Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
HI,

Wondering if anyone can help who has experience with X Rom 512. I have had my X Rom since Jan 2006, with no issues, running on a GBA SP . My X Rom is currently only able to boot to the menu game selection screen. I can access the RTC to change the time, I can scroll throught the game list, but if I attempt to select a game, it freezes. I was thinking maybe the battery was dead, but if so, I would think the RTC clock would be way off. Once I press any key on a game title it is totally frozen. I have to turn the unit off and back on.

The GBA SP is fully charged and plays all original GBA, GBA Advance games fine, so the unit itself is fine.

I don't use the X Rom much any more, since I purchased my DS Lite with DS-X. The GBA sits with the X Rom in the unit and are used about once a week. I have not altered the game list in over 6 months. I am wondering if it is just age related. In which case I would be searching for a new unit from a Canadian store to replace the X Rom. It would need RTC or at least an alternate software related method to ensure games are saved properly.

I quoted in a previous topic about possibly getting this unit EZ-Flash V 3 in 1 Expansion Pack GBA Size, http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.ph...products_id=699 , but it looks like it doesn't have RTC. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3in1 does not have an RTC, no. However, this would only affect the Pokemon games, and you can patch some of them to work without an RTC.

UofG2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To clarify the EZ-Flash V 3 in 1 Expansion Pack GBA Size , would work in a GBA SP alone by itself? A lot of reviews seem to point towards it only being used to load GBA roms via a Slot 1 DS cart.

I need only a replacement for my XRom 512 to be used on my GBA SP.

Thanks,

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically it would work if you flashed a game to its NOR flash. However, you'd still have to use a DS and a slot-1 device in order to change the game that's on it.

Look into the other EZ-Flash devices if you're looking for a dedicated GBA flash device.

UofG2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
UofG2000 said:
HI,

Wondering if anyone can help who has experience with X Rom 512. I have had my X Rom since Jan 2006, with no issues, running on a GBA SP . My X Rom is currently only able to boot to the menu game selection screen. I can access the RTC to change the time, I can scroll throught the game list, but if I attempt to select a game, it freezes. I was thinking maybe the battery was dead, but if so, I would think the RTC clock would be way off. Once I press any key on a game title it is totally frozen. I have to turn the unit off and back on.

The GBA SP is fully charged and plays all original GBA, GBA Advance games fine, so the unit itself is fine.

I don't use the X Rom much any more, since I purchased my DS Lite with DS-X. The GBA sits with the X Rom in the unit and are used about once a week. I have not altered the game list in over 6 months. I am wondering if it is just age related. In which case I would be searching for a new unit from a Canadian store to replace the X Rom. It would need RTC or at least an alternate software related method to ensure games are saved properly.

I quoted in a previous topic about possibly getting this unit EZ-Flash V 3 in 1 Expansion Pack GBA Size, http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.ph...products_id=699 , but it looks like it doesn't have RTC. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Hi,

In case anyone else has an X Rom, I resolved this issue, by erasing all the roms from the X-Rom and putting new ones on. I unfortunately lost my save files. If I attempted to restore the save files from the roms, it would cause the X- Rom to only boot one game or freeze as mentioned above.

Once the card was erased, all new games worked and saved properly with no issues!

Thanks for listening!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UofG2000 said:
To clarify the EZ-Flash V 3 in 1 Expansion Pack GBA Size , would work in a GBA SP alone by itself? A lot of reviews seem to point towards it only being used to load GBA roms via a Slot 1 DS cart.

I need only a replacement for my XRom 512 to be used on my GBA SP.

Thanks,

firstly REMEMBERING here that there are 2 FLAVOURS of 3 IN 1 cards FULL SIZED GBA which you would need for a GBA as a 3 IN 1 LITE version wouldnt fit it would be too short to reach the contacts
frown.gif

secondly here ... how are you going to get roms onto it in the first place if you intend on getting a 3 IN 1 ??

they are usually afaik used with SLOT 1 cards and ezloader type tools with a gba to copy from SLOT 1 to SLOT 2 .. with just a GBA how are you going to do that??

If you want purely to have a SLOT 2 gba flash card then I will suggest an EZ FLASH III dev kit and GBA card combination they are pretty cheap now for 1gbit versions and will fit around 15-20 games on the NAND side + an extra one on the 256bit side of the cards chipset
smile.gif

it has a battery for those all important REAL TIME CLOCK games such as pokemon and they work well I have 2 of these EZFLASH III cards 1gbit and a 2gbit and they have served us well for about 3 years or so now and still get used today for the odd blast on GBA roms in the kids DS consoles
wink.gif

edit just seen you resolved this issue UofG2000 nice one!

additional here ... sometimes crap happens with any kinda flash card with corruption and as you found out blanking/formatting it off resolves this issue unfortunate side effect is usually lost saved games but at least you know that you dont have to replace your faithful card
smile.gif

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UofG2000 said:
Hi,

In case anyone else has an X Rom, I resolved this issue, by erasing all the roms from the X-Rom and putting new ones on. I unfortunately lost my save files. If I attempted to restore the save files from the roms, it would cause the X- Rom to only boot one game or freeze as mentioned above.

Once the card was erased, all new games worked and saved properly with no issues!

Thanks for listening!

If I had seen this earlier, i might have been able to shed some light on this, it is caused by Littlewriter which I am guessing you are using not correctly working with some game saves. Normally the newer gba pokemon saves that were larger than what it was expecting and overwrote the beginning of the compressed saves thus freezing the program when it could not swap out the active and compressed save. Mr tool should be able to make proper save allocation since it does not use compressed saves (but you get less games on the cart since once the save spaces are allocated, no more games can be added needing saves) or run it as a single rom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_