Hacking Would you recommend G6 Real???

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an R4 but Im sick of sd cards. The only thing I worried about is future software updates for the G6 Real being ignored because of the lack of interest in the G6 its self.

But Im really sick of sd cards....

The only thing I am worried about is that quality of the G6 DS for running games, anyone got any problems?

Also I knw the homebrew scence is bad....

PS I think its actually quiet cheap / affordable...

So would you recommend the G6 Real??

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I'd recommend the G6DS Real

1. Internal memory
2. So far decent support
3. Best interface for game selection
4. 100% NDS compatability, may vary by card.
5. 100% homebrew compatability, 16g is having problems, though.
6. Built-in features of every card out there, Except the CycloDS's ingame menu.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You know what would make the G6R the best card?

These are just my opinions, though some would prefer the current condition of the card:

1. Homebrew. No brainer here. Homebrew actually corrupts the file system on my 16Gb G6 when I try to load one. Homebrew icons are also great! I hate the look of the normal icon, especially when you have several homebrew files in a single location (all files that are not recognized by the G6 are also given this icon, including corrupted games)

2. The ability to skin the top screen, even if there was to be a watermark saying G6 Real on it (that would be cool actually
tongue.gif
). This probably will not happen officially. Can anybody confirm that it was eventually possible (though hacks, or officially) on the G6 Lite?

3. The ability to choose to leave all the individual game settings are default and just boot the game straight up. A lot of people complain about the time it takes from booting the card to get in a game, and this would certainly ease some of their pain. The ability to choose this in the settings screen would be nice.

4. Sleep mode in the menu has a blinking light! The only card I've tried which has this is the R4, though there are probably more. Not necessary but it'd be cool.

5. This may be solved already, or able to be bypassed. When homebrew does become enabled, it will ask you to load slot 1 or slot 2 (In fact, I don't know what the hell they are trying to ask, it's running from the slot 1 so you may as well just leave it, unless it has a different meaning). Just make a default setting (for each file if necessary).

This is pretty much all that really matters. Game compatibility should be top notch anyway.

EDIT: Oh yea, I would recommend you get the G6R, but only if the homebrew problems are fully fixed. This shouldn't be a concern with the 8Gb, unless you also want homebrew icons like me
tongue.gif

I'll add another:

6. The ability to show headers rather than filenames and sizes. I'll find this addition rather nice (I like the ability to choose between file display on the CycloDSEvo)

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thinkin 16 Gb version for me...

Hopefully they fix the problems with homebrew...

Can u actually run any homebrew with the 16 Gb

Also the download play issues, how bad does that suc
frown.gif

ScottC2105

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got mine about 3 or 4 days ago now and I am loving it to bits. The card has the fastest memory than any other flash card (even faster then Japanese Kingston) so slow down will never be a problem.

Some homebrew works on the G6 Real 16Gbit and some doesn't, Danny over at the G6 team has informed me they are testing it out.

Download Play is going to have 100% compatibility in the next firmware update Danny has told me.

It is one of the only flash cards to support Wii Play (even Pokemon).

The build quality is great, seems solid enough.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for and I would recommend this over any other card. It is my first card and I am loving it!

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Download play is pretty good on the G6, it just needs another update which should be coming soon and these problems will be ironed out. The G6 team will be waiting to see what needs to be solved and what the customers want.

-poyZ!

Trophies
XP
Country
Absolutely hands down, kick ass card.

Download play is over-rated - Tell your friend to get a flashcart too, problem solved.

Homebrew.. bah.. overrated too, normal cart play works flawlessly -- if thats your criteria, buy this card tomorrow as its fantastic.

I bought two of the 16gbit g6reals for games and for that its a winner!

alienhead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the 8Gb (or 1GB), works perfectly. I have not had any problems what so ever. Download play, no one uses this but it works perfect. Homebrew, almost everything works. I have had a few homebrews bork, but a lot of people with various cards had had issues with them. Firmware updates would be cool, but the card works flawlessly. If it's not broke...So Yes, I would recommend this card.

