Gaming Would This CPU Work...?

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I just bought a new motherboard for my system via an online site, it's an ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe LGA 775 Motherboard. Reading around it would seem an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor should work in it. But seeing as my computer knowledge is somewhat limited when it comes to Processor specifics I hope someone here might be able to answer it for me. If you have/know someone who's used this motherboard could you confirm if a Q6600 would be supported in it? The board can use 65nm processors which the above is. I use my PC for mostly surfing amongst also gaming so most recommend going with Quad over Dual. Since I'll be saving up to replace my P4 3.2GHz single core I'm thinking going with the better performance upgrade I can support (Being a quad-core for this specific motherboard.) is probably the best. Thanks.

jqwest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U definitely got to go with a 45nm quad core almost same price and way cooler for the future...dont even think about the q6600, its way past its prime

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
jqwest said:
U definitely got to go with a 45nm quad core almost same price and way cooler for the future...dont even think about the q6600, its way past its prime
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...e&product=1

AKA, in case you don't understand, the fastest thing that motherboard (officially) supports is a Pentium D 960, which is in essence 2 pentium 4 3,6GHz stuck together on one chip. Miles away from the core 2 duo and quad architecture. Depending on how cheap you can get that Pentium D, you might be better off with a different mobo, though the pentium d is quite an upgrade for multi threaded applications. Also from 3,2 to 3,6 is a small speed boost.

Also bear in mind that the correct BIOS must be installed on the motherboard for it to even boot / POST. As such say version 2 is on there and the processor is only supported from version 3 the system will be unable to boot regardless of whether both components are in perfect working condition. The only cure then is to upgrade the BIOS by using a different processor that is supported from BIOS 2 or 1 (assuming that 1 -> 2 did not loose support for CPUs). When ordering a motherboard one can never be sure unless it is specifically stated which BIOS version is supplied with the board.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well dual cores will perform better in games, quad cores are better for applications (encoding and what not) it wont really affect things like web browsing at all since there is very little cpu demand from them
jqwest said:
the Q6600 is going to be phased out this june
so yea, old tech getting replaced by the 45nm Q8 series

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, honestly I'm now a little confused what my board really is... According to the info I got here's the label for it:

MB-SK-775-AS-P5LD2WI

So now I'm not sure... Is it a P5LD2 or a P5LD2-Deluxe? I was thinking it was a Deluxe due to the mention of a WiFi controller built into it, but there's no mention of the TV tuner.

Info from site:

CPU

LGA775 socket for Intel® Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Processors
Intel® EM64T / EIST / Hyper-Threading Technology
Chipset

Intel 945P/G
Intel ICH7
Front Side Bus

1066/800/533 MHz

Memory

4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR2 667/533/400, Non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Dual Channel Architecture
* Due to general PC architecture, a small amount of memory is reserved for system usage and thus the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.
Expansion Slots

1 xPCI-E x16
2 xPCI-E x1
3 xPCI

Storage/RAID

Intel ICH7 Southbridge:
1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
4 x Serial ATA (3Gb/s)
Audio

ADI1986A 6-ch Audio CODEC
Jack Sensing and Enumeration
S/PDIF out interface

LAN

RTL8111B PCI-E Gb LAN controller
RTL8187L 802.11 802.11a/b/g wireless controller

USB

6 USB2.0 ports

Overclocking Features

SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection): from 100MHz up to 450MHz at 1MHz increment
ASUS PEG Link
vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.025 V increment
ASUS EZFlash
Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio. Fixed PCI/PCIe frequencies.
4-step DRAM voltage control
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Other ASUS Special Features

ASUS Q-Fan

Back Panel I/O Ports

1 x Parallel
1 x Serial
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x Audio I/O
1 x RJ45
1 x S/PDIF Out (Coaxial)
4 x USB

Info above says Celeron D/Pentium D/Pentium 4 are supported. But again it could just be then that it's got an outdated BIOS installed since it's an OEM version. I might not know until it arrives. :/

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I know this may throw you off a bit, but I noticed you are also getting a mother board and not just updating your processor. Have you considered getting one of those newer intel i7 processor, with an i7 mobo?

The reason I'm asking is because I just recently got parts to my new pc (should arrive tomorrow), and I was considering getting a q 9650, but then I noticed that the i7 920 was cheaper, and upon seeing benchmark tests, it has a 20 to 30% gain compared to the q9650. I ended up getting an i7 system for less money than a core 2 quad system.

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Myke said:
I know this may throw you off a bit, but I noticed you are also getting a mother board and not just updating your processor. Have you considered getting one of those newer intel i7 processor, with an i7 mobo?

The reason I'm asking is because I just recently got parts to my new pc (should arrive tomorrow), and I was considering getting a q 9650, but then I noticed that the i7 920 was cheaper, and upon seeing benchmark tests, it has a 20 to 30% gain compared to the q9650. I ended up getting an i7 system for less money than a core 2 quad system.

Unfortunately a Quad doesn't seem to be an option for me after all. My motherboard appears to be an ASUS P5LD2 SE version which doesn't support Quads. So alternative is to get a Dual Core like suggested. But until it arrives I'll have to wait to see if Core 2 Duo or just Pentium/Celeron D's are supported. As for the motherboard I don't do upgrades very often. I got the motherboard for under $27.00 and at this time seems like a waste to toss it out for something else after buying it. I'm on a somewhat tight budget anyway so I'll go for the best alternative I can get that'll be supported for my motherboard. Until then, this thread served its purpose more or less and can probably be locked or left alone now.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joe88 said:
I doubt the 945 chipset supports core 2 duo's even with the newest bios update
Whichi s why I posted the link to the asus website which clearly states the CPU support list, and why I stated in my post the fastest CPU supported would be the Pentium D960... A well...

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Joe88 said:
Whichi s why I posted the link to the asus website which clearly states the CPU support list, and why I stated in my post the fastest CPU supported would be the Pentium D960... A well...

I was wrong in the type of board mine was. It's actually an ASUS P5LD2 SE which can support Intel Core 2 Duo providing it's a PCB R2.0 version. So when my motherboard arrives I'll have to check the revision in the BIOS to see if it can/can't support it. Now, my board IS a P5LD2 SE version, but apparently it's one of the models where the 3rd PCI slot has been removed and instead fitted with an on-board WiFi controller.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
SamusKnight2K said:
Scorpei said:
Joe88 said:

I was wrong in the type of board mine was. It's actually an ASUS P5LD2 SE which can support Intel Core 2 Duo providing it's a PCB R2.0 version. So when my motherboard arrives I'll have to check the revision in the BIOS to see if it can/can't support it. Now, my board IS a P5LD2 SE version, but apparently it's one of the models where the 3rd PCI slot has been removed and instead fitted with an on-board WiFi controller.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...E&product=1
As far as I can see there are 3 revisions of the board. Rev. 1 rev. 2.00G and 2.01G. If not much else has changed you can probably flash the BIOS of the later revisions on a rev.1 board. If not, you're stuck with the same Pentium D960. And indeed, you will need the proper BIOS version. The number of supported procs isn;t that high though... Have fun ^^. BTW, you do understand you need a CPU installed (a supported one) to see POST and thus see the BIOS version installed right...?

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I'm aware of that. My current processor is supported even w/o the BIOS upgrades. I have a P4 3.2GHz w/HT Single Core.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: