Xbox One backwards compatibility list only contains 21 games so far

Microsoft has published the list of games that, as of June 2015, function with the backwards compatibility system allowing you to play Xbox 360 games on the Xbox one. There are only 21 games supported so far, and most of them aren't even full retail games (games such as Hexic HD, Alien Hominid, etc. are only sold on the online Xbox marketplace). This is all part of a Preview program for now, only a small selection of gamers are allowed to join in as it is invite-based.
  • A kingdom for keflings
  • A world of keflings
  • Alien hominid
  • Banjo kazooie
  • Banjo kazooie nuts n bolts
  • Banjo tooie
  • BattleBlock theater
  • Defense grid
  • Geometry wars evolved
  • Hexic HD
  • Jetpac refuelled
  • Kameo
  • Mass effect
  • Perfect Dark
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Small Arms
  • Super Meat boys
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy soldiers Cold War
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: trouble in paradise
Let's hope the list will get bigger quickly or this backwards compatibility announcement will quickly fall flat! In fact, if there are specific 360 games that you want to be able to play on your Xbox One, check out this survey run by Microsoft themselves. Right now Red Dead Redemption is at the top of the list, so there are good chances this title will be added to the list in the coming months.

Source: Xbox.com

xbone.jpg

D

Deleted User

Remember, that is completely subjective.
I remember hearing a lot about that Knack game and how it was the only system seller and not as good as Mario. Personally I find Mario to be meh but there was also Nintendo Land, ZombiU and Lego City Undercover followed shortly after.
Xbox One's was even worse I think, I don't remember any of it's launch games other than Zoo Tycoon.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What i don't get is , why dont people just keep their xbox360. 100% support there. Its super easy to keep what you already own. Why is that so hard to understand. Lack of hdmi ports is about as a lame of an excuse as no space is. Ever seen a HDMI Multi box? Trading in older consoles for the new console is no excuse either. Trading in is such a huge loss. BC is only really needed on portable systems. Backwards compatibility was never a problem for me.. Its called i keep the older console.

AndroD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any word on whether there will be upscaling or anything cool like that? Sounds like just straight up emulation.

tots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What i don't get is , why dont people just keep their xbox360. 100% support there. Its super easy to keep what you already own. Why is that so hard to understand. Lack of hdmi ports is about as a lame of an excuse as no space is. Ever seen a HDMI Multi box? Trading in older consoles for the new console is no excuse either. Trading in is such a huge loss. BC is only really needed on portable systems. Backwards compatibility was never a problem for me.. Its called i keep the older console.

Totally agree! Trade in value for old consoles is a pittance, might as well just keep them and not have to worry about this stuff.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013
D

Deleted User

hey... awful idea for a compatable game... sonic 06
I've been wanting that game actually but I sold my 360 when I got a Wii U
360 takes up space

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i dont see why people are that surprised, most of the games are RARE games (who are owned by microsoft, so probably had a head start on the conversion process) or indie games that wouldn't of taken too long to get fully up and running.........think of it like any other emulator, it always starts off with the simpler games that are less graphically intensive as they are the easiest to get working as there isn't as much complex stuff going on, and then it slowly exapands as they refine and map out the system in their emulator so they can drop more and more titles into it that just work without having to patch and fix each game indevidually

plus really come on guys, we should all remember the "backwards compatibility" for the xbox 360 right? started off with like 10 games and by the times they stopped adding games it stood at around 50% of games being compatible....truth is the backwards compatibility is usually just added so they can say "WOW! backwards compatibility"....but i highly doubt it will ever be anywhere near 100%.......maybe 50% at a push, and will probably take a year or more to get to that point

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You've just basically stated you're a single person there sunbeam...;)
Nothing wrong with that of course, but perhaps you can 'get' why those that aren't single like this idea: I've got an XO, PS4, Wii U, 360 (and a TV box. And a PC snuggled away in a nearby unit) all under the living room TV - the shit I get off my missus because of it is unbelievable.... chucking the 360 out from under there, into our bedroom is therefore a great idea (and also less cluttered as Snugglevixen says). Which brings up point #2.... do you still live at home with your parents? Or a flat? Having the 360 spare, and thus able to put it next to my bedroom TV also has several advantages as I'm sure you can understand....

So basically, and I said something similar to this to Nathan Drake earlier in the thread, just because you can't understand the point doesn't mean it's automatically a waste of time! You perhaps saw the reaction of the crowd at the announcement at E3, hopefully you can understand the 2 reasons I've chucked up there, and now realise where we're coming from ;)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think taking up additional space is a totally valid reason unless you suffer and are happy with some serious Diogenes syndrome.
For this reason I would keep the 360 and throw the One away.

D

Deleted User

I think taking up additional space is a totally valid reason unless you suffer and are happy with some serious Diogenes syndrome.
For this reason I would keep the 360 and throw the One away.
Yea, I was actually considering getting a second hand 360 but I don't have room for it so I'll just wait and see if Halo Reach and the Sonic games will get added to BC.

D

Deleted User

Reach will probably get added to master chief collection before they add it to BC.
I hope so.

Though it bugs me that whenever I try to play the big Halo 1 maps I have to go into an all games BTB playlist and get outvoted for a Halo 2 map so I would rather play Reach on it's own.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dear oh deary me.... it's simply a preview, for Preview Members only, and the actual release will (apparently) be over 100 titles... they need permission to release games from the developers on a per game basis, not to mention permission for any licensed music etc...
Let's compare this to PlayStation Now's initial launch, for preview members ;), earlier this year in the UK = 8 games... (and don't start @Nathan Drake :lol:, I'm just talking title numbers here). I don't recall seeing an outcry of 'OMFG! Only 8 games! Sony Bastards!!' because it was [also] a preview release not for the general public, so rightfully nobody batted an eyelid. Just like they shouldn't be doing here....