Gouf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely hands down, kick ass card.

I agree. This is my first card, the 16G version, and I love it to death. Every game I tried runs on it.

As for homebrew, it wil be fixed as the card has great support. In the mean time, many Homebrews DO work (DSOrganize, Ipod EMU, Kana DS, Colors, GBC EMU, etc.)

So yes, hands down get this card!!!!

chalupa

Trophies
Website
nandatoe.tk
XP
Country
United States
In the end it all depends on how much you value homebrew, and you don't seem to care for it much so go for it.

PS your card may corrupt (mines corrupts like once every teo weeks := ( )

livefigga

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I want a G6 Real but I keep hearing about all these problems with it mainly corruptions and it not being recognized by computers and having to reformat it again and again to get it working. This should not be the case for a flash cart I have had a m3 micro sd lite for a year + now and I have never had any issues with it. Still I want a G6 Real for the internal flash, but reading all these problems it has does not make it seem to be a good product.

From what I've gathered reading various post on this site is G6 Real is great when it works, but alot of times it doesn't and you have to go through steps you shouldn't have to just to get it up and running again daily (formatting etc)

-poyZ!

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah I too am not so aware of these corruption issues... I would suggest if people stop the device in xp before yanking it out of the slot, these issues wouldnt exist.

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, this is the gist of it.

If you're not stupid or clumsy, your G6 should only ever corrupt at most ONCE.

If you cleanly jam the cart into the connector, and cleanly remove the connector after using windows safe hardware removal, your cart should never corrupt. Ever.

So unless you put a bad program, a virus gets onto it, or any other user stupidity issues, the G6 is an extremely stable cart.

Tips for not corrupting your G6:
1. Blow on both connectors every time you insert it in the USB connector, this isn't neccessary but makes it almost absolutely sure that you won't get the "USB Device Driver" window.

2. Jam your G6 in as far as it can go. This makes sure it's nice and tight, and the connection is solid.

3. Use safe hardware removal, it makes sure there are no open connections upon removal of the device.

4. Swiftly plug and pull your USB connector in and out. This minimizes the chance of multiple quick connections, which can damage your cart.

5. Make sure to NEVER, EVER, remove the cart from the USB connector when it is connected to a USB port. Don't nudge it, make sure your leg doesn't accidentally kick it. This is the most common reason why carts get corrupted.

6. Make sure your roms are clean and virus free (common sense)

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You know what would make the G6R the best card?

These are just my opinions, though some would prefer the current condition of the card:

1. Homebrew. No brainer here. Homebrew actually corrupts the file system on my 16Gb G6 when I try to load one. Homebrew icons are also great! I hate the look of the normal icon, especially when you have several homebrew files in a single location (all files that are not recognized by the G6 are also given this icon, including corrupted games)

3. The ability to choose to leave all the individual game settings are default and just boot the game straight up. A lot of people complain about the time it takes from booting the card to get in a game, and this would certainly ease some of their pain. The ability to choose this in the settings screen would be nice.

4. Sleep mode in the menu has a blinking light! The only card I've tried which has this is the R4, though there are probably more. Not necessary but it'd be cool.

5. This may be solved already, or able to be bypassed. When homebrew does become enabled, it will ask you to load slot 1 or slot 2 (In fact, I don't know what the hell they are trying to ask, it's running from the slot 1 so you may as well just leave it, unless it has a different meaning). Just make a default setting (for each file if necessary).

6. The ability to show headers rather than filenames and sizes. I'll find this addition rather nice (I like the ability to choose between file display on the CycloDSEvo)

I'm going to add to the G6R rant.

7. Touch calibration is off (it seems) half the time. The scroll bar is like to the right of the scroll bar image, and my screen has been calibrated perfectly.

8. Sticky brightness settings. I hate how it resets all the time.

9. Top screen image supporting 24bit BMP.

10. Sleep mode in menu actually goes to sleep. Any press of the buttons (shoulder ones) will activate the menu while the DS is still closed.

11. Get rid of the NDS folder.

12. Fix the sorting issues. Files are sorted automatically by the date of insertion

Haruspex

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
After i used the G6DS Real 1GB for many and many hours i will continue the rant.

Most critical

-Correct the stupid DLDI issues. The G6Team must release a working DLDI driver for gods sake. Still Moonshell 1.71 doesn't work 100% correctly, not to mention issues with other DLDI homebrews people reported. Also the DLDI Auto-patcher must have the ability to patch .nds files no matter where placed on the cart.

-Fix the softreset/cheats options on the problematic games. I was playing PES6 today on my G6DS Real because in my M3 DS Simply has more slowdowns than the G6DS Real, and guess what, if you enable the softreset option it corrupts your save!!! I am thinking to make a list of the problematic games i personally found and also some others i heard from other people and e-mail the G6 Team about that.

-100% download play. You can't advertise 100% download play and then other carts like M3/R4DS, supercard ds beats you on that part now. And these carts never claimed anything about 100% download play comp.

-Improve the loader speed. In M3 DS Simply/R4 DS the boot time, the response times and in general the loader is ultra-fast, and that proves that is well written. The only part the G6DS Real is faster is the loading of roms. But i guess that's because the G6DS Real doesn't need any patching like the M3/R4 or at least the patching it's not so aggressive. I bet it can load the roms even faster if they put some effort on the loader.

-WTF? They made a really stupid change in the 2.3 loader. Now you must open the "Game" option so the G6DS Real can write the save from the capacitor to cart. Just bring again the old "save system" when the save it's written automatically on the card.

-I dont have the 2GB version but people reported issues in some homebrews that doesn't exist in the 1GB version. What is up with that? Just fix this big issue A.S.A.P. Actually did they fix it in the 2.3 loader?

Less critical

-Just add a working feature that you can order the files in different ways and that setting is stored when you turn off the DS.

-Throw away the modified moonshell and just put the 1.71 version of original moonshell just like the R4 team done. Or at least give as an option on what to put in the Media Play Extend option.

-Show the headers of the homebrews and the nds games. True in the nds games it display the header icon but not the header filename. In the homebrews it doesn't display any header info lol

Well that was my G6DS Real rant.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love mine...I only play games with it like the come from the factory...in other words no cheats, no soft reset, no trim, ect and I have never had a problem. I like the 2.2 menu as it goes strait to my games which again is the ONLY thing I use my G6Real for. Sorting issue would be nice however a simple move of all games to the root of your G6Real, then move them back to your nds folder organizes them and you dont have to run any 3rd party software.

Haruspex

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I love mine...I only play games with it like the come from the factory...in other words no cheats, no soft reset, no trim, ect and I have never had a problem. I like the 2.2 menu as it goes strait to my games which again is the ONLY thing I use my G6Real for. Sorting issue would be nice however a simple move of all games to the root of your G6Real, then move them back to your nds folder organizes them and you dont have to run any 3rd party software.

I bet you have different alternative flashcarts for your homebrews needs and in general other stuff that the G6DS Real at the current moment can't do. As i have the M3DS Simply. But think those people who only have the G6DS Real. And yes from the looks on it the G6DS Real is aimed as a "1:1 NDS Game card" or something like that. But certainly it doesn't hurt if they can fix/add some features.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I almost forgot. This ordering system is bugging the shit out of my pants. How hard is it for them to make the G6DSR remembers brightness and sorting settings? They're like based on modification date (ever notice that the files that the G6R make, eg .0 save files, show up on the computer as having no modification date? Might be to do with the problem. I am fairly sure the R4 actually tells the time).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: And that game stick i'm tired of mentioning