/temp/go-buildxxxxxxxx/command-line-arguments/_obj/exe"
Where xxxxxxxx stands for a different unique number everytime.

And since stage2.exe is blocked by windows firewall, it asks us to unblock it everytime in the firewall, generating a new entry for it in the firewall everytime because it's in a different location! So if I run it 10 times, I'll get 10 entries!

Anyway to get around that?

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@yifan_lu

"user/(username)/appdata/local/temp/go-buildxxxxxxxx/command-line-arguments/_obj/exe"

And since stage2.exe is blocked by windows firewall, it asks us to unblock it everytime in the firewall, generating a new entry for it in the firewall everytime because it's in a different location! So if I run it 10 times, I'll get 10 entries!

Yeah compile it instead of running it.

Reactions: Madridi

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
@yifan_lu

Not using Windows seems to be the most practical.

Reactions: a9lh-1user

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Others have also reported the PHP one not working. It's not surprising because we did most of our tests with go. If someone fixes it, send a pull request.

Also, even if you get a kernel exploit, a bootloader exploit, and a secure kernel exploit, you still won't be able to run emunand (at least not with any lower or higher FW version). Why? Because sony isn't nintendo, they know how to do these things.
Oh? Do tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators even automatically detect them now
    Yeah it's a good time to be alive lol
    Pi4 and Batocera works with them perfectly too
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pi4 and Batocera works with them perfectly too