xbox 360 hacking - questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Mattaker, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    Hello guys,
    My questions might seem basic, but I'm completely newb at this, so excuse me.
    I'm thinking of having someone hack my xbox 360, but before I'd like to know a couple things.

-So, if I do get my xbox 360 hacked, will I still be able to play online whenever I want to?

-Is there any limitation in the games that I can play? for example, will I be able to play very recent games? And can I download the games myself?

And is there anything else you think I should know before going foward with this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mattaker
    This message by Mattaker has been removed from public view by raulpica, Aug 30, 2013, Reason: You don't bump threads after 50 mins. Actually you don't EVER bump them on GBAtemp -rp.
    Aug 29, 2013
  3. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    take it easy.

It all depends on the hack your gonna use

whith RGH/JTAG/R-JTAG (most used I guess) you cant play online and you can play all games. For the other hacks i dont know to be honest

Mattaker likes this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There are three main classes of hack

Minor software fiddling.
    Things like installing PIRS DLC (DLC that comes with some game of the year games and can be installed by anybody, quite legitimately, on anything). You can do this with a USB drive. If you get into modding saves and maybe dashes you might run into issues, every other hack that fell into this category (profile sharing and such like) has since been squashed by Microsoft.

DVD mod
    Varies a tiny bit depending upon what dash you are on and varies quite a bit depending upon what model of 360 you have.
    Also falling into this are ODDE type mods where the DVD drive is intercepted by a not so cheap device and redirected to USB.
    With these online is available, you can be banned by at this point we have not seen bans in years but play it like it might happen and if you buy a year of live and it happens tomorrow you will get little sympathy from anybody.
    Limitations as far as new games. Some future games might see something odd happen which sees you have to update your DVD mod though this is considered unlikely at this point (it can and did happen at several points but we are drawing towards the end of the 360's lifetime).
    You can download them yourself, you will need a special drive (see ihas and related drives as well as BurnerMAX) to burn many newer games though. You are restricted to games made for the region of the xbox or otherwsie region unlocked for your region. Europe is actually pretty good these days as long as you are not a fan of playing every Japanese shmup that comes along and are not a fan of American sports though even there you can get a lot done.

JTAG/RGH/RJTAG mod
    This is the good stuff -- it allows USB loading, homebrew (there is not a lot), hard drive loading, region free, modded games, XBLA, DLC and a bit more besides. You are looking at finding someone that knows how to solder and spending a bit on parts for any of this save perhaps JTAG though your machine is probably long past JTAG capable (August 2009 was the update that killed JTAG).
    It does not inherently allow copied DVDs but with the other options most people do not care.
    It comes at the cost of online, there are some very annoying mods for the RGH stuff that allow you to maintain two kernels and have one for online and one for hacks but most around here would not suggest doing this as it is not easy to maintain a working/safe setup here.

Mattaker likes this.
  5. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    I guess I'll have to ask the guy who's hacking it for me. The thing is I don't know the dude. He can easily deceive me, I guess.

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Just ask for the installment of an Xkey.

If you want online gameplay, then get an Xkey/DVD mod.
    I've written a guide for it as well, to help you decide what you want etc.

Mattaker likes this.
  7. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

I want to keep the ability to play online, so if I do it it will be a DVD Mod.

This completely turned me off though. Especially because I only have a laptop. When you say many newer games, do you mean like the majority of them?

8. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Yes, every game that is 8.5 GB.
    You'll have to use a special burner.

That's why I reccomend the Xkey.
    It's a bigger investment but pays off more as you can store ISO's on a harddrive.

Mattaker likes this.
  9. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    It does look like a much better idea to me, I'm not sure if the guy does it though. I'll have to talk to him.

10. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Otherwise ask if he can retrieve your DVD key for you.
    That way you can install the Xkey yourself ;]

Mattaker likes this.
  11. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    Are the chances of effing it up high if I do this myself?

And I've got a couple other questions:
    -How long will I have to wait to be able to download recently released games?
    *No, no, no, no no*

12. pyromaniac123
    This message by pyromaniac123 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Sep 12, 2013.
    Sep 12, 2013
  13. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Depends.
    If it's a Slim then the chances are far higher then a late Phatty with a liteon drive.

You'll have to wait until their verified in the ABGX database (day or 2 orso after release)
    Also, NEVER play games on XBLive (even connected to Live is playing on live) that haven't been released yet.
    This WILL lead to a ban!

Mattaker likes this.
  14. Chiejina

Chiejina GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    United States

Yeah... they only ban for huge games, like Halo.
    Its fine to play online. I've been doing it for a year now. I usually just disconnect from live when im playing and unreleased game on Xkey.
    Everyone says hacked xboxes are not live safe but I'm yet to see one banned for using Xk3y. People who usually come out saying
    their Xbox was banned because of Xk3y have pretty much been debunked everytime they come up.

I warn you tho... you will have so many playable games you will get tired of it haha. I have about 30 games on a hard drive and i havent touched it in months. Waiting for GTA V tho.

Xk3y is a great investment. Don't pay someone to instal it for you, its not too hard. Just follow the tutorial videos exactly and everything will run perfect.
    Good luck on your choice! But yeah get the dvd key from the guy. Thats all you'll need.

EDit, oh yeah if you decide to get it. Make sure you order some 360 opening kit, don't go using a wrong screwdrivers and stripping the screws. I remembered i vowed i'd never open an xbox because i know i'd eff it up. Its honestly not hard.

Mattaker likes this.
  15. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    ^ fully agreed.

However, just don't play unreleased games on Live yet.
    Nor play the pre-release.
    WAIT TILL RELEASE DATE!
    Also, check them with ABGX.
    I written a tut on it ;]

Mattaker likes this.
  16. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    It's a Slim lol. That thing just looks so sensitive, I'm afraid to touch it.

Thanks and I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm just so lost in this.

17. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    If it's an early Slim then you can dump it without any hardware modification.
    Well.. you might need a X360USB Pro if your SATA chipset isn't compatible.

If that's the case then better ask that guy if he is willing to extract it ;]

Mattaker likes this.
  18. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    I bought it about 2.5 years ago.

19. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Then it's a easy to dump early Slim.

I'd say check if your SATA chipset is compatible by comparing it here
    Then download Jungleflasher and follow the manual that comes with it.

Mattaker likes this.
  20. Mattaker
    OP

Mattaker Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2013
    ok, just one more question :)
    -Do 2 disc games like GTA V represent any kind of limitation?

21. Mementos

Mementos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2013
    Gambia, The
    No, no limitations, a flashed custom fw drive works just like a original fw drive. GTA V, and all other multiple disk games works fawlessly =) Tho, you need an ihas x24b drive to burn xgd3 games correctly. Or a burner which is comaptible with the payload tool.

Mattaker likes this.
  22. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    ^ that yes.

However, if you get an Xkey you won't need to burn them lol.
    Just ABGX them and drag and drop.

Mattaker likes this.