Come the proper launch sometime this Autumn if we only end up with a release list like this, then by all means grab the pitchforks - I'll be doing the same myself! :D - but at the moment this topic is rather meaningless..

Playstation Now never promised backward compatibility, just a way to play some games from previous generations.
When we talk about backward compatibility, that means 100% of the previous titles will work, or at least close to.
That's not backward compatibility, they're probably just porting some Xbox and X360 games to X1,
just like Sony did with some Playstation 2 games on Playstation 3, do you understand now why I'm disappointed?
This was just a dirty trick to get attention at E3.

Dunno what you're talking about, i've been bitching about sony for years, especially for their low quality hardware, and i always criticize them whenever i get the chance, not my fault they actually release good games from time to time and out of whole console crowd they're only ones that actually have anything worth playing ;/

Low quality hardware? What the hell are you talking about?
They had the strongest hardware on the last two generations.
Also the built quality of their products is great.
I had a 360 who had 3RL and DSes that had problems with the analogs and shoulder buttons, but I never had a problem with my PS3, PS4 or PSP,
they always worked great.

Last edited by VMM,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a 360 who had 3RL and DSes that had problems with the analogs and shoulder buttons, but I never had a problem with my PS3, PS4 or PSP,
He didn't say "weak", he said "low quality". The PS3 suffered from the YLOD, the PS2 had the Disc Read Errors, and I read the PSX had problems with FMV causing the system to overheat, warp the plastic and then cause read errors.

Also, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've just basically stated you're a single person there sunbeam...;)
Nothing wrong with that of course, but perhaps you can 'get' why those that aren't single like this idea: I've got an XO, PS4, Wii U, 360 (and a TV box. And a PC snuggled away in a nearby unit) all under the living room TV - the shit I get off my missus because of it is unbelievable.... chucking the 360 out from under there, into our bedroom is therefore a great idea (and also less cluttered as Snugglevixen says). Which brings up point #2.... do you still live at home with your parents? Or a flat? Having the 360 spare, and thus able to put it next to my bedroom TV also has several advantages as I'm sure you can understand....

So basically, and I said something similar to this to Nathan Drake earlier in the thread, just because you can't understand the point doesn't mean it's automatically a waste of time! You perhaps saw the reaction of the crowd at the announcement at E3, hopefully you can understand the 2 reasons I've chucked up there, and now realise where we're coming from ;)

I think is because most people want out with the old and in with the new. I Own my own home btw.
one computer type desk and i got more then enough space

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
tbh all consoles have had their share of issues ever since the PS2 era, doing console repairs, ever since the switch to optical media there has always been the problem of burnt out lasers, which are quite common across all consoles, then there is the PSP analogue stick which is/was prone to failure and ended up being sporadic on many consoles (walking around on itself), and both thee the launch xbox 360 consoles and launch PS3 consoles where prone to overheating resulting in the RROD and YLOD, although it was more common with the 360, there is still a unreasonable number of PS3 YLOD faults, but dead lasers seem to be quite a bit more common on the PS3 too......in comparison the nintendo wii was the only console that was quite rare to have faults that rendered it useless (but ofc the lower specs where most likely the cause for that)

i think at this point, the 360 slim and ps3 slim are probably about on par for reliability, and so far the only major common hardware faults between the PS4 and XBONE where the DOA PS4 units that had apparently been "sabotaged" by people being forced to make them....personally i wouldnt buy any of the launch consoles put out by MS or sony, it always boils down to cost for the first batch and corners are always cut for the first batches

Reactions: mightymuffy

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Playstation Now never promised backward compatibility, just a way to play some games from previous generations.
When we talk about backward compatibility, that means 100% of the previous titles will work, or at least close to.
That's not backward compatibility, they're probably just porting some Xbox and X360 games to X1,
just like Sony did with some Playstation 2 games on Playstation 3, do you understand now why I'm disappointed?
This was just a dirty trick to get attention at E3.

Sorry pal but you're simply misinformed here - just because the initial release for preview members/this thread title says 21 games doesn't mean a jot: on full initial release come this fall they've promised over 100 titles - the only games that won't be compatible are those that require xbox 360 peripherals (ie Kinect 1, Rock band/GH instruments), and MS themselves have owned up to currently having problems with multi disc games (though this will be fixed apparently). Now [once the multi disc issue is fixed] that screams backward compatibility to me...;) Further proof in you not being read up on the subject is you mentioned original Xbox titles...?? No mention of those...
You can't realistically sit there and demand EVERY single game playable on day 1 of release either - in the real world (and mentioned before on here, not just from me either) there's licensing issues: 3rd party games - in game licensed music tracks and the like.

Reactions: chavosaur

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The only reason Nintendo BC works 100% of the time is because they have the old hardware built into their consoles.
They don't emulate anything they just play them. However this is a very expensive way of doing BC. Your console either ends up costing 599$ like the PS3 did on launch or your tech is going to be outdated because you cut the price on the tech. Which evidently is what Nintendo does.
So no when talking about BC we don't talk about 100% of previous titles working.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Xbox One Elite controller will do wonders for gamers who'll try to get the best experience out of 360 and One games. I sure as heck would love it they had made it compatible with PS4 and Wii U too, but I get why such things aren't possible. The XO Elite controller looks all around amazing and its price? $150. Yeah, not for everyone's wallets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol