Chrustoph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This might sound moronic.

I have a bunch of old routers laying around the house but the one I am using is WPA.
Can I plug an older router into my LAN port on my pc and continue the broadcast of my WPA router through my PC as a WEP/unsecured connection?

Does that make sence?

Modem, to WPA router, to Computer, to WEP router via Lan port.

to connect my DSlite of course.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
misteromar said:
Why not just change the one you are using now to WEP?

Just a guess, he wants to allow his DS internet access without lowering the security level on the whole system.

I also guess it's pretty moot doing that, unless maybe he wants something he can just unplug when not using the DS with it. If it's running all the time, you're right, there really is no point, he should just set the main router to WEP.

Even if it does work, it's probably not worth the hassle unless there's been a history of people attacking the router. WEP's not very secure, but it's enough to send casual people looking to see if there's another access point that's open instead.

I use WEP (for DS reasons), and even though I live on a pretty busy street, just down the road from a JR high, no one's even tried to get into my system.

Chrustoph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Misteromar - I use WPA because it allows for the access of N extreme signal which is an essential in a house as large and ancient as mine. If I switch to WEP it seems to "downgrade" the speed of my connection and I lose the full potential of the internet I pay for (while using the other computers in my home)

TbhTbh - Internet thieving is my neighborhood specialty and definitely a problem. Furthermore, unplugging the device while not being used by the DS is exactly my intent.

I am currently tinkering with "connectify" using my D-link dongle as internet and my laptop built in card as the wifi spot, adhoc unsecured and wep.

It appears to work the way it's suspposed to but DSlite connection test fails error code 51301 (tried Adhoc unsecure and WEP). I have no other devices to try on my homemade hot spot though

*edit - clarification

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not sure exactly how you would do it then man, I think you would prolly need to plug the second router in to the first one and use bridge mode.

Maybe one of those little nintendo made usb wifi dongles would suit you better.

Chrustoph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would have done that first but unfortunately 1 they dont run with windows 7 and 2 they are very troublesome and theres a reason nintendo stopped supporting them lol. I think I will dig up some old routers and try going from WPA to WEP through the the router via LAN port instead of dongle to Wifi spot.

I'll update my progress soon then.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Router > router will result in Router > Hotspot.
As far as I know they will share IP and security protocols.
So just make it WPA. Maybe you would have to use the IP forwarding funtions of your Router in order to make it work.
Don't think there is a upnp funtion for that.
If you do not have enough lan ports, try using BRIDGE MODE.
The second router will become a switch and will get the IP from the primary Router.

forge279

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I made that configuration months ago to connect my DSL. I use an old router (a Dlink) with unsecure/WEP connected in my current router (a Linksys) with secure/WPA2 configuration and worked perfectly. Right now I'm in the work, but when i return to my house I'll post the config I used (the dns, etc.)

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chrustoph said:
This might sound moronic.

I have a bunch of old routers laying around the house but the one I am using is WPA.
Can I plug an older router into my LAN port on my pc and continue the broadcast of my WPA router through my PC as a WEP/unsecured connection?

Does that make sence?

Modem, to WPA router, to Computer, to WEP router via Lan port.

to connect my DSlite of course.
that's my current setup, you only need to activate ICS (internet connection sharing) on your pc.

D

Deleted-246289

If you are trying to connect a device to internet such as a wii or a DS, try using a virtual router(on your computer wireless card), and I think if you connect a WEP router to a WPA and use the device to connect to the WEP router it would work.
Actually it is a smart idea
wink.gif

Chrustoph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mjaoune said:
If you are trying to connect a device to internet such as a wii or a DS, try using a virtual router(on your computer wireless card), and I think if you connect a WEP router to a WPA and use the device to connect to the WEP router it would work.
Actually it is a smart idea
wink.gif

I use a D-link to pick up signal for my laptop.
With Connectify I seem to be able to pick up the signal and then re-transmit it from my dongle all in one shot but the continued broadcast remains as WPA.

What I was aiming for was, to pick up signal with my dongle and connect a router to my Ethernet port on my laptop and continue its transmission as G WEP so i could simply unplug the unit when I'm done with my DS. Windows 7 sets it up nicely and looks like it should work but every time I select share internet with Lan the dongle then connects to the LAN router and theres no internet lol. It does a loop.

So what I should do is connect the WEP router before the WPA router in order for this to work? afterwords, unplugging the WEP and and reconnecting the WPA directly to modem... as putting the WEP permanently before WPA will severely slow down my computers connections... technically... wouldn't it? Oh god I hate networking!

But this virtual router sounds sweet. I'm going to google that haha

I also tried using connectify adhoc from dongle to LAN router

Chrustoph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Elvarg said:
put your ip address in the toolbar and youll know what to do after that.

Yes you are helpful.

Anyway, I connected my WEP router's WAN to port 1 on my WPA connection. I can connect to both routers and access full internet through my computers! I connected to WEP through both my DS's, both of them test successful on the current setup and I can play Mario Kart... and thats about it. I tried logging in black ops, I got about 2 head shots and the connection on both NDS's failed. These routers arent crappy, both WPA and WEP router are "newer" and work consistently online through my house hold computers but periodically disconnect through my N DS's. yes multiples...
I should mention I was periodically getting Nintendo Error 85020.

I understand this error means server downtime (back in 4 years ago lol) , and it would make sence since mario kart was functional and Black ops kept failing periodically... but I think the problem is not Nintendo but more likely my setup....?

Elvarg

Zyzz™
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chrustoph said:
Elvarg said:
put your ip address in the toolbar and youll know what to do after that.

Yes you are helpful.

Anyway, I connected my WEP router's WAN to port 1 on my WPA connection. I can connect to both routers and access full internet through my computers! I connected to WEP through both my DS's, both of them test successful on the current setup and I can play Mario Kart... and thats about it. I tried logging in black ops, I got about 2 head shots and the connection on both NDS's failed. These routers arent crappy, both WPA and WEP router are "newer" and work consistently online through my house hold computers but periodically disconnect through my N DS's. yes multiples...
I should mention I was periodically getting Nintendo Error 85020.

I understand this error means server downtime (back in 4 years ago lol) , and it would make sence since mario kart was functional and Black ops kept failing periodically... but I think the problem is not Nintendo but more likely my setup....?

you have to many routers use the same one your using for mariokart.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chrustoph said:

no i have some time the same error , it is normal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system