Homebrew would it be possible to patch OOT with MM 2nd analog camera controls?

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's a waste of time trying to tackle this now, we just don't have the access we need to make this a reality.

Wait until one of the custom firmwares in progress has been released.

Once we have kernel access, an arm11 plugin that allows us to remap controls and such should be relatively easy.

Patching games to support the CPP and the new3DSes extra buttons will be a little trickier, but not impossible.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a waste of time trying to tackle this now, we just don't have the access we need to make this a reality.

Wait until one of the custom firmwares in progress has been released.

Once we have kernel access, an arm11 plugin that allows us to remap controls and such should be relatively easy.

Patching games to support the CPP and the new3DSes extra buttons will be a little trickier, but not impossible.
Cfw is being worked on? Where can I find info on this?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before that I would rather ask them to release a 3ds update so the cpp triggers can work in all games

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cfw is being worked on? Where can I find info on this?
Roxas75's CFW "rxMode" was released yesterday as part of his latest rxTools update. But it's closed source, so the only way a button mapping feature would be added is if he added it himself.

KARL3DS is nearing completion and should allow something like what is being discussed here via homebrew.

Edit: I think Aliak11 is also working on something as well.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No, not really. If anything, being able to modify the code beforehand is easier, because you don't have to deal with timing issues, randomized relocations, heap allocations appearing at unpredictable places etc.

The reason we need entrypoints is because of encryption and code signing, neither of which is an issue when using Gateway. Otherwise it's just plain ARM code, no magic there. Camera- and control-modifying cheats for DS games are commonplace, and 3ds game code isn't radically more complex.

Small clarification/Nope: game engines DO install or execute code that may go back and forth the static compiled code[rom] and the process[ram]. Like interrupt handler code on areas that are used as stack for other operations, OR rely on processes that may spinlock while it takes place. You can't easily move that data elsewhere because most code will point to the stack you use now. A process is basically static data assigned to program from compiled machine code, and modifying the game engine requires to reverse engineer everything handled in the CPU, and possibly require self modifying code if you can't touch the static compiled code.

We are talking about a compiled game for a gaming console:
For example, DMA callbacks to CPU are used by games as a mean to installer code (handling of exceptions or script engine) or timing related data transfers. If you want to modify say, handlers, you need to find out what is actually copied over DMA, then relocate the destination of the current workram used by stacks (that is not necessarily the stack pointer), make your way with an entrypoint, and use a stack that will not be rewritten by the previously/upcoming program flow, execute the instruction you stole (replaced by the entrypoint), and then restore the program flow. This requires reverse engineering the whole compiled code and keep in mind the whole memory overlay so data actually makes sense for the compiled code.

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about button mapping, I just read new cfw

Karl developers are on that pushing morality bandwagon. Don't think I'll be messing with that.

yup heres to hoping someone figures their way around their restrictions and supposedly well be able to at least install "legit" cia files for now

i dont believe they mentioned anything about button mapping but i guess it may be possible through a homebrew app

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't care about button mapping, I just read new cfw

Karl developers are on that pushing morality bandwagon. Don't think I'll be messing with that.
Ah, well I don't care about pirating 3DS games, so KARL3DS is exactly what I'm looking for and as of right now, it's the closest thing available to a PSP style CFW. Exciting times ahead for those of us who don't care for ROM loading, and frustration those of you that do.

Aliak11 has started work on his fully open source CFW built upon the KARL3DS team's ninjhax based bootstrap.

Progress is going to be slow, but I think that's to be expected. It's going to be difficult find capable devs that are willing to contribute to a ROM loader, well contribute publicly anyhow.

I realise you probably have nothing to contribute, but at least you'll be among peers whose moral compass is aligned with your own.

If complaining about the KARL3DS developers ethics cut a day of development time off OSKA's progress, then it would be ready for release in seven days months. :lol:

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not complaining, just stating that I'm not interested in supporting their propaganda. My moral compass always points to not imposing your own beliefs on others. So its personal politics and not necessarily the want for piracy. Piracy is already available, I have no need to bitch about anti-piracy otherwise.

Reactions: minexew

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not complaining, just stating that I'm not interested in supporting their propaganda. My moral compass always points to not imposing your own beliefs on others. So its personal politics and not necessarily the want for piracy. Piracy is already available, I have no need to bitch about anti-piracy otherwise.
Fair point. Sorry if you feel I was imposing my anti piracy beliefs on you (I probably was).

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fair point. Sorry if you feel I was imposing my anti piracy beliefs on you (I probably was).
I was actually referring to the devs that set conditions on their software based on their own ideals of what the scene should be, not you specifically. your post just made me feel that I needed clarify where I was coming from.

Edit. I wasn't offended, really. I know there is a huge debate about this going on right now. Everyone is on the defensive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night