Xbox One Exploit Release: 'Gaining win32 code execution in UWP DevMode'

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by garyopa, Sep 12, 2018.

Front-page
    Earlier today, @XVMM posted up some key info on 'getting started' on your path of enlightenment when using the 'dev mode' that is available on all Xbox One consoles, now normally this UWP is sandboxed, but thanks to the anonymous creators if this unique exploit you can now get a shell (cmd.exe) and win32 code execution on Xbox One in UWP Devkit mode.

devkitwin32.jpg

Normally, you can only deploy "sandboxed" UWP containers with very limited access rights, hence this write-up, which is very technical, but its aim at those that want to explore more of inner workings and power of XB1 console itself, and hopefully now with this information out to public, more developers will get on-board and help expand the scene of greatness in the Xbox landscape.

To check out @XVMM full guide, sample files, and to take part in the 'technical development' side of this release, then please see the 'ongoing discussion thread' link below, and please try to keep it clean of useless posts, that is what this front page news thread is for.

And remember this 'code release' is not really exploit and does not in anyway enable 'piracy' or 'free games', and will never grant those wishes either, but what it will do is allow you to free yourself from UWP sandbox, explore the XB1 system, and hopefully we will see some more powerful emulators, homebrew and other apps appear soon enough by talented developers that know how to use this! :)

:arrow: Discord Server Invite: Open Chat Discussion

:arrow: Ongoing Discussion Thread: [Info] Xbox One - Getting somewhat started

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Pickle_Rick, KiiWii, Orangy57 and 8 others like this.
    Discussion (45 replies)
  1. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2017
    United States
    I really hope this opens the door to more xbox one homebrews. Xbox one in my opinion has potential for a lot of really great homebrews that doesn't involve piracy (which I do not want anyway), it already has backwards compatibility implemented, it has an easy way to port certain windows libraries, Xbox one X will provide even better results, etc. As a developer, I agree with the article. UWP is garbage to work with, and definitely pushes a lot of developers away. If that is fixed, I encourage developers to take a look at Xbox again.

Hozu, Orangy57, SpiffyJUNIOR and 5 others like this.
  2. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Maybe some developers, the biggest problem with xbox is that its xbox. Most people just arent as interested in doing anything for xbox as opposed to other platforms.

Last edited by kevin corms, Sep 12, 2018
    Sinon likes this.
  3. MartyDreamy

MartyDreamy "Need a ride, handsome?"

Jul 1, 2015
    Italy
    Racoon City
    I was reading the title quickly and I read:
    Xbox one exploit release: gaining win32 code execution in "UWU" devmode

4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Is Jtag X1 possible??

Last edited by leon315, Sep 12, 2018
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Holy shit, that's big news. So it's literally just running Windows?

jimmyj likes this.
  6. Itsblaze302

Itsblaze302 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2017
    United States
    its fake, its just the microsoft store on windows 10.

7. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    As much as I hate the Xbox GUI (it feels like design by committee), I do enjoy their "put gamers first" that came about after the initial backlash of "digital only".

I would love to turn my xbox into an emulation machine. I already use it for Kodi and playing video files, so anything more in that direction is great.

Orangy57 and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    W
    Which is a dam shame, I'm really not an xbox guy at all but I do commend how great homebrew availability seems to be. Just a darn shame it doesn't have a catalog like Nintendo or even Sony to justify the console cost for me :/

kingtut likes this.
  9. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop Tito's $partan

Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    Great.

10. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Call me when we can install wind 10 X64 natively and run it with all drivers at full performance making Xbox One X a still fairly decent PC specially if we find a very good deal on a used one...

Since it will probably never happen my interest in Xbox this time is still 0% 4 the first time as I have a Xbox Original and a Xbx360, but totally skipped M$ current gen, thank you M$ 4 at least bringing almost all crap games for PC, now there is no need for a Xbone :)

weatMod likes this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The money is made through games, not hardware sales, and Microsoft owns both Xbox and the Windows store that many of the Xbox games are exclusive to on PC. They couldn't care less if people are buying xboxes, as long as people buy the games. The Xbox just exists as a way to get console only players access to those games, or people who just don't have a decent pc, as an Xbox is a cheaper option.

Giotis, kingtut and Rel like this.
  12. codemasterv

codemasterv Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    Via Dev t3 on DKS Discord.

just to be clear,

it has no graphical output and doesn't mean homebrew and needs new custom stuff implemented.

it's not a breakthrough or an exploit but a place to start.

Memoir likes this.
  13. kingtut

May 3, 2017
    United States
    Xbox original was the most homebrewed console out of its generation (ps2 and gamecube), it is not unheard of for xbox to get cool homebrew when the tools are available due to how many similarities they tend to have to PC. if the tools are there, and if people know how to overcome the restrictions, xbox one will be a fantastic platform for homebrew. You wouldn't even need to jailbreak it which is a major plus for people who are interested in homebrew, but do not want to give up on online. People have already found ways to get emulators on the xbox one without jailbreaking.

As far as I am aware, UWP restrictions were the biggest reason why most developers went to other platforms. There is a big blog by hyrdgrad (PPSSPP xbox one developer) on how much of a pain it was to port PPSSPP to UWP.

Last edited by kingtut, Sep 12, 2018
    Orangy57 likes this.
  14. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    unlikely, the jtag points have probably been disabled. the reason the jtag exploit happened was largely due to the fact that microsoft was trying to rush their product out ahead of sony. that's also, incidentally, the reason for the high failure rate of those early systems.

15. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    At least in the PC we can use the services 4 free no XLive Gold needed...

kingtut likes this.
  16. kingtut

May 3, 2017
    United States
    and for xbox one, you get game pass. I think Microsoft has a nice balance between both pc and xbox. As long as they make more exclusives that is all they need in my opinion

kikongokiller likes this.
  17. royvedas

royvedas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2007
    I hope this never amounts to anything. I don't want cheaters and hackers in multiplayer games

18. kingtut

May 3, 2017
    United States
    lol do not worry, if this succeeds, all it will do is allow people to run win32 apps and games on xbox one (no different than pc). I am sure online multiplayer games will still be restricted the way they are now

19. royvedas

royvedas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2007
    That's a relief. I hope you're right. Hacking destroyed Black Ops 2. I had to buy WWII to get something. Great game in many ways, but lootboxes, grinding and lack of content, especially mp maps, makes it a far lesser experience. I do however not want this to be hacked and destroyed as well.

kingtut likes this.