1. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    Me too.

CrossOut likes this.
  2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    so you want to stop games from evolving for years to come becuase they cant be better than said performances? lol and only evolve when a new media is put on the market?Also no company could make diferent cpus or gpus becuase they would not play games anymore if they changed the codding on them? seriuosuly your idea would kill all pc development for years to come, also what about OS? becuase videofiles dont need to worry about the os while games do since each os works diferently interacting with each cpu/gpu and so on, you wanted every console to run windows?

also games dont work like that, while for movies and pc you can say only use this amount of this for this and that for that, many games are coded diferently to take a better use of the hardware, like using storage from places they shouldnt use and so on. for instance indiana jones on n64 even used the cartridge memory as ram memory to display on screen which no game did.

Last edited by pedro702, May 29, 2020
  3. campbell0505

campbell0505 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i hope forza motorsport 4 will one day be backwards compatible, still have my steelbook copy even though I sold my 360 in 2016.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I am not talking about getting rid of the PC.

Also like they do already? Plenty of devs already have to hold things back because of limitations of the hardware that is still out there, in this case part of the reason DirectX10 failed at first was not only because Vista was awful and nobody got it but because the PS3 and 360 were both DX9 based devices and the devs would have to split performance/builds. It would also only be for about as long as console generations are now.

Similarly do games also need that much more performance to evolve? There is plenty of scope to explore existing gameplay concepts with refined ideas about actual gameplay.
    Sure more hardware can help with many things and open up many new worlds for different people, however things have somewhat matured and we are at something of a plateau right now. I can build worlds that would take a lifetime to explore, have a thousand hours of motion capture make a pretty swish face. Film studios could also make a 600 hour series full of CGI, thousands of extras, complex narratives and more besides (book authors have been doing that for centuries) but it would cost a fortune so they don't, still have nice videos to watch though.

Games can also be coded that way, mainly as they have. Bolting on extra hardware was popular in the cartridge days but those days are behind us.

5. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    when did i say this was magic???

6. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Really looking for that XSEX, aren't ya'? ;)

7. Seliph

Seliph Antifa "terrorist"

United States
    Good point, I should've said the best thing they've done for consoles.

8. Mohammed2935

Mohammed2935 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    I liked it ssd cartridges.

Why aren't they using sd card like media instead of blu ray ?

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Because flash is incredibly more expensive to mass produce than simply pressing Blu-ray discs. It makes 0 sense to use flash based storage for games on a home console, regardless of the storage speed benefits.

64bitmodels likes this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    I don't think frame rate was an issue to begin with in 'Splosion Man or Geometry Wars 2. Those are the only two remaining Xbox exclusives I'd maybe want to play more of, but I can just as easily emulate them if the mood strikes me.

Sony is very likely to follow suit here anyway, and most people can probably agree that if there's one game from this generation that needs performance improvements more than any other, it's Bloodborne.

11. 64bitmodels

United States
    Also FF7R. Mostly on the texture side though
    the game looks like it came straight out of 2015

Xzi likes this.
  12. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Coming to PC anyway, so we'll definitely be able to see what it looks like at its best.

64bitmodels likes this.
  13. 64bitmodels

United States
    If only Bloodborne came to PC as well...

Xzi likes this.
  14. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The article says it runs the game natively though. So maybe downloading it is only optional, and you can still play direct from disc if you prefer.

15. Crazystato

Crazystato GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Waiting for Sony to come out soon and say "whoops, sorry we told some fibs. PS5 20TFLOPS 2TB HDD" full backwards compatibility for all previous libraries" we can only dream through. Regardless of what features and who's id more powerful. ill have to grab a ps5 as I've sunk way too many hours in ps3 and 4 games. Trophy hunter here.

16. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Cringe

17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    highly doubful, i bet they wont change how backwards compat works from xbox one to series x, maybe it instals xbox one games nativvely but orignal xbox and xbox360 will be basicaly the same where you have to download everything.

18. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Imagine Resident Evil Code Veronica X on a high resolution.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Now while I did pick up a PS2 copy a while back I have not really played it since the Dreamcast, but can still remember pretty much all of it fondly.

Not sure what that gains me though. Most things take place in close quarters with pretty well designed layouts for everything (I know it was the first to start doing more pans and move away from backgrounds).

If they wanted to do a RE2 remake style take on the game that would be another thing but simple high res (or indeed redoing all the art as nice and shiny)... yeah I would probably take it if done well but would not seek it out or anything.

20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    like it is right now on the PC? :creep:

PROTOBOY likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - framerates, compatible, backwards