Hardware Would dual analog make a difference?

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
Midna said:
I fail to see any irony at all. Have you never played a PC shooter?
I managed to decipher the madness, but at first all I heard at first was "I HAZ BIO ASSASSINS CALL OF GEARS EFFECT REDEMPTION IV: ODST AND CANT PLAY ON PORTABLE! DFGSDGSDSAGDDERP"

I'm very, very sorry for all of the dual-analog fans out there, but this pretty much sums up my opinion.

PC shooters came first, and eventually developed the mouse and keyboard setup. It's an established way of playing shooter games, and people have been fine with it long before the dual analog stick setup was ever concieved. Many hail the mouse and keyboard setup to be the most responsive way to play shooters to this day. Granted, that's their opinion, but the fact is, millions of PC gamers can't be wrong. So, first and foremost, double analog sticks is not, has not ever been, and never will be the "only good way" to play First Person Shooters.

Eventually, when home consoles started offering their own alternative control schemes, we adapted, and learned to live with it. Many console control schemes have proved to be quite reliable in the end, and many gamers today, old and new, are quite accustomed to it. But now, with all the portable consoles lacking that second analog stick, instead of learning to adapt to the new scheme like gamers did before, they're complaining, as if the dual analog option is the holy standard for FPS games, and it's a sacrilegious sin to try and change it. Once again, that's just their opinion, and that doesn't make it fact...

In short, there is nothing that makes the console setup any better than the mouse and keyboard (or the touch screen setup, etc..) to an extent that console shooters are "the only good shooters", just because you're accustomed to it. In fact, many, if not all of today's console shooters have the ol' PC shooters to thank for their awesomeness. Heck, Call of Duty started out as a PC franchise. To say that console shooters are better just sounds provincial, and, well, ridiculously noobish (for lack of a better term). There's no reason your personal control preference should directly influence the design of a console. Please get over over it, swallow your self-proclaimed pride, and learn to adapt, just like the rest of us.

:/

That being said, I think we'll live with just one stick.
You speak for so very few people, that nobody cares. I do agree that the PC has a better setup with mouse and keypad, but it simply doesn't exist with the other consoles. There was a controller released for PS3 that had a mouse, but it failed, since most people don't want to bother with it. For a PC gamer that has been playing FPS since Doom, I imagine there might be a learning curve to adjust to consoles. But for console gamers, I don't think many would have any problem handing your ass to your face with dual analogue controllers.

Here's how I feel about FPS controls, from best to worst:

The PC is the grand champ, since mouse control gives you 100% accuracy, although you have to use the WASD on the keyboard to control the main movement. The Xbox and Xbox 360 are next for me, since the analog sticks are "offsett" giving the player a better use of the face buttons, plus the analog sticks on Xbox are more "firm" and provide better accuracy. The PSX, PS2, and PS3 analog sticks (same feel amongst 15 years of gaming), feel very sloppy and loose, making it very hard for me to play games like Killzone 2. I simply hate FPS on Playstation platforms, and the controller need to evolve.

Then there's the touch screen on the DS. This is a mixed bag that I've come to hate over time. If you use the touch screen for gameplay, you block half of the action with your hand and stylus. If you use the touch screen to control movement on the top screen, you're already using too many hands, the buttons are limited, and only a thumb-stylus is recommended.

Even further back is the PSP, which falls back to the N64 days of poor FPS control, namely Goldeneye 007. I have fond memories of this game, like everyone else, but if you tried to play modern FPS where the face buttons controlled your ability to look up and down, you'd throw your controller through the window. Using X,Y,A,B, or Triangle,Square,X, or Y to aim your movement is simply 1994, and nothing better.

So dual analog won't be the deciding factor as to whether I buy a 3DS or not, but I would love to see it, since it's just another gameplay option that could only be benefitial in every way. For PC gamers responding to controls on a handheld, get a Pandora and STFU.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
^^ The wii had great fps control (for me, at least)

@ topic, it think a 2nd analog would be overkill.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I've been thinking about fps gaming on the 3DS, and I think I may have devised a working control system.

Okay. The touch screen is used for all the secondary stuff. Menus, maybe maps. But during gameplay, the touch screen is used for aiming, just like a mouse in PC shooters. Movement is accomplished with either the D Pad or the slide pad. L is the shoot button. And for lefties, they'd have to make do with abxy for movement and R for shooting. It's a bit like a mix between dual analog and keyboard/mouse.

I apolagise if this has been done, or if indeed it's already been implimented in a DS shooter. I don't play those.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
I've been thinking about fps gaming on the 3DS, and I think I may have devised a working control system.

Okay. The touch screen is used for all the secondary stuff. Menus, maybe maps. But during gameplay, the touch screen is used for aiming, just like a mouse in PC shooters. Movement is accomplished with either the D Pad or the slide pad. L is the shoot button. And for lefties, they'd have to make do with abxy for movement and R for shooting. It's a bit like a mix between dual analog and keyboard/mouse.

I apolagise if this has been done, or if indeed it's already been implimented in a DS shooter. I don't play those.
This is exacty what FPS on the DS are today, and why I started this topic, hoping that there would be a legitimate control scheme, unlike what you just said. Using the touchcreen for FPS only tries to make up for everything that's lost. That's why most DS games have to use the touch screen for not only aiming, but for changing weapon-types, ammo, stance, using items, and everything else that's convenient on a dual analog controller.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
This is exacty what FPS on the DS are today, and why I started this topic, hoping that there would be a legitimate control scheme, unlike what you just said. Using the touchcreen for FPS only tries to make up for everything that's lost. That's why most DS games have to use the touch screen for not only aiming, but for changing weapon-types, ammo, stance, using items, and everything else that's convenient on a dual analog controller.

Blechh, now that you mention it, I do have to agree that this sort of thing definitely does tick me off. Why have all that clutter on the touch screen?

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
geoflcl said:
dsfanatic5 said:

Blechh, now that you mention it, I do have to agree that this sort of thing definitely does tick me off. Why have all that clutter on the touch screen?
They should map it to the D-Pad like mgs portable ops.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You still have 7 buttons unused in that control scheme. Start and select probably wouldn't be used, same with the unused shoulder button, but abxy or the D-Pad could serve for those functions, even if you'd have to stop aiming for a sec. I dunno.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Actually i've been playing NDS FPS and I actually really like the DS aiming feature, it lets you aim better AND quicker, but that's just me...
Lol imagine a left thumb stick combined with ABXY, A slide pad with buttons on it xP
This is off topic but i have a HUGE feeling that CoD on the 3DS won't have the 3D feature to boost the gameplay.

Blueicm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply put 2 analog stick would be nice but they aren't necessary. The gyro could act as second analog or even the face tracking camera, maybe both. Nintendo is about innovation not repetition. FPS have failed on the DS but I'm sure Nintendo will or has taken this into account.
yaynds.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Does it? This is their way of making the Slide Pad more central. Ever try to use the PSP analog nub? It's on the bottom and it's awkward to use.

Actually, I find the PSP D-Pad awkward as well. Maybe that wasn't a great purchase for me. At least i can play Metal Gear.

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If there's a thing I've learned about Sony's d-pad is that it's not for anyone, personally I hate it. When I first tried the PSP I didn't even noticed it had a analog control stick lol, I thought it was a mic or something.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
I still reckon a dual analogue portable would be very uncomfortable because of how you'd have to hold your thumbs for the 2nd analogue.
pandora_echt.jpg

Excuse me whilst I play some LOZ: OoT and Lylat Wars on that.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just popping in to remind everyone about the issue with left-handed people. I'm left handed.
The issue is that the dual-analog control scheme would solve problems with the analog+touch screen combo for lefties, as we'd actually have an analog stick to use instead of the digital ABXY buttons. Although I'd be fine if they included a thumb-shaped stylus instead
biggrin.gif

trans am

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only issue would be if you had to use the stylus with the right hand if you're a lefty because controlling the analog stick with either hand is very easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Metal_Gear +1