Hacking Would like to update to 4.0

brento

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, last month I downgraded to firmware 3.2 so I could softmod my Wii.
I have several Virtual Console and WiiWare games on my Wii and I heard that in firmware 4.0 it is possible to run the games off of an SD Card which sounds terrific.
I was wondering, would updating my console to 4.0 potentially brick my Wii?
Thanks
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
brento said:
Hey guys, last month I downgraded to firmware 3.2 so I could softmod my Wii.
I have several Virtual Console and WiiWare games on my Wii and I heard that in firmware 4.0 it is possible to run the games off of an SD Card which sounds terrific.
I was wondering, would updating my console to 4.0 potentially brick my Wii?
Thanks
smile.gif

Most likely not, but of course it is possible. If your Wii is older than about mid 2008ish or so, the best thing to do right now would be to run the hackmii installer and install bootmii to boot2 if it allows you to. Then use that to make a NAND backup of the current state of your Wii, and then attempt to update to 4.0/4.1 from there.

Read through the guide in my sig if you want to learn about everything done to your Wii and how to use most anything you would need to use now. If you install a cIOS from where you are now (if you haven't already) before updating to 4.0/4.1, then you will not need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer.

Either way, if you read through the entire thing you should know what you will and will not need to use to update your Wii.

Also the SD card menu that comes with 4.0/4.1 doesn't REALLY load your games from your SD card. What it does is allows you to store them all to your SD card and then when you want to run one of them, it will seamlessly copy it back to the Wii's memory and load it from there. So at any given time, there will still be one of the games on the Wii's memory. Then when another game is loaded, that game is deleted from the Wii's memory and the other game is copied to it instead.

As far as the user is concerned, it will seem like it is loading from the SD card so it works well enough, but you DO have to have at least enough space on your Wii to run the one game that you want to run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hello