XP sp3 or Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by esoterica, Feb 4, 2009.

1. esoterica
    OP

esoterica GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Atlanta
    I think I may be reformatting my computer soon and installing a new OS. Vista has been giving me non-stop compatibility issues since I've had this laptop, and I'm ready to switch it up. I'd just like to know, which would be the best if all I really do is play a few games and browse the internet?

2. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    i would say xp for now, given that windows 7 is only a beta, and u'd have to remove it after a few months and redo the whole process

3. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    Just stick with XP SP2.

SP3 killed my network when I installed it on all my home computers and even after reverting to SP2, they've never been quite the same.

Of course, this could have been fixed in patches since release day when I installed it, but they lost my trust in SP3 thanks to their incompetence and helpful replies of "Do you have all the Windows Updates installed?" and I will never try to re-install it now.

Windows 7 is still up in the air. It's only in beta and I'm hearing it's just Vista with a new name. You can't really compare XP and 7 though until 7 is final and out.

4. GameSoul

GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

Mar 21, 2008
    United States
    Illinois
    Windows 7 has been a lot better to be then Vista has ever been but I say stick with XP since Win 7 is still in beta.

5. 754boy

754boy :D

Banned
    Oct 24, 2002
    United States
    Mississippi
    Well I can honestly say that not quite true. I been using Windows 7 for over 2 months now and its basically Vista that runs as smooth as XP. Lighter on resources and slick. Couple bugs here or there but overall its been pretty nice.

6. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    I run XP sp3 and install it on every machine I come accross. I have no issues with it. Windows 7 looks like more of the same as Vista, and I was less than impressed by that operating system. It's all your preference really. A lot of the reason I stick with XP is because I know it like the back of my hand.

7. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    the only thing i've noticed about windows 7, is that it boots like 20 secs faster then vista. everything else (performance wise) i don't see any difference. then again, my comp is pretty decent so i guess vista wouldn't run slow anywayz

8. nin10do

nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Dec 22, 2007
    Taiwan
    UK
    xp > win7 > vista.

couldn't make it any easier. stick with xp.

i am reformatting my other computer with xp (previously vista) as we speak.

9. MicShadow

MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2008
    Windows 7 LOOKS like Vista at first glance, but it runs like XP. Which is awesome. And the only problem I have with Windows 7, is that I dont know where everything is, compared to XP lol

It will be a kick ass operating system when released, but for now I would stay on XP SP3. SP3 works fine

10. DarkRey

DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Mar 9, 2007
    Croatia
    Rotating around Toni
    microsoft always fucks up everything when they are releasing it
    i bet the beta will still be much better than the release version. [​IMG]

windows 7 is based on vista but with lots of tweaks and removes (anyone tried windows vista's custom edition? they are much faster and better than vista and its like windows 7)

11. esoterica
    OP

esoterica GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Atlanta
    Is Windows 7 that whole Mojave crap I always see on commercials?

12. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    Are you joking? Have you used Windows 7?

It is a vast improvement over vista. Much faster on low spec computers, Light on resources and still looking nice.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

13. sage_inferno

sage_inferno Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    hold your horses ,you got a Vista laptop.

some sata controllers dont get recognized by xp
    resulting in hardrives not found while trying to install.

slipstream those drivers on a new installcd.

finding xp drivers for mobile graficcards gonna be a bitc-.

it can be done though.

just a heads up.

i did it once ,never again. [​IMG]

14. nin10do

nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Dec 22, 2007
    Taiwan
    UK
    if you have the hard disk space you can set up a quad boot and check out each operating system and see what works and what doesn't. when you find something you like just delete the rest.

15. GameSoul

GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

Mar 21, 2008
    United States
    Illinois
    That Mojave crap you talk about is what you are actually using right now. Vista. Isn't that ironic?

16. War

War Take it easy~

Oct 26, 2007
    California
    I would just go with XP for right now since it's awesome. Once Windows 7 is officially released, then I'd probably upgrade/dual-boot with that.

17. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    I've used W7(actually I'm on it right now), and it is Vista with a new name. It's exactly the same under the hood, this was even said by Microsoft. It takes almost the same amount of resources, etc, but has improved usability, and it does have flexibility for older hardware (at the expensive of the things that give it the speed advantage over XP)

18. Mr.Mister

Mr.Mister GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2009
    United States
    Oregon, USA
    Like many others here, I agree that you should go with XP until a full version of Windows 7 is released.

19. notnarb

notnarb Not narbing it up

Jun 18, 2007
    do what I did and dual boot. I install all of my stuff in the XP partition and use the windows 7 taskbar to link to the files (as navigating to the other hard drive each time can get annoying).

20. Wabsta

Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Apr 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    SCUMM Bar
    This was something I was hesitating too..
    I've tried both, but I like XP more...