Xbox 720 Rumor Round-up

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Devin, Nov 27, 2011.

Nov 27, 2011

Xbox 720 Rumor Round-up by Devin at 4:10 PM (3,342 Views / 1 Likes) 30 replies

1. Devin
    OP

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    [​IMG]

Xbox 720 Roundup

What are your thoughts on the "Xbox 720"? I personally am looking forward to see what Mircosoft can do with it. Graphics wise, this should be pretty interesting as well because of the rumor that it will be utilizing Holographic Versatile Discs which can hold of to 6TBs of data. Of course all this space doesn't have to be used. (Think of Sony, and their Blu-Ray discs.) Hopefully we might see a glimpse of some games in development or possible even a picture of the prototype in the future years to come. As for you PC gamers, think Microsoft's going to give you a run for your money? Promising the console to be at least 10x faster than the current gen consoles, would give the console quite a edge.

[​IMG] Source

1 person likes this.

2. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Regardless of what it turns out to be (spec wise)... I want one.

3. Gadgetguy96

Newcomer Gadgetguy96 Member

United States
    10x, that is a lot of speed!

4. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Microsoft steals the best from all the other 1st parties & puts it together, which is a genius marketing scheme, but I hope Nintendo stays relevant even with all they're stabs at "innovation".

5. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    well if its going to have 6TB should be interesting for content, FMV and loading times, although you wont be able to install to hard drive pmsl. As for the rest of the console anything better than now is progress so we shall see what the future holds

6. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Same here.

Hopefully it will be as sturdy as the original Xbox (without the faulty Thompson DVD Drive)

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Nice round-up, and really liking the probability ratings.
    2015 would amaze me honestly, 2013-2014 is where the magic will happen. That's actually longer than I thought it would last.

8. SS4

Member SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    ROFL, yeah well computer were 10 times faster than console....5 years ago lol

New console gen will be similar to a mid range gaming PC spec wise, its always been like that. And gaming PC are almost obsolete after 2 years so tells us a lot about console that stays on the market for 10 years :P

I will be looking at grabing a cheap PS3 when the PS4 comes out and ill never give a penny to Micro$oft ever so i won't be getting 6 crapbox (i think thats the average that all my friends that tought it would be a good idea to buy went through lol).

I like handheld because they are convenient and portable, but for real gaming ill always turn to a PC. I cant believe FPS became more popular with a controller than with a mouse+keyboard lol"

The reason i buy a console at the end of its life is for a cheap way to get some great exclusive and the PS3 has a great list of those.

Anyways, sry for the long post :P

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    • Bullshit, my PC was purchased in January 2008, and there is no game it can't run out there. BF 3 on medium, Skyrim on Ultra, after 3,5 years, almost 4.
    • I believe it'll be closer to 2 than 6, which is still a real shame IMHO. If you buy a console on the first day, you want it to never die, else I would feel displeased and very angry. My DS Lite is still working till this day, that's the way it should be.

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This is some interesting stuff, even if it goes into the "Wildly Implausible" category from time to time.

As long as the achievements carry over, count me in; seriously, it's the addiction I can't break.

11. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    How much data a game needs? How much games going cost?

12. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    xbox 720. 720 stands for the resolution it will play its games because the hardware will still suck

13. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    It's not going to be called 'Xbox 720'. That name is just stupid.

Also everybody knows that a new console won't be release until Wii U comes out then its PS3:Ultra and Xbox Pi2.

14. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Personally I'm looking forward to the hardware. Hopefully it doesn't overheat.

As for software, everything except XBL. Live Silver is just too limited and the paid version is tbh very expensive.

15. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    No way in hell it will use HVDs. For one thing, there not even out commercailly yet. For another thing, when they do come out, the discs are expected to be ungodly expensive compared to normal discs, at $100 per disc. It would make neo geo games look cheap, lol.

The rest of the article is usual pr fluff.

16. Taellon

Member Taellon GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'm betting on late 2012 or early 2013. Even with Halo 4 coming out, I can see them releasing it as both a 360 title and a next xbox launch title, sort of like what Nintendo did with Twilight Princess.

Either way, I'm going to pass on it. Microsoft drove all the franchises I liked into the ground. I'm only mildly interested in Halo 4, and everything else is dead. I'm going back to my PC roots. Heck, I'm even starting to get interested in getting a PS3 now, and I've never had reason to buy a Sony console before. PS3 has a number of games that look interesting, and the sharpshooter controller looks like fun(I have a Wii already and enjoy FPS with wiimote+nunchuck more than dual-analog. Of course Keyboard+mouse reigns king still).

17. ChaosZero816

Member ChaosZero816 Temp's Official Random Member

Philippines
    10x the power. I would love to see that. I also want to see how freaking expensive the thing would be.

18. MattiasAndersson

Newcomer MattiasAndersson Member

10x faster? What are they measuring? If it is GFLOPS, I don't think that number is likely. It would require 2 GPU's?

19. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    I don't see how a fully integrated Kinect could even work. I mean, you'd have to set the console directly under, in front of, or on top of their television... and very few people do that.

20. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Holographic discs ?

It was first developed by a short list of corporations, including Nintendo.
    It's now a bigger "forum", including Sony and Apple... but not Microsoft?

Of course they don't require to be part of the forum to use it, but I thought they would participate to the forum to add their own features idea to the format.

About the 6TB of data ...
    Yeah for 5.9TB of super ultra HD videos with 5H of boring gameplay :rolleyes:
    I miss a little the SNES era, where developers cared to make stories and good graphics, not graphics only.

Hopefully some developers still care about the players.