Xbox Series X will allow for higher framerates on backwards compatible games

4C83E892-DFE6-42E2-886E-F22BCAE9F459.jpeg

Microsoft has already promised that their Xbox Series X will support new games running at high resolutions, with above average refresh rates supported on the console. But older games will also benefit from the Series X’s power. Backwards compatible titles won’t just run via emulation or through included legacy hardware—they’ll be running natively on the system. Features that will be available for Xbox Series X titles, such as HDR, Quick Resume, and fast loading times will also apply to Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, allowing for better visuals and performance on next-gen hardware. Some games previously only playable at 30fps will even be unlocked to play at 60 or even 120fps. Through this, “thousands” of games, both new and old, will be playable on the Series X at launch.

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There are a billion different video formats, codecs, containers and sub divisions of all of those.

However for DVD players a group of companies (electronics, video, film studios, optical disc makers....) got together, said why not use these things for the next few years, they all said yes.

Sony and Microsoft are part of many working groups that do the same for everything from HDMI to directX, would be nothing for them to do it here either (this CPU, this much memory, this GPU design, this hard drive, this baseline number of buttons on a controller, this underlying OS speaking these APIs...) and allow other people to make them under license or open (I would prefer open as per older computers but I am at least somewhat realistic on that one).

At that point if someone wants to pay for a console that also has a TV decoder in it then they can, if someone wants to pay for one with a fancy 5.1 audio amp in it then they can, if I just want a basic plug it in and chuck in a controller then I can too. No worries about buying the wrong console and missing out on a game/series/DLC, no timed exclusive nonsense, no devs having to worry about porting something between multiple different consoles that have subtly different limitations and then later a PC and making it all look vaguely the same, no worries about having to have multiple subscriptions (unless of course I want them), no having to find extra wires/ports on my TV, no worrying about having to charge a whole different set of controllers (granted I use wires).
What an absolutely horrible world that would be.
so you want to stop games from evolving for years to come becuase they cant be better than said performances? lol and only evolve when a new media is put on the market?Also no company could make diferent cpus or gpus becuase they would not play games anymore if they changed the codding on them? seriuosuly your idea would kill all pc development for years to come, also what about OS? becuase videofiles dont need to worry about the os while games do since each os works diferently interacting with each cpu/gpu and so on, you wanted every console to run windows?

also games dont work like that, while for movies and pc you can say only use this amount of this for this and that for that, many games are coded diferently to take a better use of the hardware, like using storage from places they shouldnt use and so on. for instance indiana jones on n64 even used the cartridge memory as ram memory to display on screen which no game did.

Last edited by pedro702,

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i hope forza motorsport 4 will one day be backwards compatible, still have my steelbook copy even though I sold my 360 in 2016.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so you want to stop games from evolving for years to come becuase they cant be better than said performances? lol and only evolve when a new media is put on the market?

also games dont work like that, while for movies and pc you can say only use this amount of this for this and that for that, many games are coded diferently to take a better use of the hardware, like using storage from places they shouldnt use and so on. for instance indiana jones on n64 even used the cartridge memory as ram memory to display on screen which no game did.

I am not talking about getting rid of the PC.

Also like they do already? Plenty of devs already have to hold things back because of limitations of the hardware that is still out there, in this case part of the reason DirectX10 failed at first was not only because Vista was awful and nobody got it but because the PS3 and 360 were both DX9 based devices and the devs would have to split performance/builds. It would also only be for about as long as console generations are now.

Similarly do games also need that much more performance to evolve? There is plenty of scope to explore existing gameplay concepts with refined ideas about actual gameplay.
Sure more hardware can help with many things and open up many new worlds for different people, however things have somewhat matured and we are at something of a plateau right now. I can build worlds that would take a lifetime to explore, have a thousand hours of motion capture make a pretty swish face. Film studios could also make a 600 hour series full of CGI, thousands of extras, complex narratives and more besides (book authors have been doing that for centuries) but it would cost a fortune so they don't, still have nice videos to watch though.

Games can also be coded that way, mainly as they have. Bolting on extra hardware was popular in the cartridge days but those days are behind us.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you fail to realize the ps4 bios is there becuase their is ps4 harware inside lol, ps4 isnt being runned through magic, but their own prts, if you open a ps4 take out the cpu,gpu,mother board put it inside a pc box alongside your own pc and put a switch on the pc box to ttogle between ps4 mode and pc mode is that really magic? or your just hidding the parts inside a bigger box and displaying them on the same monitor? lol
when did i say this was magic???

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a PlayStation fan I'm probably gonna end up getting the XSX. Microsoft is being so open about the XSX and everything we hear about it is good news. With the PS5 Sony hasn't been keeping their fans updated at all and have left them in the dark. Don't know why they think it's a good idea to stay silent but Sony has a track record for being stupid.

Really looking for that XSEX, aren't ya'? ;)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I liked it ssd cartridges.

Why aren't they using sd card like media instead of blu ray ?
Because flash is incredibly more expensive to mass produce than simply pressing Blu-ray discs. It makes 0 sense to use flash based storage for games on a home console, regardless of the storage speed benefits.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think frame rate was an issue to begin with in 'Splosion Man or Geometry Wars 2. Those are the only two remaining Xbox exclusives I'd maybe want to play more of, but I can just as easily emulate them if the mood strikes me.

Sony is very likely to follow suit here anyway, and most people can probably agree that if there's one game from this generation that needs performance improvements more than any other, it's Bloodborne.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think frame rate was an issue to begin with in 'Splosion Man or Geometry Wars 2. Those are the only two remaining Xbox exclusives I'd maybe want to play more of, but I can just as easily emulate them if the mood strikes me.

Sony is very likely to follow suit here anyway, and most people can probably agree that if there's one game from this generation that needs performance improvements more than any other, it's Bloodborne.
Also FF7R. Mostly on the texture side though
the game looks like it came straight out of 2015

Reactions: Xzi

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they didnt make you download the entire game from their servers i would say yes, but like its on xbox one, they only read the disc id and then you need to download the whole modified game from xbox servers becuase they mod the games engine to emulate them and whatnot, meaning your discs are basicly a drm that you cant even install, no internet no Backwards compat at all.

The article says it runs the game natively though. So maybe downloading it is only optional, and you can still play direct from disc if you prefer.

Crazystato

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Waiting for Sony to come out soon and say "whoops, sorry we told some fibs. PS5 20TFLOPS 2TB HDD" full backwards compatibility for all previous libraries" we can only dream through. Regardless of what features and who's id more powerful. ill have to grab a ps5 as I've sunk way too many hours in ps3 and 4 games. Trophy hunter here.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The article says it runs the game natively though. So maybe downloading it is only optional, and you can still play direct from disc if you prefer.

highly doubful, i bet they wont change how backwards compat works from xbox one to series x, maybe it instals xbox one games nativvely but orignal xbox and xbox360 will be basicaly the same where you have to download everything.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Imagine Resident Evil Code Veronica X on a high resolution.
Now while I did pick up a PS2 copy a while back I have not really played it since the Dreamcast, but can still remember pretty much all of it fondly.

Not sure what that gains me though. Most things take place in close quarters with pretty well designed layouts for everything (I know it was the first to start doing more pans and move away from backgrounds).

If they wanted to do a RE2 remake style take on the game that would be another thing but simple high res (or indeed redoing all the art as nice and shiny)... yeah I would probably take it if done well but would not seek it out or anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol