esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I think I may be reformatting my computer soon and installing a new OS. Vista has been giving me non-stop compatibility issues since I've had this laptop, and I'm ready to switch it up. I'd just like to know, which would be the best if all I really do is play a few games and browse the internet?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just stick with XP SP2.

SP3 killed my network when I installed it on all my home computers and even after reverting to SP2, they've never been quite the same.

Of course, this could have been fixed in patches since release day when I installed it, but they lost my trust in SP3 thanks to their incompetence and helpful replies of "Do you have all the Windows Updates installed?" and I will never try to re-install it now.

Windows 7 is still up in the air. It's only in beta and I'm hearing it's just Vista with a new name. You can't really compare XP and 7 though until 7 is final and out.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jumpman17 said:
Windows 7 is still up in the air. It's only in beta and I'm hearing it's just Vista with a new name. You can't really compare XP and 7 though until 7 is final and out.

Well I can honestly say that not quite true. I been using Windows 7 for over 2 months now and its basically Vista that runs as smooth as XP. Lighter on resources and slick. Couple bugs here or there but overall its been pretty nice.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I run XP sp3 and install it on every machine I come accross. I have no issues with it. Windows 7 looks like more of the same as Vista, and I was less than impressed by that operating system. It's all your preference really. A lot of the reason I stick with XP is because I know it like the back of my hand.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the only thing i've noticed about windows 7, is that it boots like 20 secs faster then vista. everything else (performance wise) i don't see any difference. then again, my comp is pretty decent so i guess vista wouldn't run slow anywayz

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
xp > win7 > vista.

couldn't make it any easier. stick with xp.

i am reformatting my other computer with xp (previously vista) as we speak.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Windows 7 LOOKS like Vista at first glance, but it runs like XP. Which is awesome. And the only problem I have with Windows 7, is that I dont know where everything is, compared to XP lol

It will be a kick ass operating system when released, but for now I would stay on XP SP3. SP3 works fine

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
MicShadow said:
Windows 7 LOOKS like Vista at first glance, but it runs like XP. Which is awesome. And the only problem I have with Windows 7, is that I dont know where everything is, compared to XP lol

It will be a kick ass operating system when released, but for now I would stay on XP SP3. SP3 works fine
microsoft always fucks up everything when they are releasing it
i bet the beta will still be much better than the release version.
biggrin.gif

windows 7 is based on vista but with lots of tweaks and removes (anyone tried windows vista's custom edition? they are much faster and better than vista and its like windows 7)

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jumpman17 said:
Just stick with XP SP2.

SP3 killed my network when I installed it on all my home computers and even after reverting to SP2, they've never been quite the same.

Of course, this could have been fixed in patches since release day when I installed it, but they lost my trust in SP3 thanks to their incompetence and helpful replies of "Do you have all the Windows Updates installed?" and I will never try to re-install it now.

Are you joking? Have you used Windows 7?

It is a vast improvement over vista. Much faster on low spec computers, Light on resources and still looking nice.

But i still love vista
tongue.gif

sage_inferno

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hold your horses ,you got a Vista laptop.

some sata controllers dont get recognized by xp
resulting in hardrives not found while trying to install.

slipstream those drivers on a new installcd.

finding xp drivers for mobile graficcards gonna be a bitc-.

it can be done though.

just a heads up.

i did it once ,never again.
wacko.gif

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
if you have the hard disk space you can set up a quad boot and check out each operating system and see what works and what doesn't. when you find something you like just delete the rest.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
jumpman17 said:
Just stick with XP SP2.

Are you joking? Have you used Windows 7?

It is a vast improvement over vista. Much faster on low spec computers, Light on resources and still looking nice.

But i still love vista
tongue.gif
I've used W7(actually I'm on it right now), and it is Vista with a new name. It's exactly the same under the hood, this was even said by Microsoft. It takes almost the same amount of resources, etc, but has improved usability, and it does have flexibility for older hardware (at the expensive of the things that give it the speed advantage over XP)

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
do what I did and dual boot. I install all of my stuff in the XP partition and use the windows 7 taskbar to link to the files (as navigating to the other hard drive each time can get annoying).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries