Gaming Xbox one emulator loophole

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I noticed something interesting today when checking the windows store. I noticed that the emulators that target devices that have games ( but not a dedicated gaming system) are still available in the store. There is currently a zx spectrum emulator and c64 emulator on the windows store. The reason why those emulators are still active is because they do not run only games, but they run devices that happened to have a lot of things beside gaming. This means that Microsoft still allows some emulators.

So I have a question, if that is the case, why don't we release dosbox on xbox one officially, since there is more to dos than gaming. why not port android emulators on xbox one like bluestacks, since android systems have more than gaming? Right now the only way to release emulators on xbox one is via dev mode, but I do not think anything is stopping us from releasing some emulators like the ones I mentioned on the windows store.

If microsoft's only problem is dedicated gaming system emulators, why not hide our emulators behind something more generic and release them this way on xbox one?

I thought that question was interesting to me, but I realize that there could be more to this question than what I am thinking?

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time I checked nearly anything is allowed on the windows store. It's the Xbox store where emus aren't allowed. I may be wrong tho. Even if they aren't allowed regardless i highly doubt they'll allow an android emulator. Plus we don't need one. http://Appetize.io ftw

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time I checked nearly anything is allowed on the windows store. It's the Xbox store where emus aren't allowed. I may be wrong tho. Even if they aren't allowed regardless i highly doubt they'll allow an android emulator. Plus we don't need one. http://Appetize.io ftw

Here is the a link with all of their guidelines: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn764944

At 10.13.10 it says: "Apps that emulate a game system are not allowed on any device family." That means all windows devices like the windows 10 store on HoloLens, not just the xbox one store. and yet there are still some emulators like the one I mentioned above available right now. Also it says "emulate a game system", so I assumed that if you emulate any system that has games besides other things should technically be allowed according to their guidelines

To prove my point, I rechecked the windows 10 store on pc. And all emulators like nesbox are gone. This means that they banned all emulators on all of their stores except for the ones I just mentioned. That is what made me think and try to understand why some emulators are allowed, and some are not

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am going to be perfectly honest, I have never heard of appetize before, how does it work and can we use it for xbox one?

Last edited by kingtut,

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the a link with all of their guidelines: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn764944

At 10.13.10 it says: "Apps that emulate a game system are not allowed on any device family." That means all windows devices like the windows 10 store on HoloLens, not just the xbox one store. and yet there are still some emulators like the one I mentioned above available right now. Also it says "emulate a game system", so I assumed that if you emulate any system that has games besides other things should technically be allowed according to their guidelines

To prove my point, I rechecked the windows 10 store on pc. And all emulators like nesbox are gone. This means that they banned all emulators on all of their stores except for the ones I just mentioned. That is what made me think and try to understand why some emulators are allowed, and some are not

I am going to be perfectly honest, I have never heard of appetize before, how does it work and can we use it for xbox one?
It's not a very well known thing. It emulates Android and iOS in HTML5, you can run a barebones device or install apks on android. I guess I haven't tried it but it stands to reason that it would work on Xbox, Microsoft edge should support everything needed

Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok, I will research that.

I was thinking mainly of the dos box emulator. It would be cool to play dos games without having to use dev mode

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1