XBox requires day 1 update to do anything

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mysticwaterfall, Nov 8, 2013.

1. mysticwaterfall
    OP

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    360 also needed a day 1 update.

I don't see the problem.
    Just hook it up to the net and let it update....
    Or download the update from xbox.com and plonk it on a USB drive.

3. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Except the PS4 and WiiU update aren't/weren't needed. They could still play games.

4. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    While I'm not surprised there will be an update, I'm curious as to why disc games won't boot without it. Up until the sixth generation, everything had to work when the consoles shipped. Now, content is being continuously worked on, and operating systems get updated. No big deal, really. I got used to the fact that if you can't update via the internet, essential updates can also be found on game discs or cartridges.

I thought Microsoft had abandoned their DRM plans, but this worries me. What's on the disc can't simply be incompatible with the version of the OS that's currently installed on every Xbox One. Anyway, I hope these mandatory updates won't become "a thing", because it looks like Microsoft is trying to go with their big ideas on DRM and trying to call them something else.

Also, it's beyond me why a company that received so much criticism would continue on this path. The negativity around Xbox One is intense enough. When will they start with positive announcements that aren't simply responses to the overwhelming consumer outrage? I'm not saying Xbox is done, because I know it's not, but come on ... How about a "Surprise! We have this cool feature that will make you happy" instead of "Well, ok! We'll remove the DRM if it's that important to all of you whining babies, but you won't be getting fifty other things. Oh, and in other news, we've rendered the console useless at day one, as a punishment".

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It's possibly that they patch out some things at day one which would cost less time and resources then to rewrite the entire kernel.

Actually, I'd like to see a Xbone, unupdated, launchday dash+kernel have a game inserted.
    IGN is known to bloat things up and lie about news to gain attention.

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    If I recall correctly, you couldn't use the Wii U without the day one update as well :unsure:
    Either way, it seems the day 1 update for the Xbox ONE removes a lot of shit people didn't like. I am not sure why they couldn't just do that before release, but at least they are doing it, I'll give them that.

7. Zeliga

Zeliga One step closer.

Sep 28, 2013
    Kalos
    So hold on.. You need internet to play the XB1 and need internet for the first update .0. Who the heck does even want a console like that, Im still sticking to the PS4 :glare:

calmwaters likes this.
  8. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Well, you need this update to do anything. After that you can play offline.

9. Zeliga

Zeliga One step closer.

Sep 28, 2013
    Kalos
    Ok... But im still not getting a XB1 :3

10. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Nope. The day one update added some features, that was it. You could still play games perfectly fine.

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Partially true. You could play wiiu games just fine, but the entire vwii backward compatibility thing was in that first day patch.

EDIT ShadowSoldier: sorry...I replied to Catboy's post without checking the other posts...didn't mean to repeat your post like that.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This is more than likely because the XBox One was supposed to be an Always-Online device when the manufacturing process began - this allowed Microsoft to take its sweet time with the console's OS.

The "revolutionary" features were retracted, the firmware had to be re-worked from the ground up, hence the installed one is rudimentary and only allows for "updating" to the actual intended firmware.

Dark S. likes this.
  13. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    The only people who bitch about the day 1 update is people on the internet.... who ironically HAVE internet so it's not a problem for them at all. Everyone who doesn't have internet just wont buy it. End of story.

DinohScene likes this.
  14. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Please don't tell me this 'update' is their way of bringing back the DRM restrictions that were dropped when everyone protested against them.

The only way that Microsoft will hear people bitch is over the internet. I remember when people were bitching about the online DRM restrictions over the internet... :unsure: Where were you then?

15. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Is this not just a way to force people to agree to their ToS in order to play their games, regardless of whether or not they want to go online?

16. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    didn't psp, 3ds, wii, ps3, 360, wii u and vita have a day 1 update? and people still complain about that. i just don't get that, sure it suck but i would rather have them release a day 1 update, than get a broken game console. people can wait weeks till the console is out, but can't wait 30 extra minutes to play around with it?

17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure

Ah, I thought it was needed, fair enough.
    Still I don't really see the XBone update being such a bad thing. Sure it means you won't be able to use the the system as soon as you get it, but at least they are removing all the features people didn't like. I mean sure M$ could have done that before release, but still at least they are doing it.

DinohScene likes this.
  18. Dork

Dork Newbie

That's sucks I guess, but I'm sure people who bought the Xbox One where aware this thing is a very online-oriented device.

19. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    I was fine with the DRM restrictions earlier except the used games. Everything else was fine. Steam was even implementing some of their ideas (the family share plan and another i cant remember right now) and everyone suddenly cheered. Conclusion? Its not the policies ppl hated, they just like Bitching about microsoft.:p1ng:

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I still think this day one update is more of a gigantic patch then an entirely new dash/kernel tho.