Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
en-INTL-L-XboxOne-Console-Titanfall-Bundle-6RZ-00022-mnco.png

As many of you may know, the Xbox One has a recommended retail price/manufacturer's suggested retail price (RRP/MSRP) of $499 in the US. Currently the console is going for $449 in many places, including Microsoft's own online store as well as at Amazon, Target, Best Buy and Walmart. GameStop is currently selling the console at $499 still, so no reductions there as of yet. Some people have even managed to get a discount with discount codes to the PS4 RRP/MSRP of $399.

If you wanted to buy a new Xbox One, now may be your time. The reduction is apparently for a limited time only and the price will hike back to $499 after the sale is over.

Official Microsoft statement via Ars Technica:
This is not a price drop on Xbox One. The Microsoft retail stores often set prices and run promotions in line with the rest of the retail industry, ensuring that its customers always get a good value for the devices and services purchased from the stores. The current online and physical Microsoft retail store price is not reflective of an MSRP price drop on Xbox One, which is still priced at $499 USD.

:arrow: Source via Ars Technica.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been seeing this price crop up for the past week at several different chains, trying to move stock in a similar way the WiiU started getting dropped at smaller chain stores. I wonder if these sales are a part of this Microsoft decision, or if Microsoft is trying to cover up price slashing on their system by doing it themselves.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A promotion like this pretty much serves to level the playing field between the Xbox One and the PS4. Seeing that the system comes bundled with Titanfall, a critical release for the Xbox One, the console itself is pretty much the same price as a PS4, which is great. I have no doubt that this will sell a fair number of systems and I hope we'll see more bundles of this sort in the future.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
they are saying: "hey early adopter guy that brought on day one, thank you for your early money, hope you like this new titan fall version that you do not got!!!"
That's like saying that contemporarily sold Xbox 360'ties and PS3's are a middle finger in the faces of all early adopters of those systems because they're easily half-price, if not more, and technologically superior to their predecessors in almost every way. Consoles get cheaper over time, there's always a price drop or a bundle somewhere down the line, I don't find this surprising in any way. In fact, I think Microsoft is doing the right thing adapting to the current situation on the market and propagating their system further.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are saying: "hey early adopter guy that brought on day one, thank you for your early money, hope you like this new titan fall version that you do not got!!!"

That's the deal with early adoption - you take the shittiest price and the highest risk of breakdowns for the privilege of being first.

If you can't handle that then, I dunno, don't be an early adopter? It's not exactly rocket science.

Reactions: Foxi4

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
That's the deal with early adoption - you take the shittiest price and the highest risk of breakdowns for the privilege of being first.

If you can't handle that then, I dunno, don't be an early adopter? It's not exactly rocket science.

That's like saying that contemporarily sold Xbox 360'ties and PS3's are a middle finger in the faces of all early adopters of those systems because they're easily half-price, if not more, and technologically superior to their predecessors in almost every way. Consoles get cheaper over time, there's always a price drop or a bundle somewhere down the line, I don't find this surprising in any way. In fact, I think Microsoft is doing the right thing adapting to the current situation on the market and propagating their system further.

I do understand that, I would agree with you if we were in 2015. But from nov. 22 until now we have less than 4 months. I'm sure you guys do remember the 3DS Ambassador Program, I was held about 5 months after the release, with Nintendo ashamed for dropping prices. Even that there is no formula for that, It is not common even for smatphones to drop prices (and do this kind of deals like the titanfall one) 4 months after release, and smartphones has a one year "life cycle" (one year before they release an updated model) and video games got, I dunno, 7 or 8 years?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do understand that, I would agree with you if we were in 2015. But from nov. 22 until now we have less than 4 months. I'm sure you guys do remember the 3DS Ambassador Program, I was held about 5 months after the release, with Nintendo ashamed for dropping prices. Even that there is no formula for that, It is not common even for smatphones to drop prices (and do this kind of deals like the titanfall one) 4 months after release, and smartphones has a one year "life cycle" (one year before they release an updated model) and video games got, I dunno, 7 or 8 years?

So what? The price drop could happen a month after launch and it still wouldn't make any difference. Nobody forced you to buy the console early. You willingly paid the full price at the time for the product available at the time; that's it, end of story. The sellers have no obligation to compensate you for your own decision - honestly, I don't think there was even any need for an Ambassador Program.

If the thought of someone else getting a lower price somewhere down the line rumbles your jamesies, well, tough titty. Just don't early adopt.

Reactions: Foxi4

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Its not good enough. I'm not going to even think of getting one till its under $100. Yea, I know that'll probably be never. Thats fine with me as I dont like what M$ has done with the console and dont want to get one anyway but thats my limit for buying one. Under $100 and I'll get one.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... guess it's time for me to jump on this...

Target has some titan fall units left. With 5% target card plus another 5% I got in the mail AND no taxes in NH... that's a steal at about $400 for the console PLUS a game (granted the only game worth playing at the moment lol). Did the same for my ps4; snagged it for $360. Love living next to the state line!

So what? The price drop could happen a month after launch and it still wouldn't make any difference. Nobody forced you to buy the console early. You willingly paid the full price at the time for the product available at the time; that's it, end of story. The sellers have no obligation to compensate you for your own decision - honestly, I don't think there was even any need for an Ambassador Program.

If the thought of someone else getting a lower price somewhere down the line rumbles your jamesies, well, tough titty. Just don't early adopt.

It's all about customer perception. Nobody forced anyone to buy anything, you are absolutely right. That said, gamers tend to be a butthurt group of individuals (right up there with the Apple crowd). MS would not be wise to alienate their early adopters. People get pissed and they voice that with not buying further products. At the end of the day, software sales is what makes any console profitable.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all about customer perception. Nobody forced anyone to buy anything, you are absolutely right. That said, gamers tend to be a butthurt group of individuals (right up there with the Apple crowd). MS would not be wise to alienate their early adopters. People get pissed and they voice that with not buying further products. At the end of the day, software sales is what makes any console profitable.

If people have already invested a significant chunk of change into a console, I don't think most are going to stop buying games for it out of spite alone. Some people might sell their console, maybe, but that's going to be a mere fraction of users at best; most aren't going to bother with the hassle, especially since they're going to get much less back for it than what they paid.

At worst, some will grumble and then keep on keeping on as if nothing ever happened.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-