Would Nintendo fix my 3ds xl even though I tried to fix it?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Mango Katt, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Mango Katt
    OP

Mango Katt Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    I don't know where else to ask this question. Would Nintendo fix my 3ds xl even though I tried to fix it?

2. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    What is the issue and how did you try to fix it?

3. Mango Katt
    OP

Mango Katt Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    top lcd blank screen

4. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    How, and how much did you try to fix it yourself? It's not a brick but an actual hardware fault? You can still see things on the bottom screen?

5. Mango Katt
    OP

Mango Katt Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    Basically hinge broke then the top lcd didn't came one but the bottom lcd came on then one day it stop coming on all together then I pulled apart and saw that the top lcd ribbon was tore so I replace that and both screens won't come on.

6. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    I see. Personally I'd just send it and at least see what they say. Don't have any first hand experience from Nintendo repairs so if you want more information, let's hope someone who has experience will post ^^

Last edited by Shadowfied, Jan 28, 2016
    Mango Katt likes this.
  7. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    if you opened it, they will send it back to you as is.

8. Mango Katt
    OP

Mango Katt Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    if you opened it, they will send it back to you as is.

Personal experience or they have on their website? I checked and I didn't see it

Last edited by Mango Katt, Jan 28, 2016
  9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Well, there's been a few posts here about that. They can and will find out if you've tampered with the system (opened it).

10. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    they will most likely fix it but they're going to charge you full price over $100 almost for sure

Mango Katt likes this.
  11. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    I've never opened my 3DS, but does it even have a "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" or anything in order to open it?

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    they should be able to tell by scratches on screws and if the cable isn't actually the original one etc.
    an does it even still have warranty?
    just buy a new one. you may be able to sell the old one for 20 bucks on ebay.

13. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    ive had nintendo fix things for free years after the warranty had run out that they believed was a defect on their part.
    but even still under warranty if they can tell it has been tempered with its going to cost you.
    i had a problem with a ds i tried to fix myself it ended up being a few dollars cheaper to buy a used one even better once i sold my broken one for $30

Blue_Mew likes this.
  14. Mango Katt
    OP

Mango Katt Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2015
    United States
    they should be able to tell by scratches on screws and if the cable isn't actually the original one etc.
    an does it even still have warranty?
    just buy a new one. you may be able to sell the old one for 20 bucks on ebay

I won't be able to transfer $65.00 worth of games on the new 3ds xl. And because Nintendo close down Club Nintendo. I can't bring up those games

Last edited by Mango Katt, Jan 28, 2016
  15. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    From what I experience right now:
    - the cheapest way to get your games back if you have another console is to use their email dedicated to Nintendo accounts unlinking (in France: nnid@nintendo.fr ). They will do it for free if you give your account datas (name and password) then you can link it yourself to your other 3DS.
    - if you really want to repair your broken console, you have to send it to them. They will examine it then determinate what needs to be done, send you an email about the price if the 1year garantie is expired (for an electronic problem, it is around 60€ for an old 3DS or 2DS). You can accept it or refuse it, it will then cost you around 13€.
    - I myself wanted to transfer from a broken console to a new one the SD datas, but it must go through the reparation of the broken one as well.

Last edited by AyanamiRei, Jan 29, 2016