OneMichael

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
atomicat.com
XP
Country
Canada
Mmmm, I don't know? If it wrapped the game with headers and recorded a two-bit image of half the screen at a time using interleaving, and maybe two or three frames a second, it could be possible!
Mind you, on games with full stacks it would end up crashing, but I'm sure that's only a minor detail. Who plays those kinds of highly-graphical, fast-paced games?

B

ball2012003

that would be pretty cool
but why not just use a regular camera to record your gameplay

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, here's the issue. The DS has no operating system, so you cannot run more than one program at once. Once the game you want is loaded, the "video capturing" homebrew would be shut out of memory entirely and the game would take over. Thus, the only possible option would be to patch the rom directly, but then the question is, where would you store the captured images? And then there's the fact that the DS hardware only has a function to capture a screenshot of the primary screen (which is chosen by the developer).

So in essence, even asking for in-game screenshots is a terribly high request. I believe the CycloDS Evo team was looking into supporting in-game screenshots, but only a few at a time due to memory restrictions, and you'd have to store them in RAW format until you had the chance to convert to a human-viewable format. I don't know if anything ever became of that.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sarvesh50 said:
haha the crappy 4 mb ram is always the crappy problem in the nds homebrew scene
Troll detected. The amount of RAM in the DS has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of a screen recorder.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that is called a NITRO kit, and it's not available for public use. That same hardware is also what allows them to output the DS video to regular TV screens. A cool device indeed, but not something we can count on ever being able to use for our own personal usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...