Xbox One Exploit Release: 'Gaining win32 code execution in UWP DevMode'

Earlier today, @XVMM posted up some key info on 'getting started' on your path of enlightenment when using the 'dev mode' that is available on all Xbox One consoles, now normally this UWP is sandboxed, but thanks to the anonymous creators if this unique exploit you can now get a shell (cmd.exe) and win32 code execution on Xbox One in UWP Devkit mode.

devkitwin32.jpg

Normally, you can only deploy "sandboxed" UWP containers with very limited access rights, hence this write-up, which is very technical, but its aim at those that want to explore more of inner workings and power of XB1 console itself, and hopefully now with this information out to public, more developers will get on-board and help expand the scene of greatness in the Xbox landscape.

Preamble

This is not an exploit or breakthrough of any sort. It's simply taking advantage of provided debugging features in developer mode! This is for any one who may be curious and want to reverse engineer the Xbox One. This is also mainly provided for anyone who wants to just have a go at reversing the system. There's a lot to utilize with the public features anyway.

Prerequisites
  • Must be in developer-mode (obviously)
  • Have some form of SSH/telnet client. (PuTTy, etc)
  • At least have Visual Studio 2015 or 2017
To get started without putting up with developing UWP applications we can instead utilize the open SSH connection provided by the console. This is only available in developer mode, just in case you get any ideas. If you're using Windows and will be using standard command prompt for telnet then make sure you enable it first!
  • Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features on or off"
  • Tick "Telnet client"
  • Done
To check out @XVMM full guide, sample files, and to take part in the 'technical development' side of this release, then please see the 'ongoing discussion thread' link below, and please try to keep it clean of useless posts, that is what this front page news thread is for.

And remember this 'code release' is not really exploit and does not in anyway enable 'piracy' or 'free games', and will never grant those wishes either, but what it will do is allow you to free yourself from UWP sandbox, explore the XB1 system, and hopefully we will see some more powerful emulators, homebrew and other apps appear soon enough by talented developers that know how to use this! :)

:arrow: Discord Server Invite: Open Chat Discussion

:arrow: Ongoing Discussion Thread: [Info] Xbox One - Getting somewhat started

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Last edited by garyopa, , Reason: added discord invite link

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Out of curiosity, how well is xbox one doing in Europe? I know they are stru

They are in 3rd a far place and we take in consideration that the Switch is the youngest one, that's not good for the xbox. I don't know about every single market in the world, but i do know about the European one and the South American one.
Those two markets are quite big and in those two markets, Sony is the defacto ruler. You can walk in any street of countries like Brazil or Argentina and see propaganda about new games for the PS4, even in some case even for the Switch.. same for Europe. Sony expends a lot of money in propaganda and it pays off.
But when it comes to Microsoft you hardly see things about Xbox, they do promote Windows programs and office solutions, but they lack to the console market.
Same history since the first Xbox, i don't know if it is a lack of interest from Microsoft or what.

Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are in 3rd a far place and we take in consideration that the Switch is the youngest one, that's not good for the xbox. I don't know about every single market in the world, but i do know about the European one and the South American one.
Those two markets are quite big and in those two markets, Sony is the defacto ruler. You can walk in any street of countries like Brazil or Argentina and see propaganda about new games for the PS4, even in some case even for the Switch.. same for Europe. Sony expends a lot of money in propaganda and it pays off.
But when it comes to Microsoft you hardly see things about Xbox, they do promote Windows programs and office solutions, but they lack to the console market.
Same history since the first Xbox, i don't know if it is a lack of interest from Microsoft or what.

Yeah in Egypt they are far third place as well. Xbox 360 did not even come to Egypt back when I lived there

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah in Egypt they are far third place as well. Xbox 360 did not even come to Egypt back when I lived there

I really don't get why they don't care more about some huge markets. The 360 was their best choice to dethrone the Playstation brand .

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't get why they don't care more about some huge markets. The 360 was their best choice to dethrone the Playstation brand .

Exactly, they really have a marketing issue. Hopefully they are planning to fix that with the next xbox. Since xbox will be its own department now

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, how well is xbox one doing in Europe? I know they are stru

Especially considering that uwp was the number one reason why developers stayed away from xbox one

UWP is just something nobody asked for and Microsoft tried to shove down everyone's throats. It was designed to sandbox code to prevent malicious code execution but at the cost of making alot of current win32 legacy code hard to port over to it. I'm glad we finally have a way of getting out of UWP Jail. There is so much the Xbox One is capable of as it is a Windows Computer at it's core.

Last edited by wiired24,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if somebody could see what Windows exploits were recently patched and use them to pwn dev mode? I mean, the xb1 is just Windows 10 minus DWM. It might be possible.

Reactions: wiired24

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol