Homebrew would it be possible to patch OOT with MM 2nd analog camera controls?

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Definitely possible, the only thing that currently would make it so insanely difficult is the lack of a proper debugger.
Since Citra is doing a fine job emulating this game already, a decent debugger and a skilled programmer could do that.
But it would take time and dedication and I don't see anyone dedicated enough to create a rather redundant hack you could live perfectly without.

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely possible, the only thing that currently would make it so insanely difficult is the lack of a proper debugger.
Since Citra is doing a fine job emulating this game already, a decent debugger and a skilled programmer could do that.
But it would take time and dedication and I don't see anyone dedicated enough to create a rather redundant hack you could live perfectly without.

how is it redundant?
it wasnt redundant in MM or else N wouldnt have added it

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
how is it redundant?
it wasnt redundant in MM or else N wouldnt have added it
Redundant probably isn't the right word, but unnecessary seems about right. Having completed OoT, OoT Master Quest, and MM on the 3DS, all without a second analog, I can safely say the game is easy to play without. Really, the gyroscopic camera aiming is super easy to use in conjunction with the slide pad to make for a relatively easy to manage experience.

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Redundant probably isn't the right word, but unnecessary seems about right. Having completed OoT, OoT Master Quest, and MM on the 3DS, all without a second analog, I can safely say the game is easy to play without. Really, the gyroscopic camera aiming is super easy to use in conjunction with the slide pad to make for a relatively easy to manage experience.

oh yeah forgot about the gyro camera control that might even make it easier to remap gyro control to the analog nub

yeah i have finished OOT and master quest like 2 and a half times each on regular 3ds

the game has good replay value i wouldnt mind a replay with having the extra camera control

the gyro controls on the regular 3ds are absolutely fucking useless on old 3ds though ,well they are if you are trying to play in 3d you cant move the console around for gyro controls and keep the sweet spot for the 3d at the same time
the gyro control are also annoying to begin with
i suppose this would be possible on the N3ds though with the face tracking 3d

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, but replacing graphics, text, and editing maps don't require reversing the game engine. remapping and, more specifically, creating new controls does.

Someone did it for the DS Zelda games though, so it's not impossible. DS Zelda Games use the stylus to control Link and a patch was released to be able to control Link with the D-Pad, like in the old games.

But yeah, it's probably not so easy to do.

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone did it for the DS Zelda games though, so it's not impossible. DS Zelda Games use the stylus to control Link and a patch was released to be able to control Link with the D-Pad, like in the old games.

really can you post a lnk id be interested that

chicodiesel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks but i cant figure out the instructions for patching PH ,they suck.
it says to put the"zelda.bin" file in the directory with the patcher.exe and patcher.bat, THERE IS NO "zelda.bin" file in the zip or the rar archive

Notice that this is for loz-spirit tracks. I'll try to list the steps in order for you to apply the patch.

1."zelda.bin" is supposed to be the game file (should be in .nds format) that you're supposed to have in order to do this patch. For this step google is your friend;). For now lets just call this file game.nds
2. place game.nds in the extracted patch folder.
3. run cmd.exe and locate the folder.
4. type xdelta.exe -d -s game.nds zelda_spirit_tracks_dpad.xdelta
5. ??? profit
6. your new file should be called zelda_spirit_tracks_dpad.nds

I hope this helps :yaysp:

weatMod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Notice that this is for loz-spirit tracks. I'll try to list the steps in order for you to apply the patch.

1."zelda.bin" is supposed to be the game file (should be in .nds format) that you're supposed to have in order to do this patch. For this step google is your friend;). For now lets call this file game.nds.
2. place the file in the extracted patch folder.
3. run cmd.exe and locate the folder.
4. type xdelta.exe -d -s game.nds zelda_spirit_tracks_dpad.xdelta
5. ??? profit
6. your new file should be called zelda_spirit_tracks_dpad.nds

I hope this helps :yaysp:

thanks yes i already understood the ST patch instrusction it was the PH one that was confusing but it worked anyways , now i just cant figure out the rest of the controls

dpad is working for moving and spin and side slash but there was additional controls added in oter oathes but i guess the Op was never updated in the thread linked in the ST thread cause the other links are dead, oh well good enough

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania

to be fair the d pad controls in spirit tracks/phantom hourglass were a very simple hack. they merely mapped the dpad to particular points on the screen being touched

eg dpad left touched x=0 y=96

this worked fine because link would just walk towards wherever your stylus touched

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
What OP is asking is pretty much impossible (Looking at it realistically), It requires reverse engineering the assembly code, figuring out where the controls are handled, remapping or even completely adding code to it. Which is insanely difficult.

In the end it IS possible, but the time and skills required to do it make it pretty much not worth doing.. It'd be faster to mail nintendo / start a petition to ask for it so they can patch it in..

GTA San Andreas is one example of a much more complex game engine, yet it didn't stop SA:MP or MTA.
Once there is will and skill...

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GTA San Andreas is one example of a much more complex game engine, yet it didn't stop SA:MP or MTA.
Once there is will and skill...

GTA San andreas had a scripting engine available.. You could program anything you wanted in there.. and the fact that the whole game was made in a way to be moddable.. That's not the case here..

It's completely uncomparable.. It's almost saying like, making an emulator for Xbox360 games is just as easy as modding minecraft.

Reactions: WeedZ

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
GTA San andreas had a scripting engine available.. You could program anything you wanted in there.. and the fact that the whole game was made in a way to be moddable.. That's not the case here..

It's completely uncomparable.. It's almost saying like, making an emulator for Xbox360 games is just as easy as modding minecraft.

n**** please...
https://code.google.com/p/mtasa-blue/source/browse/trunk/MTA10/game_sa/CCameraSA.cpp

edit: also, WTF? a game developed for PS2 (and only then ported to PC) made to be moddable? are we talking about the same game here?

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can get a pointer to the view matrix and figure out your way through the C-Stick input it might be doable.

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
n**** please...
https://code.google.com/p/mtasa-blue/source/browse/trunk/MTA10/game_sa/CCameraSA.cpp

edit: also, WTF? a game developed for PS2 (and only then ported to PC) made to be moddable? are we talking about the same game here?

Theres a difference in hooking into a process and adding code to a compiled object.

Modifying code in an .exe for example to make a new feature is WAAYY harder, on windows it's doable, but try doing it in an closed system with a compiled source of a 3ds/xbox360/ps3 game. I'll guarantee you it's almost impossible. If it wasn't then each console would be hacked in no time, just add code for the game to load your haxxor script and you're in..

That's why we use payloads with entrypoints for our hacks, because modding an actual game to get to the entrypoint is just too hard.

-Oh and as far as I know the ps2 version is not moddable, only the PC version is, which has a lot more features AND moddability

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Theres a difference in hooking into a process and adding code to a compiled object.

Modifying code in an .exe for example to make a new feature is WAAYY harder, on windows it's doable, but try doing it in an closed system with a compiled source of a 3ds/xbox360/ps3 game. I'll guarantee you it's almost impossible. If it wasn't then each console would be hacked in no time, just add code for the game to load your haxxor script and you're in..

That's why we use payloads with entrypoints for our hacks, because modding an actual game to get to the entrypoint is just too hard.

-Oh and as far as I know the ps2 version is not moddable, only the PC version is, which has a lot more features AND moddability
Ps2 version my be actually. I remember adding custom vehicles and skins to the Xbox version.

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
Theres a difference in hooking into a process and adding code to a compiled object...
No, not really. If anything, being able to modify the code beforehand is easier, because you don't have to deal with timing issues, randomized relocations, heap allocations appearing at unpredictable places etc.
The reason we need entrypoints is because of encryption and code signing, neither of which is an issue when using Gateway. Otherwise it's just plain ARM code, no magic there. Camera- and control-modifying cheats for DS games are commonplace, and 3ds game code isn't radically more complex.

And yes, GTA:SA for PC, like pretty much every other PC game is moddable, but certainly not "made in a way to be moddable" as Source-based games are, for example.

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, not really. If anything, being able to modify the code beforehand is easier, because you don't have to deal with timing issues, randomized relocations, heap allocations appearing at unpredictable places etc.
The reason we need entrypoints is because of encryption and code signing, neither of which is an issue when using Gateway. Otherwise it's just plain ARM code, no magic there. Camera- and control-modifying cheats for DS games are commonplace, and 3ds game code isn't radically more complex.

And yes, GTA:SA for PC, like pretty much every other PC game is moddable, but certainly not "made in a way to be moddable" as Source-based games are, for example.

Ok then, by all means go do what OP said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk