X-COM Enemy unknown

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Adventures_of_Lo, Feb 7, 2007.

Feb 7, 2007
  1. Adventures_of_Lo
    OP

Newcomer Adventures_of_Lo Advanced Member

Finland
    Has anyone attempted to port this great game to DS? Would it be possible? This is one of the best PC games of all time, and it'd be great to play it on the go.

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    With most stuff the question is not 'is it possible' but rather 'who will do it?'.
    Offer around 5000$ to programmers and you might see a perfect port within a few months. There's nothing better than money as "motivation" [​IMG]

3. Flavor

Member Flavor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The problem isn't about money. Go ahead and offer $5000 up. As far as I know, nobody has the source code, so how would they port it?

There are some X-Com inspired open-source projects. Maybe they'd like $5000 to port their stuff to the DS, but I doubt that it'd help anything.

If you wanna play X-Com on your DS, here's the closest thing.
    Rebelstar: Tactical Command
    I played through it on my GBA. It's pretty good. Just be aware that one of the levels has a nasty glitch, so read some FAQs before playing.

4. Zhark

Newcomer Zhark Member

Canada
    There is a beta xcom for the pocket pc, made by some guys in eastern europe (I think), I tried it, and is almost carbon copy of the original xcom. They have not implemented touch screen capabilities, and is a little hard to play because you can't use a mouse [​IMG]

I think a port from that version to DS won't be that hard to come with, they have the source code and the processors aren't that different right? (I'm completely ignorant about the technical CPU specifications of the DS)

5. Flavor

Member Flavor GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think that the one you're talking about only had the battles implemented (meaning no geoscape, resource management, research, etc.) and no AI. I could be wrong, though. If that's good for you, go with Rebelstar.